Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Derby and Fulham bid for Dunk [+ Newcastle now interested]

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
We spent not far off that on players fees last summer.
We spent (about) 4x that on players wages.

We also raked in much more than we spent in fees.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We also raked in much more than we spent in fees.

We did. Bloom said last September, i've quoted him on here many times, that not all of the Ulloa/Bridcutt money went directly back into fees for players. It also covered off ongoing losses. (these are of course partly caused by having such a large wage bill for our squad).
We spend millions B.W on fees and wages, higher than most Championship clubs. Sadly last year that didn't translate into great performances.
But we still spend. Millions. Do you think we don't?

Or do you think we should spend the entire incoming transfer profits on fees. ? If so we'd be unlike nearly ever other championship club. Most make profits from player sales every year. (which goes back into playing wages)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We did. Bloom said last September, i've quoted him on here many times, that not all of the Ulloa/Bridcutt money went directly back into fees for players. It also covered off ongoing losses. (these are of course partly caused by having such a large wage bill for our squad).
We spend millions B.W on fees and wages, higher than most Championship clubs. Sadly last year that didn't translate into great performances.

Or do you think we should spend the entire incoming transfer profits on fees. ? If so we'd be unlike nearly ever other championship club. Most make profits from player sales every year. (which goes back into playing wages)

I think the fact that the players brought in to replace Ulloa, Ward, Bridcutt, Barnes and Buckley ALL proved to be vastly inferior is the bone of contention for most of us disgruntled fans. Whether that was down to terrible recruitment, cheese paring on wages, getting loans rather than signing players or something else is open to discussion. Maybe it was just bad luck but I don't think it is possible to have that much bad luck personally.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
They WILLl sell him because we are, and always have been a selling club.
But he wont go to any club in The Championship.
If he did then it would just confirm to me personally that Bloom is not the man to take our club forward.

I agree Baz. Great post. I mean, it's not like Bloom has progressed the club at all, since he took over, is it?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I think the fact that the players brought in to replace Ulloa, Ward, Bridcutt, Barnes and Buckley ALL proved to be vastly inferior is the bone of contention for most of us disgruntled fans. Whether that was down to terrible recruitment, cheese paring on wages, getting loans rather than signing players or something else is open to discussion. Maybe it was just bad luck but I don't think it is possible to have that much bad luck personally.

IMHO its all of the above, lets hope the club have learned a valuable lesson.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I think the fact that the players brought in to replace Ulloa, Ward, Bridcutt, Barnes and Buckley ALL proved to be vastly inferior is the bone of contention for most of us disgruntled fans.

Of course and thats fair enough. I'm with you on that and others that put forward that view.
Clearly the squad either isn't as good or repeated managers can't get it to perform but its not up there with that of 12/13 or 13/14.

However there is an oft repeated view that i'm rather tedious in trying to refute with the facts that we have and are publicly available (sorry but it keeps getting repeated) that Bloom / the club has cut corners, no ambition, reduced budgets, has his mind elsewhere (hotels anyone ?) and thus didn't spent a fortune on assembling the squad that finished just above the relegation zone in 2014/15. This isn't true. He did and he he genuinely thought he was getting something that could challenge for the top 6. Bloom spent millions and must be still having sleepless nights that Sam Baldock, Chris O Grady, Colunga and indeed CMS struggled to get less than 10 goals between them, Danny Holla wasn't in any way comparable to Stephens etc , and so on. Lets hope this year we get better value for money.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
They WILLl sell him because we are, and always have been a selling club.
But he wont go to any club in The Championship.
If he did then it would just confirm to me personally that Bloom is not the man to take our club forward.

Every club in the world becomes a selling club if the offer is above what they think the player is worth.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Not much to say on this but if we spend £3m or whatever on a defender that has not played above the championship at 23/24 I will, in the words of Paddy Ashdown, eat my hat!!!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Barnes didn't get much abuse - he really enjoyed his time here, and would love to come back. Not the attitude of someone who got loads of abuse....

He absolutely did. He may not have heard it all, or may have been able to ignore it, which is great news - but it was there alright - the culmination of it being when he was booed by his own fans, as he stepped up to take a crucial penalty. We really have some very stupid fans, who wouldn't know a good footballer if he was sat on their lap.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Derby and Fulham bid for Dunk

New extended contract for Dunk or he goes to a Premier League club. My preferred option is the former. If he was to go to a Championship rival, I'd be very upset indeed with us already having sold most of our defensive family silver (Elphick & Cook) off.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Calm down. As you like to do, I was merely pointing out the fact that we spent a great deal less on fees than we received from player sales.

In answer to your question, I would definitely say we tightened the purse strings too much AND paid the price in declining season ticket sales by serving up utter gash on the pitch, so... a false economy.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
, I would definitely say we tightened the purse strings too much .

But we haven't tightened the purse strings. We spent more on our playing budget in 2014/15 than in any other year in the clubs history. Why do you think we have ?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Well said. And I suspect all of those things contributed...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
But we haven't tightened the purse strings. We spent more on our playing budget in 2014/15 than in any other year in the clubs history. Why do you think we have ?

Because we spent far too low a proportion of player sales proceeds.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Yep the twelfth man thing off the pitch can also make a difference and we haven’t really recovered from the Gus fiasco. Bournemouth are lucky to have a manager they trust unconditionally.

Add the disappointment of losing in the play-offs to our arch rivals, only to see them promoted and then survive in the Premier League.

Add the second defeat in the play-offs to Derby and the fashion of the defeat (after losing our 2 1st choice centre backs for the 2nd leg)

And so the depresssion and disappointment flooded out in the summer and left a very negative feel about the club (Garcia leaving wasn't necessarily a bad thing as the quality of entertainment of the football we played was worse than this season imo)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

And that is the most frightening / depressing fact of this whole shambolic clusterfcuck of a season.

I nearly choked on my Cheerios when Bloom confirmed THAT little pearler.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here