Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Derby, who I thought were, with Middlebrough, the benchmark........

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
A mere blip, we won't catch them now.

There's very nearly half the season still to go..................

I'm not saying we will catch them, but it's much too early to come to that sort of conclusion.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Middlesbro were relegated in 08/09 season, so no parachute payments for them at mo.

That's true but the Boro squad has been 3 years in the making and the manager has had about 5 transfer windows to put it together.

I don't think the Brighton performance yesterday has turned the corner yet. I don't think we were as dominant as we are capable of being and I think confidence is not as high as it was a month ago; however I do think that some of the players attitudes were changed yesterday and that's a start because some of the attitudes of some players had changed in recent weeks, in a negative way and I think the defeat at Rotherham might have done us a favour because I have a feeling that the players might have been told a few home truths after that match.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I think there's a few tinted glasses when it comes to our performances during our good run. I remember coming away from home games against the likes of Rotherham thinking bliming heck that was hard work. A huge part of our success was, for me, down to hard work and then the odd moments of quality from the likes of LuaLua to begin with, then Zamora and so on. Over a long season, with the injuries we accumulated, I think fatigue played a big part in our poor form. 2 week break after Huddersfield on Saturday is very welcome. New signings bedding in and injured players returning, I think we'll be okay.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
That's true but the Boro squad has been 3 years in the making and the manager has had about 5 transfer windows to put it together.

I don't think the Brighton performance yesterday has turned the corner yet. I don't think we were as dominant as we are capable of being and I think confidence is not as high as it was a month ago; however I do think that some of the players attitudes were changed yesterday and that's a start because some of the attitudes of some players had changed in recent weeks, in a negative way and I think the defeat at Rotherham might have done us a favour because I have a feeling that the players might have been told a few home truths after that match.

Having an extra captain in Ridgewell and the of signing Knockaert will have been a boost.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

I think the team were read the riot act after Rotherham.

Hopefully we've turned the corner now, and with three winnable home games coming up, we're still not out of it.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Albion http://www.whoscored.com/Teams/211 Possession football. More weaknesses than the opposition. Individual mistakes.
Burnley http://www.whoscored.com/Teams/184 Long balls
Hull http://www.whoscored.com/Teams/214 Possession football
Birmingham http://www.whoscored.com/Teams/157 Long balls
Wednesday http://www.whoscored.com/Teams/25
Boro http://www.whoscored.com/Teams/21 Possession football
Derby http://www.whoscored.com/Teams/20 Possession football

Possession high stats: Derby, Hull, Brighton, Boro Poor: Burnley, Birmingham
Passing best: Derby, Boro, Hull. Poor: Birmingham, Burnley, Ipswich
Aerials best: Hull, Burnley. Poor: Wednesday, Boro, Birmingham
Shots per game: Hull, Brighton, Derby. Poor; Burnley, Wednesday
Goals from penalty area: Burnley, Hull, Derby, Birmingham
Shots on target: Hull
Not getting dispossessed: Boro.

Not neccesarily good indicators:
Defensive interceptions best: Boro, Birmingham, Hull Poor: Derby

http://www.soccerperformance.org/training/introstylesofplay.htm

My comments:

It is not clear to me the various styles of play of the clubs:

Albion: still think we play Possession style relying on individual skill for goals, but block defending and we don't play out of the back as much if at all.
Burnley: They seem more direct to me.
Hull: Mixed style, high energy pressing sometimes
Birmingham: Counter-attacking
Wednesday: Counter attacking
Boro: Counter attacking
Derby: Possession football

I think the clash of styles cause the strange results.

On stats, I would go for

Hull
Derby
-------------------
Brighton
Boro
Wednesday
Burnley

Brighton should have the best room for improvement by cutting out the individual mistakes.
However, one of giving away free l kicks in dangerous areas seems to be ingrained for several seasons now.

Last edited:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Conclusion:

If we play direct against Burnley we will get beat as that is their style. Play possession football and we should be good for a draw.
If we play possession football against Derby, I think they might be better at it and we would have to mix it up a bit or else we will lose or draw.
If we play too direct against Boro or Wednesday they will catch us on the break, especially the former.
If we play any way against Hull we could lose or win, but it would best to play to our possession football strengths.

PS: Defensive, stopping the other side from shooting: Best: Hull, Poor: Burnley.

Last edited:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Conclusion:

If we play direct against Burnley we will get beat as that is their style. Play possession football and we should be good for a draw.
If we play possession football against Derby, I think they might be better at it and we would have to mix it up a bit or else we will lose or draw.
If we play too direct against Boro or Wednesday they will catch us on the break, especially the former.
If we play any way against Hull we could lose or win, but it would best to play to our possession football strengths.

PS: Defensive, stopping the other side from shooting: Best: Hull, Poor: Burnley.

No Ipswich, Brentford, etc, in your calculations?

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
No Ipswich, Brentford, etc, in your calculations?

They will cause upsets, Ipswich are the best direct play team and Brentford are pretty good at possession football.

Ipswich will only be able to beat teams with poor defences and through opposition mistakes. Brentford will be a bit of a problem side for everybody, but I see them being inconsistent.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
To be honest I think that both Middlesbro and Hull are superior to us, but then so they should be I guess, both have the advantage of stronger, more experienced squads, both still have parachute payments from there days in the Premier League, and both clubs are more able, and perhaps more willing, to splash the cash on big money signings.

The play-offs for us I think.

Were were a better side than Hull the year they went up IMHO so anything could happen. We'd have taken their place if we'd scored a goal at their place.

Pintos

Jul 28, 2005
Oxted
Our last 2 games of the season are against Derby and Middlesbrough. Would be pretty exciting if we were still in with a shout for an auto spot...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here