Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Derby and Fulham bid for Dunk [+ Newcastle now interested]

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You have an axe to grind about reinvestment at least have the intelligence to take it out on the right person.

Where have I even mentioned reinvestment? I am well aware that how much we sell a player for bears absolutely no relationship to what we pay for his replacement. I have no axe to grind, it's TB's money and as it's plain we sell players if they want to go. It's the "he's not for sale" comments that I am questioning. We will sell any player we get a bid for if he asks to leave, and they all do.

I don't have to like it though do I? Having a lovely stadium does not make up for a crap team on the pitch...fingers crossed last season was a just a blip.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
so lets get this straight you are saying that he owns the whole club,Stadium,training ground without any other person,bank having any share in it.

Person that reports to him quoted a base of £750m a few years back (& property levels have risen since)...at no point has he ever demonstrated any infrastructure spend was not well within his means

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Is he any better than the ones you let go ? Cook and elphick spring to mind . I must admit , of the limited times I've seen him , he hasn't impressed me at all . The premier league isn't the place for him Yet , so he might as well stay put and play regularly .

How is that Williams lad getting on ? Premier league superstar, better than Bridcutt etc wasn't he?

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
Statistically he is the best defend outside of the premiership. Lets not lose sight of the fact that a lot of clubs are (including ourselves) putting a lot of trust in statistic based purchases. It certainly been working for Brentford.

If we add in his early season performances (even up until February), where he was clearly our best player, I'm not surprised teams are chasing him.

To end on an negative note, I've heard a number of 'in the know' journalist say that Premiership scouts (in the Midlands and North East) don't think he's good enough for the PL.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We will sell any player we get a bid for if he asks to leave, and they all do.

There's a big difference between Barber saying its hard to stop players who want to move to the Prem to secure the financial future of their family etc and in those cases we negotiate the biggest fee we can.
and this meaning -

we will sell any player we get a bid for ?- we don't
we will sell any player who asks to leave ? - we don't
they all [want to leave] - well clearly they don't.

and of course there's also a big difference in terms of whats reported in the press and whats actually happened.
NB: As i understand it The club have a blanket policy of not commenting publicly on transfer talk . So probably "Not for sale" is their standard line. Ie: "not for sale at this current time."

That said of course every player has his price. This is the same for every single club. Albion are no different.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Would't be a disaster if he went. Can't see him being here at the start of the season. The club were never going to accept the first bid, and rightly so.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I have no idea what the bid if there has been one is, however lets say we got 2.5 million which I would personally snap anyone's hands of for.

We could go and get Perch and Bassong for considerably less than that... I would take that deal all day long.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Where have I even mentioned reinvestment? I am well aware that how much we sell a player for bears absolutely no relationship to what we pay for his replacement. I have no axe to grind, it's TB's money and as it's plain we sell players if they want to go. It's the "he's not for sale" comments that I am questioning. We will sell any player we get a bid for if he asks to leave, and they all do.

I don't have to like it though do I? Having a lovely stadium does not make up for a crap team on the pitch...fingers crossed last season was a just a blip.
#15 in your reply to Spider for starters.

Why question 'he's not for sale'?

All bar 2 footballers on the planet are for sale, if the price is right.
Lewis might be good but he isn't one of them.

What do you want PB to say 'well obviously if all parties can agree on a price all of our playing staff is available for transfer'?

Getting over the odds fees shouldn't be too difficult after that.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In that case (as you clearly know and have talked to plenty of Premier league club scouts) we won't sell him. He's under contract with us until 2018 and is still relatively young for a centre back

For what it's worth, I know BG has plenty of previous for talking utter crap on here, but a pretty well-known face within the football scouting world was quoted as saying pretty much exactly that about Dunk in a book published last year (i.e. that he's prone to concentration lapses and is very one-footed). I can't recall which club the scout in question was working for at the time.

The same scout now works for....er....the Albion :rolleyes:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
If he'd been voted Player of the season (Which he should have been). He would definitely be going......

If he'd played as well in the second half of the season as he did in the first, he'd definitely have been POTY too...

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
On the matter of Dunk not being good enough for the Premier League yet, there are plenty of central defenders who are already not good enough for the Premier League and prove it every week while playing in that very competition. John O'Shea and Wes Brown immediately spring to mind and I'm sure we can all think of plenty of others.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
we will sell any player we get a bid for ?- we don't
we will sell any player who asks to leave ? - we don't
they all [want to leave] - well clearly they don't.

Ok so who have had a decent bid for, in the last year, that we haven't sold so far? Dunk apart..

Which players who have asked to leave have not been sold?

Which of the players we sold didn't want to leave?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
On the matter of Dunk not being good enough for the Premier League yet, there are plenty of central defenders who are already not good enough for the Premier League and prove it every week while playing in that very competition. John O'Shea and Wes Brown immediately spring to mind and I'm sure we can all think of plenty of others.
Wes Brown has never been good enough for the Premier League.

His entire career is worthy of an episode of Tales of the Unexpected.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Whether you believe that BG has spoke to premier league scouts or not, the summary he gave of Lewis Dunk is spot on. He has cost us many conceded goals this season with his lapses in concentration. The goals he scored were largely down to Hyypia's tactics of sending the defenders up every time we could put a ball into the box. Even Greer got a few. Not been the same under Hughton.

If we sell Dunk and get in say, Bassong, I think that will be very good business. And as others have pointed out, there's very good centre backs available on a free from the premier League.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ok so who have had a decent bid for, in the last year, that we haven't sold so far? Dunk apart..

Which players who have asked to leave have not been sold?

Which of the players we sold didn't want to leave?

Ok let's say we sell Dunk to West Brom for £5m.

Glenn Rae steps up for our promotion season and is 'player of the division'.
The Albion will still sell Rae but this time it'll be Man Utd for £10m

The Albion now march into a UEFA Cup spot under the guidance of Dallision.
The Albion will still sell him to Arsenal for £20m

The Albion now quarter finalists in the Champions League solely thanks to Walton.
The Albion will sell him to Barca for £30m.

Why assume such a small fish like the Albion can fend off the advances of massive financial giants like West Brom or Leicester?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Wes Brown has never been good enough for the Premier League.

His entire career is worthy of an episode of Tales of the Unexpected.

Is this the same Wes Brown who rose from youth at Man Utd played over 230 times over 15 years and played 23 times for England. Hope Dunk or any other CB if ours manages to play so many games in the Premier and for England. Granted he is probably on his last legs now but he has been good.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Mike Williamson!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here