Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Deluded Leeds (an EFL club) fans

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Albion is my only football interest but find it odd all the negativity towards Leeds. They have had an outstanding first season and have been consistently good to watch. Even on Saturday after we scored thought they looked very much like getting back in game. It was only our excellent play that stopped them getting near our goal. Again because we played so well they did fade in 2nd half.

Nothing against the players or Bielsa, any knocks aimed at them are only to push them off the pedestal that Leeds Fans have put them on. They are like the bloke in every street that has a fit if anyone parks in "his space" and by that he means the bit of public road directly in front of his house. They think they are special, and many of them are a bit "special", probably annoyed about the ESL more on the grounds that they were not invited to join than anything else.

spoonie

Apr 19, 2011
No doubt Bielsa is half decent coach, you only have to look at his history to see that, but im not seeing this master tactician side of him that gets quoted so often. Played them twice this season and have offered so little. Other football fans ive happened to watch a Leeds game with have said ''they just seem to run around a lot'' but apart from that there's no real strategy.

I am never too sure what he has done as a manager ? are we all just falling for the media hype about him ? Genuine what in his history has been so impressive that we are subjected to contestant talk of him being the master tactician

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I was deluded enough to think that Leeds would be in a relegation battle before the season kicked off. I have to confess that I have enjoyed watching Leeds in the games I’ve watched, especially against the Albion :smile:

There is no doubt that they are worth watching most games, it really is shit or bust, what’s not to like?

They've had some great wins in their first season.

Let's see how their second goes.

I'll be awaiting the relegation odds with great interest

Dave Fishwick

Feb 28, 2021
London
I am never too sure what he has done as a manager ? are we all just falling for the media hype about him ? Genuine what in his history has been so impressive that we are subjected to contestant talk of him being the master tactician

he's done plenty! He may not have many trophies in Europe and this is where the gotchas seem to come from, that he doesn't have the history in European football that many desire when they ask about great managers

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008

Well his previous managed clubs includes Argentina, Chile, Espanyol, Lille, Athletic Bilbao, Lazio, and Marseille. He's won a few trophies with that lot and made it to cup finals. Not many Championship managers (or Prem tbh) who can boast a CV like that so it was an impressive appointment for them at the time.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

I think it's his influence on some of the worlds top coaches that have contributed to his hype. Guardiola has said before Bielsa is the best in the world. He managed Diego Simeone and Pochettino as well, both of whom have done well for themselves.

He hasn't actually won much but he's absolutely well regarded by people in the game who have worked under him or studied his style.

To use our G-Pott as an example, I don't doubt that in the future people who have played for him will go on to become good coaches in their own right; listening to what some of the players say about Potter, it's easy to see similarities to the way Bielsa is spoken about.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nothing against the players or Bielsa, any knocks aimed at them are only to push them off the pedestal that Leeds Fans have put them on. They are like the bloke in every street that has a fit if anyone parks in "his space" and by that he means the bit of public road directly in front of his house. They think they are special, and many of them are a bit "special", probably annoyed about the ESL more on the grounds that they were not invited to join than anything else.

Alternatively their club finally returned to the EPL and the fans insisted they were going to do well.
Demanding players signed for them.
Talking of Europe.
Talking of taking games to the primadonnas of English football.

As opposed to us, 4, soon to be 5, years of steadfastly holding onto the principles of:-

Finishing 4th from bottom.
Following the relegation tracker.
Keeping a close eye on the relegation odd.
'If only that had gone in'.
Coughing up points to palace.

Yes they were feckin annoying.
Yes I hope the do a Sheffield Utd next season.

But blimey charlie they've enjoyed this season, bar the 180 minutes playing us.
How many of us can say the same of this year or our entire time since promotion?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Well his previous managed clubs includes Argentina, Chile, Espanyol, Lille, Athletic Bilbao, Lazio, and Marseille.

Similar CV to say, Roy Hodgson - just looked them both up and actually very similar in terms of honours.

So yes, a bit of a coup for a Championship side, tbf.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Leeds have played some really exciting football this season. They are almost the opposite to the durge served up the road by Wroy. However, as happens in the EPL, a style of play is analysed and countered by the good coaches.
The challenge for Leeds will be improving their squad for the next season ( as it is for all teams) but particularly Leeds as I think they need a certain type of energetic, technically sound player to fit into the Bielsa model.
If they can’t do that then I think they will struggle to replicate this season’s position. If they can then they can push onto a top half finish.
We countered their style really well over the two games but I would add that in both games they were without their best player, Kalvin Phillips. Who knows if it would have made a difference if he had played. Anyway, thanks Leeds for the 6 points. Both games came at a time when we really needed the win.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Alternatively their club finally returned to the EPL and the fans insisted they were going to do well.
Demanding players signed for them.
Talking of Europe.
Talking of taking games to the primadonnas of English football.

As opposed to us, 4, soon to be 5, years of steadfastly holding onto the principles of:-

Finishing 4th from bottom.
Following the relegation tracker.
Keeping a close eye on the relegation odd.
'If only that had gone in'.
Coughing up points to palace.

Yes they were feckin annoying.
Yes I hope the do a Sheffield Utd next season.

But blimey charlie they've enjoyed this season, bar the 180 minutes playing us.
How many of us can say the same of this year or our entire time since promotion?

Given how they left the division, and how long they spent out of it, I would not have been calling for over extending the finances and chucking a load of money at a push for Europe.
My opinion of Leeds fans is not formed in the past 18 months alone, they always have had a billy big bollocks attitude, from taking down the fence on the East Terrace to have a promotion party on our pitch, to "not a big club anymore, but still your cup final", to the moaning about "should be beating teams like Brighton". They have been on a par with us for most of the last 20 years, and then got a promotion after dropping away season after season, probably aided by a break due to covid. They catch up to where we are now, and back on a par, but they give it the big bollocks again about their genius manager and surely Ben White loves Leeds more than Brighton etc.
I think the side has done well, they have done better than I expected, but not by much, and if Leeds fans were less ********y, I would have been pleased to have seen it.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Albion is my only football interest but find it odd all the negativity towards Leeds. They have had an outstanding first season and have been consistently good to watch. Even on Saturday after we scored thought they looked very much like getting back in game. It was only our excellent play that stopped them getting near our goal. Again because we played so well they did fade in 2nd half.

Echoing what others have said, it's all about a selection of their fans and their arrogance. Starting when they got promoted and then continued with their seemingly God-given right to sign Ben White. The narrative continued from there, claiming that he would go backwards at Brighton, how Leeds was a massive step up and how he was being held prisoner by Bloom, Barber and Potter. Utter nonsense of course, but there's an element of the fanbase that believe all that shite. Funnily enough, they talk now as if they're not that bothered about getting him, which is strange...

There was a Leeds fan on the radio the other day, talking about how they would beat us – he's concluding argument being that we're "a bunch of southern fairies". That's the kind of intellect we're dealing with here. I engaged with a few of them on Twitter the other night and the majority of the responses were 'Mind the gap', as if to say that's some kind of 'gotcha' when a team does the double over you – especially 'the worst team in the league'.

I really don't get it, but then I'm sure we have our fair share of deluded fans here. Personally I almost expect us to in the bottom half of the table, sometimes in a relegation scrap. To me, there's nothing wrong with that – we're a small fish in a massive pond and there are some very old fish who've been in the same pond for ages and who know their way around. However, Leeds had been shipped off to a lesser pond for years, came back to the big pond and thought they could swan around the place like the old days. Time moves on and, while they've done well this season – better than I'd hoped/expected – after the game on Saturday they were still talking about European football next season. Deluded doesn't come close.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I confess, I’ve enjoyed watching the dirties this season, but, I’ve enjoyed watching them lose more.

It’s not only us, btw, Newcastle and WHU, also did the double over them, and have both been slated as smaller clubs getting lucky on the day by a certain section of their support.

Leeds fans doing what Leeds fans do.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Echoing what others have said, it's all about a selection of their fans and their arrogance. Starting when they got promoted and then continued with their seemingly God-given right to sign Ben White. The narrative continued from there, claiming that he would go backwards at Brighton, how Leeds was a massive step up and how he was being held prisoner by Bloom, Barber and Potter. Utter nonsense of course, but there's an element of the fanbase that believe all that shite. Funnily enough, they talk now as if they're not that bothered about getting him, which is strange...

There was a Leeds fan on the radio the other day, talking about how they would beat us – he's concluding argument being that we're "a bunch of southern fairies". That's the kind of intellect we're dealing with here. I engaged with a few of them on Twitter the other night and the majority of the responses were 'Mind the gap', as if to say that's some kind of 'gotcha' when a team does the double over you – especially 'the worst team in the league'.

I really don't get it, but then I'm sure we have our fair share of deluded fans here. Personally I almost expect us to in the bottom half of the table, sometimes in a relegation scrap. To me, there's nothing wrong with that – we're a small fish in a massive pond and there are some very old fish who've been in the same pond for ages and who know their way around. However, Leeds had been shipped off to a lesser pond for years, came back to the big pond and thought they could swan around the place like the old days. Time moves on and, while they've done well this season – better than I'd hoped/expected – after the game on Saturday they were still talking about European football next season. Deluded doesn't come close.

We do. Of course we do

But on here, and in the Amex the weighting is about ....

5% Deluded / 95% realistic

With Leeds fans it's a bit more like ....

5% realistic / 45% deluded / 25% on a totally different planet / 25% Stark raving, pencils up the nose and pants on the head, weapons grade, batshit mental, not even in the same dimension as reality, deluded

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
We do. Of course we do

But on here, and in the Amex the weighting is about ....

5% Deluded / 95% realistic

With Leeds fans it's a bit more like ....

5% realistic / 45% deluded / 25% on a totally different planet / 25% Stark raving, pencils up the nose and pants on the head, weapons grade, batshit mental, not even in the same dimension as reality, deluded

81F78388-9385-41F4-A971-5D6535853774.jpeg

Wibble

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I confess, I’ve enjoyed watching the dirties this season, but, I’ve enjoyed watching them lose more.

It’s not only us, btw, Newcastle and WHU, also did the double over them, and have both been slated as smaller clubs getting lucky on the day by a certain section of their support.

Leeds fans doing what Leeds fans do.

Leeds have shown themselves to be a threat this season and have done really well.
But not as well as West Ham and arguably not as well as Villa.

Next season will be harder for them as some of the slower coaches, will realise they have to change tactics to nullify the attacking threat they possess.

If they manage to be successful next season, I will tip my hat to them.
But as it stands, I haven't seen anything about them to warrant a belief that they are back at the top table.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Leeds have shown themselves to be a threat this season and have done really well.
But not as well as West Ham and arguably not as well as Villa.

Next season will be harder for them as some of the slower coaches, will realise they have to change tactics to nullify the attacking threat they possess.

If they manage to be successful next season, I will tip my hat to them.
But as it stands, I haven't seen anything about them to warrant a belief that they are back at the top table.

Sheff Utd and Huddersfield both had great first seasons ... (is a comparison which i'm sure has never been made before).

I do just think they are reliant on a very few key players. Key injuries will do for them. Bamford will return to the mean. Nullify Phillips and they really don't have that much. Bielsa incredibly over-rated.

Maybe they will improve their squad. We'll see.

I'll fess up, that i lost a bet (£140 ouch) on Leeds going down this season. Thinking of reinvesting next year though

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
They were lucky to lose 2-0 on Saturday, Maupay and Trossard’s missed chances were horrendous.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here