Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Derby V Brighton U18s Tonight

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Yes Thank you
One more question. What is furthest we have advanced in this competition. From what I have seen of results our under 18s looks one of our best squads for years. Surely with a decent draw we could go all the way

That 2005-06 season, when we lost to Newcastle United on penalties in the 6th round (quarter-final) is the furthest we have progressed in the competition (the United side included Tim Krul and Kazenga LuaLua).

This season is the third time in four seasons that we have reached the 5th round.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not sure what else to say, except :bowdown: [MENTION=1276]AZ Gull[/MENTION].

Incredible attention to detail, as always.

My favourite poster (with apologies to my comedy and vituperation compadres - you're all USELESS without hard facts. Fact). :lolol:

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I'm not sure it is fair to consider being in the very top league of youth football, as 'doing poorly' (Sunderland obviously going down, though). There are plenty of big clubs missing from those two league tables (five PL clubs - Palace, Bournemouth, Watford, Burnley, Sheff Utd, plus the likes of Sheff Weds, Leeds, etc)

And Newcastle currently have two very recent academy graduates paired together in their first team centre midfield :shrug:

Relative to perceived sizes of clubs, though. Sunderland can be forgiven, they are now a third tier club so their priorities are obviously very different. I just find it interesting and think that it's something else which should contribute to the perception of how big a club is.

The Longstaff boys are very good and it's a fair reply but you'd reasonably expect a little bit more from Newcastle, wouldn't you? Paul Dummett's pretty rubbish but he's had a decent career and Andy Carroll should be in his prime now but for his life choices. Other than these 4, two of which have only become known in the last year, it's not a great output considering the size of the area and how much football means up there.

The 24 teams in the U-18 Premier League (across the two divisions) represent all the clubs that have been approved as Category One academies. There is no promotion or relegation (the U-23 league is made up of the same 24 teams but is not divided geographically, so there is promotion/relegation between PL2 division one and two).

I wouldn't be too quick to draw conclusions about a club's youth policy based upon a glance at the league table - just two years ago Albion U-18s were smashed 5-0 at home by Newcastle United in the 3rd round of the FA Youth Cup - the Albion side included the likes of Aaron Connolly, Ryan Longman, Alex Cochrane, Danny Cashman and Haydon Roberts.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The 24 teams in the U-18 Premier League (across the two divisions) represent all the clubs that have been approved as Category One academies. There is no promotion or relegation (the U-23 league is made up of the same 24 teams but is not divided geographically, so there is promotion/relegation between PL2 division one and two).

I wouldn't be too quick to draw conclusions about a club's youth policy based upon a glance at the league table - just two years ago Albion U-18s were smashed 5-0 at home by Newcastle United in the 3rd round of the FA Youth Cup - the Albion side included the likes of Aaron Connolly, Ryan Longman, Alex Cochrane, Danny Cashman and Haydon Roberts.

It's also worth saying that results at under 18s level doesn't matter as such, it's more about the development of the players etc.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

November 2017?

Connolly, Longman and Cochrane would have been 17, Cashman 16? And Roberts 15! No wonder we lost!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here