Derby & Leeds chairmen in BOTHER

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
What's the point, the cash will inevitably go in the back pockets of the players. The Sky deal could be worth a billion to the lower leagues and nothing would change. Clubs and owners will still lose money.

Most premier league clubs thanks to the tv contracts now make hefty profits.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
OMG! and not just my ignorance! Begs the question how much the PL are earning on top of the £5bn Sky/BT deal from overseas?

More sympathetic to what Morris may be trying to do

New deal for China just been signed for £564m over three years: https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-sells-china-tv-rights-for-564m-report-claims

Article includes this: It also means that the Premier League has two of the biggest markets in the world tied up until 2021-22. Under its existing deals, the Premier League already brings in an estimated £8.3bn over three seasons, including £5.5bn in domestic contracts.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
end of day the money the Championship get isnt alot but the deal with the Premiership is their deal. they've tried to get something out of rights for Championship for 15 years and failed. what im surprised about is rather than sit and take it, they (the FL) havent gone off to look for overseas deals. if you can sell Watford vs Hull in China, why not Derby vs Nottingham Forest? there are a half dozen teams with some decent history playing in the league, thats marketing material unused imo. the foreigners are supposed to be attracted to English football by the pace of the game, well its there in the FL too, so market it.

(await correction that we do this already, for a packet of crisps).

The flaw in this argument, is that you CAN'T sell 'Watford v Hull in China'. You can sell United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool - Watford V Hull just comes as part of the package.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Let's be honest here. When we go up will we in any way be interested in the Championship games let alone those of the 1st & 2nd leagues?
Are there any TV fans who watch the PL games who also watch the Championship games? I doubt it.
Bolton v Gillingham on a Monday night or Coventry v Sheff United on a Thursday will both draw in a few thousand at max I'd have thought.

I do. Will watch the game tonight and any games featuring my favourite PL club.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
The flaw in this argument, is that you CAN'T sell 'Watford v Hull in China'. You can sell United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool - Watford V Hull just comes as part of the package.

Any teams with Chinese players will sell. Palace had a massive fan-base in China when we had Fan ZiYi and Sun ? a few years back.

Presumably teams with Japanese or Korean players will pick up audiences in those countries. Remember when Gazza went to Lazio, we actually had coverage on C4 of Il Scudetto for a few years.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
There are plenty of Championship games shown abroad. Where do you think we get all the dodgy streams from? I've a mate in Seattle who's a Brighton fan and he gets to watch us quite often on Fox. Plus Bein Sports and others show us.

No idea what the deal is for the league/clubs though.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There are plenty of Championship games shown abroad. Where do you think we get all the dodgy streams from? I've a mate in Seattle who's a Brighton fan and he gets to watch us quite often on Fox. Plus Bein Sports and others show us.

No idea what the deal is for the league/clubs though.

There is generally one Championship game show live somewhere in the world each Saturday at 3pm - it's the game that will be the feature game on the evening show here, so has a full compliment of cameras and a commentator.

When this happens, there are dodgy streams available which are posted about on here. I can't recall us featuring much/at all yet this season.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
There is generally one Championship game show live somewhere in the world each Saturday at 3pm - it's the game that will be the feature game on the evening show here, so has a full compliment of cameras and a commentator.

When this happens, there are dodgy streams available which are posted about on here. I can't recall us featuring much/at all yet this season.
There have only been one or two this season it's true. Last season was better!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I don't blame him either but he's on a hiding to nothing. Beyond the 'local' support of the clubs in EFL I doubt there's huge interest and the viewing figures I saw a while back (max of 200K I think) reflected this. I can't see a commercial argument for Sky to increase their funding, in fact what we get now is no more than a sop

Domestic viewing figures I saw indicated Championship was about a quarter of the home audiences of the Premier League (excludes foreign viewers). Not only that the top six boosted the PL figures considerably and even West Ham had only had three times the figures of Championship matches and sometimes under 1 million. Some PL matches like Watford v Swansea were only 400K (or even 200k) or less than that of say Brighton v Forest. I think The Championship viewing figures may average 250k. Derby maybe 350K though. PL 1 million. Only the top 6 attract 1 million plus.

(Reports of viewing figures are meant to be a secret.) My initial impression that the TV companies are paying a hefty whack for PL matches and a pittance for Championship games.

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Let's be honest here. When we go up will we in any way be interested in the Championship games let alone those of the 1st & 2nd leagues?
Are there any TV fans who watch the PL games who also watch the Championship games? I doubt it.
Bolton v Gillingham on a Monday night or Coventry v Sheff United on a Thursday will both draw in a few thousand at max I'd have thought.

deleted

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Cellino suspended, breaking news on SSN

Banned for 18 months for breaking 'agent rules' in transfer dealings, yet the ban is effective from 01.02.17 - i.e. AFTER the next transfer window.

Where's the logic - its like banning someone for drink-driving but telling them it only starts after the Christmas party season.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Personally, I think Sky should let the Premier League slide and concentrate on other sports which haven't eaten themselves. Ironically, it's Sky's fault because they started this party. But if they invested heavier in the other sports, and then covered the Football League in a bigger way - would they lose out overall?

There's probably a reason I am not employed as a decision maker for Sky Sports.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports