Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Derby County to play at Pride Park once again

Derby County moved to their new home - Pride Park - in 1997. In 2013 they completed a deal with ipro for naming rights for £7m for 10 years.

The deal has ended - not sure why and there's nothing in the media as yet - according to Sky Sports News with the stadium name reverting to Pride Park - the area where the ground is situated.

As far as Brighton is concerned I guess most people refer to our ground as The Amex rather than Falmer.

Wonder if we would refer to our home as Falmer if we were in a similar situation?

The Amex is where i worked for 17 years the Falmer community stadium for all! is how the Albions home will always be known!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've always known it as Pride Park, just as I've always known Bradford as Valley Parade and Bournemouth as Dean Court. I can't keep up with sponsorship changes (is Boltons still the Reebok ? That's all I've ever known it as).

I gather Amex have a 10 year deal here. Therefore, the Amex will ALWAYS be the Amex to me, regardless of any future changes. My brain simply does not adjust.
Ditto.

It's odd to feel proud at being the only form of professional sport to be sponsored by American Express.
Sure it's sad, pathetic and more than a little troubling as well, but ignoring that to have our English second division shitkickers sponsored by one of the worlds most recognisable companies is quite something.

It would be a shame to see them go.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Ditto.

It's odd to feel proud at being the only form of professional sport to be sponsored by American Express.
Sure it's sad, pathetic and more than a little troubling as well, but ignoring that to have our English second division shitkickers sponsored by one of the worlds most recognisable companies is quite something.

It would be a shame to see them go.

Eh? Is that apart from the Golf, tennis, American Football etc

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I wouldn't be surprised if Amex move all their operations to Germany as a result of Brexit and the club lose out as a result.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I've always known it as Pride Park, just as I've always known Bradford as Valley Parade and Bournemouth as Dean Court. I can't keep up with sponsorship changes (is Boltons still the Reebok ? That's all I've ever known it as).

I gather Amex have a 10 year deal here. Therefore, the Amex will ALWAYS be the Amex to me, regardless of any future changes. My brain simply does not adjust.
I must admit I'm the same. I always refer to the new, sponsored stadiums by their original name: Huddersfield play at the McAlpine, Hampshire CC at the Rose Bowl, Bolton at the Reebok, etc. I'm pretty sure Huddersfield's isn't McAlpine any more (Galparm?) but for the others I haven't a clue what the latest branding is.

For naming rights the motto is: Be first or don't bother.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
If we announced the Amex was to be re-named The Goldstone Ground... would we be happy ?

I still refer to our home matches as being at The Goldstone.

The 'New Goldstone' would have been a good title.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
They sponsor Seattle Seahawks
Along with 7 other companies.
At least 2 of which, Boeing and Centurylink, have considerably higher profiles with the Seahawks than AMEX.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I still refer to our home matches as being at The Goldstone.

The 'New Goldstone' would have been a good title.

Still find it hard to believe that we moved out of the BBG at the same time as you moved from the Goldston Ground (2 weeks later to be precise). I 'mourn' the passing of these old grounds, of course they were not as comfortable as the newer ones, but they were enigmatic, had a charm and uniqueness that doesn't exist today.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Still find it hard to believe that we moved out of the BBG at the same time as you moved from the Goldston Ground (2 weeks later to be precise). I 'mourn' the passing of these old grounds, of course they were not as comfortable as the newer ones, but they were enigmatic, had a charm and uniqueness that doesn't exist today.
I take it you didn't go to The Goldstone during it's death throes

I can't speak to the Baseball Ground but, irrespective of all the memories we have locked up there, you'd need some serious rosy specs to talk of the charm of The Goldstone.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I take it you didn't go to The Goldstone during it's death throes

I can't speak to the Baseball Ground but, irrespective of all the memories we have locked up there, you'd need some serious rosy specs to talk of the charm of The Goldstone.

Yeah, I went to a couple of games in that last season - It wasn't comfortable, that's for sure, but without charm? I'm not sure about that. The Baseball Ground had been 'modernised' to some extent so was probably a little more comfortable but all things are relative.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

They were more identifiable too. Some of these flat pack grounds- It's almost as though there is a Stadium Supercentre somewhere, a footballing IKEA.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
No, but a few do call it Falmer Stadium

Not sure about the 'stadium' bit - bit in my family the stadium is called 'Falmer'. Isn't that what most people called it as a shorthand while it was being campaigned for then built? We just carried on ...

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham

The BBG was a corker of a Ground.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Cobblers.
Nobody calls it the Falmer Community Stadium.

It never was, has been or ever will be referred to as the Falmer stadium. Those Falmer and Lewes tosspots who made it so difficult for us to get there in the first place do not deserve to have Falmer in the title of our magnificent stadium. Falmer is a dirty word and beyond contempt for me. its the Amex in Brighton and after that who knows but will still be xxxx Stadium in Brighton.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
For naming rights the motto is: Be first or don't bother.
That's right. I just asked my brother in law, who is a Bolton fan, what Bolton fans call their stadium now. He says it's weird, half call it the Macron, but half still call it the Reebok.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here