Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Deluded Leeds (an EFL club) fans

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
The difference between Leeds and Brighton is the small club mentality you lot have. You can call it deluded all you want and call us arrogant but the fact is Leeds are a big club with a world wide draw. Whilst you’re happy just surviving every season we aim a little higher than that. Europe in 3 years is the aim and why shouldn’t it be?

Pretty clear, through numerous statements, that our current aim as a club is to be Top 10. Which is far from 'just surviving every season'.
https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/1311227/blooms-new-vision-makes-for-exciting-times-at-the-albion

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Every club has their 4 or 5 year plan. But your master plan all hinges on Bielsa. Give God everything he wants and kowtow to every whim is the crux of the master plan.. You’re terrified of him leaving and so you should be. If he does the house of cards collapses. Sure you’ll get a new man, but a lot if what you have is Bielsa based, he is bigger than your club. Kinnear and Radd are shit scared of him leaving, and having to balance that fear whilst also trying to say the right things to appease your baying mob. That is the basis imho for irrational Crazy spending on a 29yo. Danny Mills in Leeds live questions the money (not the player)

Seasons starting, still hasn’t signed, no major first team signings.....shit, do something quick, we have to keep Bielsa.

Would Leeds spend so much if Bielsa had another year on contract already?

I actually think they would have spent about a billion on about seven horseshit players, Fulham/Villa-style, by now if it werent for Bielsa demanding specific players/qualities.

They dont strike me as a club that would have a sane and balanced approach, even without Bielsa. Rather the reverse - I think he will be the main reason they wont go crazy this summer. Rodrigo for £30m sounds expensive to me but I dont doubt they would have done similar or worse business even if Bielsa were never even born.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
No plan you say? shit scared he leaves? Desperate?...you couldn’t be more wrong. We’re two years into a 5 year plan that was laid out when Bielsa came in. We’re bang on track and if you haven’t noticed we’re also in the process of picking up a load of young top prospects for the u23’s. We’re building for the future whilst getting the quality in we need to ensure Premier League survival.

Yeh, we did that when our Cat 1 academy first opened as well (Ben White was in the first year's intake). They don't tun into Premier League quality players overnight. You're basically 6 years behind us.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
I really don't think it is.
For anyone outside the UK who is under 25 or so and gained interest in English football, dominated by the Premier League, you're just another side who has been promoted from that bit below. Same as us.

From teaching Japanese high school kids for the last 7 years I can absolutely confirm that none of them have ever heard of or mentioned Leeds United. It's taken 3 successive seasons in the PL for me to hear "Aah Brighton I know them!" from a smattering of soccer mad kids that play for the school team. I think this is probably because we've been there long enough to have had a few results against the likes of Arsenal and Man U.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Leeds are a big club with a world wide draw.

Let's unpack this a bit further. Most players who are in their prime now would be probably around 27-30 in age. Leeds were relegated from the PL in 2004. By most definitions that would be the point they stopped being meaningfully a "big club".

That was 16 years ago. Those players would therefore have been 11-14 in age at the time. They might recognise Leeds, but frankly since then Leeds have been eclipsed on a worldwide scale by the hyper-clubs (the PL big 6, the big 2/3 in Spain, Bayern, PSG and now some of the Italian clubs). Anyone younger than that wouldn't regard Leeds as a "big club". So the only players knocking around who will be impressed by the name "Leeds United" are English players who are knocking on a bit.

I'd argue Aston Villa are a bigger name than Leeds United. Didn't help them much last season. And they had a stronger squad to start from than you have.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
If you haven’t realised by now that social media is full of idiots (likely the under 20’s) then you really should stop reading Facebook and Twitter. There’s these clowns from all clubs and I wholeheartedly agree with you it’s embarrassing. Unfortunately these idiots have always been amongst us it’s just in the modern world social media has given them all a platform. I can assure you, of the 40 odd lads in my local supporters club we all understand the Ben White situation and hold no bad feelings at all. Don’t confuse the under 20’s on Twitter with the match going regulars.

...why are these under 20s all using profile pics of middle aged men? Is that some sort of strange catfishing trend?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What I don't get about the Leeds five-year-plan is why it only started in 2018 when Bielsa was appointed.

Radrizzani bought a 50% stake in Leeds in December 2016 before buying the remainder in May 2017.

Why did he/they go through the following managerial appointments and dismissals before getting to Bielsa:

Garry Monk – 2 June 2016 – 25 May 2017
Thomas Christiansen – 15 June 2017 – 4 February 2018
Paul Heckingbottom – 6 February 2018 – 1 June 2018

Did Radrizzani just piss about for a bit before embarking on his audacious plan?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Let's unpack this a bit further. Most players who are in their prime now would be probably around 27-30 in age. Leeds were relegated from the PL in 2004. By most definitions that would be the point they stopped being meaningfully a "big club".

That was 16 years ago. Those players would therefore have been 11-14 in age at the time. They might recognise Leeds, but frankly since then Leeds have been eclipsed on a worldwide scale by the hyper-clubs (the PL big 6, the big 2/3 in Spain, Bayern, PSG and now some of the Italian clubs). Anyone younger than that wouldn't regard Leeds as a "big club". So the only players knocking around who will be impressed by the name "Leeds United" are English players who are knocking on a bit.

I'd argue Aston Villa are a bigger name than Leeds United. Didn't help them much last season. And they had a stronger squad to start from than you have.

- The year Facebook was invented. When Leeds were getting relegated from the Premier League, you could only join Facebook if you were studying at a handful of US top-tier universities.
- The iPhone wasn't even a glint in Steve Jobs' eye - the first one was still three years away.
- Want to pop a video on YouTube? You'll need to wait a year - it doesn't exist yet.
- Now That's What I Call Music 57 was in the charts (we're now up to 106). It included the smash hit "Mysterious Girl" by Peter Andre.

I don't doubt much of Yorkshire still feels like 2004, but the rest of the world has moved on a bit.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
What I don't get about the Leeds five-year-plan is why it only started in 2018 when Bielsa was appointed.

Radrizzani bought a 50% stake in Leeds in December 2016 before buying the remainder in May 2017.

Why did he/they go through the following managerial appointments and dismissals before getting to Bielsa:

Did Radrizzani just piss about for a bit before embarking on his audacious plan?

A bit like limbering up before going on a run, this was just practice before the 'main event'.

Or maybe, having seen Ben White at Newport, he started to ask questions about how to create a solid development programme like the one that produced Ben.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour

There is no plan .

Just bullshit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

- The year Facebook was invented. When Leeds were getting relegated from the Premier League, you could only join Facebook if you were studying at a handful of US top-tier universities.
- The iPhone wasn't even a glint in Steve Jobs' eye - the first one was still three years away.
- Want to pop a video on YouTube? You'll need to wait a year - it doesn't exist yet.
- Now That's What I Call Music 57 was in the charts (we're now up to 106). It included the smash hit "Mysterious Girl" by Peter Andre.

I don't doubt much of Yorkshire still feels like 2004, but the rest of the world has moved on a bit.

Mysterious girl was a 90s CLASSIC wasn't it?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Not to mention the debut singles by the winners of top talent shows of Fame Academy and Pop Idol.

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC

I was thinking this the other day. Zoomers (24 and under), the hot new talent coming through would have been max 8 years old when Leeds were relegated.
20yr olds would have been 4 years old. Leeds were not on their radar, not in their DNA.
Brighton have actually been more relevant as a percentage of their lives and in their formative years, having been in the Premier League the last 3 years.

Leeds have a monstrously sized fanbase and huge presence on social media. Can't deny that. The fans could be 20 or 100 years old.
For young players, I do not see any special reason to go there.
If you are interested in Bielsa, maybe. But even Leeds fans have commented that they do not believe he will stay much longer than another year. So there is no stability (holy shit I love Bloom and our board so much).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here