Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Derby showed us how to attack at pace

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
We need younger faster defenders and midfielders, it's been obvious all season.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
One shot on target, lol! What a bunch of attacking marauders they were.....

This.

Derby are a very good side and they did look dangerous on the counter.

There were plenty of periods of the game where we were showing them how to attack. First 20 minutes we were excellent. Need to start maintaining some consistency.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Yes they did show us how to attack at pace which we are often lacking so we now need to combine that with our type of football. I don't honestly think they are anything special and, as their goalie said, they only play in one way. We need to analyse that way of playing and work on improving our response to it. We started off really well and even though we lost momentum in the second half we came back strongly. I honestly believe we have enough depth in the squad to defeat them on Sunday.

FriendlyRam

May 4, 2014
Under Nigel we tried (until January every year) to play like you. Controlled, balancing risk with reward, patient and smart.

The biggest change Mac had made is the minute we cross the halfway line he likes minimal touch. This is why Martin's superb first touch has been the key to our entire success (never mind his goals). We ping it straight into him and then swarm. He's trusted. When our own half we tend to try to draw teams in with a possession game. Halfway line and boom, minimal touch.

Tonight we didn't need to draw you in. In fact you closed us down to quickly and pounced on our nervousness. You forced us to go from back to front even quicker.

You're a good team. Your slower game might not bring as much attacking threat as ours but you're in the Play Offs and could easily be going up this season. It's not all bad!

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Every team shows us how to attack at pace, wait for us to play 30 sideways passes with no effect then pick the ball up cheaply and bomb forward to score

In fairness they didn't have to pick the ball up cheaply last night because we kept passing the ball to them to help them on their way.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
They're a very good side and they attack and defend as a 10 man outfield unit. There was seldom an occasion last night when all their outfield players weren't within 30 yards of each other and their coaches were constantly ensuring they played, as a unit, high up the pitch.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Very impressive on the break quick & decisive wich is everything we are not.

But still had far less shots on target than us. It's no good attacking at pace if you don't actually aim at the goal. They were lucky.
I'm not saying that they weren't a good team but we're making too much of a win which consisted of a penalty and a rebound onto a keeper's back.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
That's about as succinct a summary of our season as I've read. Could equally apply to last season also. So much sideways action going on, maybe we should ditch the Seagulls thing in favour of the CRABS.

Yeah, except teams have done what he described against us less times than against any other team in the entire division, except one of the promoted teams. So it's actually complete bollocks.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
We need younger faster defenders and midfielders, it's been obvious all season.

We have the second best defence in the division. Which part of that suggests to you that it has been obvious all season we need different defenders?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We have the second best defence in the division. Which part of that suggests to you that it has been obvious all season we need different defenders?

Difference last night was the keepers, theirs had a blinder, ours did nothing wrong but nothing outstanding either. One of the saves reminded me of Speroni last season :down:

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Attacking at pace is easy/necessary when you don't have possession. Teams know that they have to concede possession against us, and playing on the counter attack is the only option. A team that does it well, or has the personnel to do it, such as Derby can look great when it works. Real Madrid are possibly the best exponents, but they can also come unstuck vs a team that concedes possession to them. The shame last night for us was giving the penalty away : 1-0 into the second half would have forced Derby to play a different game and we might have been the team attacking at pace on the counter-attack...look at the home matches vs. QPR and Leicester. My personal opinion is that Lua Lua is the one who needs to up his pace...all too often he slows down to a walking pace to try and set up a 10-20 yard sprint from a standing start..the problem that is creating is allowing the opposition to get 2 or 3 bodies around the ball, and set up in the middle for any cross...we played pretty well last night, and were close to winning the game...

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
For most of the match last night I thought we played pretty predictably, with the slow build up from the back/possession style. We didn't seem to be able to attack quickly from the back, which Derby did, and other teams have against us this season at the Amex.

We still need to mix up our styles of play, and break quickly occasionally, because we do have the players to do it and hurt the opposition.

Hopefully, a change of tactics in the 2nd leg, with a "go for it" attitude rather than a defensive attitude! :albion2:

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Difference last night was the keepers, theirs had a blinder, ours did nothing wrong but nothing outstanding either. One of the saves reminded me of Speroni last season :down:

god yeah, I didn't think of that. Same wasn't it, tipped on to bar?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
They were so good at attacking at pace that the sum of their attacking intent in the second half was zero shots and, I think, 2-3 corners that were easily defended.

More of the same from us on Sunday and we'll score at least 1 over 90 minutes.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
How hard is it to kick the ball into the mix from a corner or free kick? 90% of ours manage to clear everyone, what are they doing in training all week!!?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Derby were good last night, but so were we. If things had gone differently in terms of penalties being given, not given etc, it could have been 4-0.

They had one - just one - shot on target, which was a needlessly given away penalty. They were impressive, but they were also lucky.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Yeah, except teams have done what he described against us less times than against any other team in the entire division, except one of the promoted teams. So it's actually complete bollocks.

Exactly.

A few wet beds this morning.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here