Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Derby v Forest

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Have to go for a Derby win really. Our aim is top 6, and our best chance of finishing in the top 6 is if Derby win. It's that simple.

Snap! Did you just rewrite my post!?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I'm not really missing your point at all. Clearly I understand that you think we are more likely to finish in the top 6 if Derby win - that much isn't rocket science. How you could think I have missed that point is quite beyond me.

To paraphrase you, you said "our aim is top 6, it's that simple". I disagree. I think we'll finish top six if we are strong at home, but quite fancy us for 3rd or 4th. So I'd say a 0-0 for Derby v Forest is preferred, because a win over Ipswich means we improve on both teams, does nothing for either team's confidence, AND leaves us handily placed for an ASSAULT on 3rd or 4th.

But if you want to cheer on Derby, you fill your boots. I'd rather it was a DRAW.

Where you finish, 3rd to 6th, has zero relevance on whether you qualify for the play-offs or not, and hardly any relevance to whether you win the play-offs, i.e. are promoted. Currently, Forest are above us but much closer to us than Derby, so a Derby win is preferable to our chances of finishing in one of the play-off positions.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
So we agree that our chances of finishing 3rd or 4th are improved if Derby don't win, and we agree that our chances of finishing 6th improve if Derby do win? 3rd or 4th would be nice, but surely 6th or better is the main aim.

Spot on.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Wigan are the only side I'm worried about facing in the playoffs.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Derby win please. Top 6 is the aim, and a Derby win maximises our chances of getting there.
Have to go for a Derby win really. Our aim is top 6, and our best chance of finishing in the top 6 is if Derby win. It's that simple.

Snap! Did you just rewrite my post!?
Er, this is a little embarrassing. It would appear I have completely copied your post. Normally, I'd claim that I didn't see your post, but that's a little tricky given that I seem to have Thumbs Uped it.

Not sure if I read it, forgot, and then typed it verbatim, or if I read yours after (and then gave it the Thumbs Up) - great minds etc. I should have just quoted you and said 'this'. Rest assured that I am suitably ashamed.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Why? They're the horse that's bolted too early I reckon, with the jockey frantically whipping their arse. We're the one on the inside that might be a couple of lengths back, but is looking far more composed with plenty of energy conserved.

I'm not fussed at all about Wigan. It'll be someone totally different in form in ten games' time.

I don't think they're on "form". I think they're a VERY GOOD side who won the FA Cup last year, and have picked up since the distraction of the Europa League buggered off. They should be in the Top 3.

In terms of getting to the playoffs I agree with you, but as you and I and all of us learnt last year, form means nothing once you get to the one off playoff games. I think - all things being even - they're a slightly better side than us, and would rightfully be favourites to beat us whether in the semis or final.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
We absolutely BATTERED them only three weeks ago. They weren't fit to even be in the same division as us on that evidence. Why should we be worried if we have to play them again?

They WON. They're clinical. As we have been recently, without playing very well. Also, you can't win SEVEN games in a row in this division on a fluke. They're a good side full of Top-Champ/lower-end-Prem players, with a very exciting young manager in charge.

I just think they're the one team I reckon would beat us more often than not in the playoffs. I'm confident against all the other sides we could face.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Er, this is a little embarrassing. It would appear I have completely copied your post. Normally, I'd claim that I didn't see your post, but that's a little tricky given that I seem to have Thumbs Uped it.

Not sure if I read it, forgot, and then typed it verbatim, or if I read yours after (and then gave it the Thumbs Up) - great minds etc. I should have just quoted you and said 'this'. Rest assured that I am suitably ashamed.

Hey, I prefer the 'great minds' bit of this post but, if I say that, I'd just be copying you! ;-)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
QPR in the play-offs would worry me more than Wigan, for two reasons.

1) Their obscenely paid twats would have to put some effort it, and probably would do just for those games
2) Charlie Austin is expected back in time for the play-offs. QPR are a different side when Austin plays, as he is the only one who can put the ball in the net.

But we've take shared the points with Wigan and Reading, and took 4 off QPR so we can beat either.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Agree about Austin, but on the other hand can you imagine how much PRESSURE they would be under in the play-offs?
That might prove no bad thing. Some people THRIVE under pressure. Indeed, QPR were coping with it well, they were a top two side most of the season (well they were 1 of 3 sides looking like it) until Austin got crocked.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
I see Billy Davies has postponed his personal hearing into his 5 match touchline ban, due to be today but postponed due to 'personal reasons', meaning he's back in the dugout on Saturday.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I see Billy Davies has postponed his personal hearing into his 5 match touchline ban, due to be today but postponed due to 'personal reasons', meaning he's back in the dugout on Saturday.

If that isn't cheating I don't know what is. Shouldn't be allowed and hopefully, when it is heard, if it's upheld then he gets a longer ban

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The Derby v Forest game is a win win for Brighton whatever the result, hopefully with plenty of bookings and a couple of reds!

Palace last season looked out of our reach at this point being 9pts above us, but that saw a 12pt swing by the final table.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here