Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Deluded Leeds (an EFL club) fans

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I know hunting whales is widely (and correctly) looked down on these days, but I must say, this one has been royally skewered. It's as if every time he pops his blowhole above the water, there are a fleet of Japanese fishing boats waiting to harpoon the ****.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Shakespeare does insults best. Choose one from each column

31A4B185-B7E9-4E69-962E-7A9F652E2831.jpeg

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I know hunting whales is widely (and correctly) looked down on these days, but I must say, this one has been royally skewered. It's as if every time he pops his blowhole above the water, there are a fleet of Japanese fishing boats waiting to harpoon the ****.

Zackly! That tip-tongued furriner certainly beats the devil round the gooseberry bush. Dunnamuch chuckle-headed rubbidge the grummut can nabble before he learns that Sussex Wun't Be Druv. (Apologies for the dialect, but whenever we read a word in another language we should see it, not as excluding, but as a chance to learn, apparently. Praper lamentable sprucing if y'ask me, but maun munder).

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Is that supposed to be funny?!

The real irony is that whilst its a paradoy about us, if the Author changed "Potterball" for "Bielsaball" and left all other references in there about winning the league and champions league within 2 years, many Leeds fans would be "top article that"

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Interesting. I'm no student of psychology, so I'm wondering what the word is for someone who attempts to say/write something that is taking the piss, only to actually take the piss out of themselves, horrifically?

Whatever it is, this lad has absolutely NAILED it. HB&B would be proud of such work.

EDIT - He's also written some shit about Messi joining Leeds and compared him to Gordon Strachan. :ffsparr:

NURSE!!

I believe it's a 'Timmy' isn't it ??

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Shakespeare has been a compulsory part of the national curriculum since 2017 and was widely studied by most pupils before then. Aren't there enough things to worry about in this world without making up lies to get cross about? Your closed minded view of modern literature presumably excuses the current poet laureate on the grounds of his Yorkishness. Both of my kids have studied his work at GCSE.

Offended as you were by casting that's blind to gender, you presumably wouldn't have enjoyed the original all male versions either. You're missing out. Manchester's Royal Exchange production a few years ago with Maxine Peake in the title role was one of the best I've seen. (Try it. You don't have to worry. She is a heterosexual).

I don't want to bring you unwelcome news, but if you have a problem with homosexuality, the theatre may not be the place for you. If you like to use the term lesbian as a pejorative, I would also humbly suggest that this board is also not the place for you. Either stop the bigotry dressed as banter, or take it away from here, you cullionly barbermonger.

Which play is that in ? If it isn't then I hope it enters common usage.
[MENTION=11720]kevo[/MENTION] is right in his observations. I once read that almost half of colloquial expression even now comes from the bible or Shakespeare.

I'll be honest, I find his plays dull. But I love old English having won reading cups from the age of 10 using the King James.

I like what you have written here. Shakespeare is adaptable to cultural norms. The only criteria is that the actors need to be expressive and capable. I'm not bothered with cross-sexual cast, I just watch it to wow at the amazing use of old English. It's awesome.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I must admit, this whole "Leeds fans being pathetic" thing has been the most fun I've had on the internet for a while (and I know how to have fun on the internet, knwimsyn).

They're even easier to make fools of than Palace fans. And that's quite a feat.

Outstanding levels of anger and stupidity.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I must admit, this whole "Leeds fans being pathetic" thing has been the most fun I've had on the internet for a while (and I know how to have fun on the internet, knwimsyn).

They're even easier to make fools of than Palace fans. And that's quite a feat.

Outstanding levels of anger and stupidity.

Of course you did sweetheart.............. no honest we believe you............ any unicorns or flying pigs come into the dream?

wacko.jpg

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Of course you did sweetheart.............. no honest we believe you............ any unicorns or flying pigs come into the dream?

View attachment 127290

That is incredible. I am sure that our defenders speak all the time to random Leeds fans about whether our players want to stay or leave (and given how professional our club is, I doubt any of the other players would know if White wanted to leave)

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Which play is that in ? If it isn't then I hope it enters common usage.

[MENTION=11720]kevo[/MENTION] is right in his observations. I once read that almost half of colloquial expression even now comes from the bible or Shakespeare.

I'll be honest, I find his plays dull. But I love old English having won reading cups from the age of 10 using the King James.

I like what you have written here. Shakespeare is adaptable to cultural norms. The only criteria is that the actors need to be expressive and capable. I'm not bothered with cross-sexual cast, I just watch it to wow at the amazing use of old English. It's awesome.

King Lear. It's from when Kent is slagging off Goneril's Steward after the latter has insulted the king.

To be honest, I've never really understood what is really meant when etymologists say that words or phrases are invented by Shakespeare. Yes, the poetic lines, but simple words and phrases? My understanding is that their process is to look for the earliest printed usage and give credit to the author for inventing the word or idiom. If this is right, it's perhaps a bit dismissive of the oral tradition. I also wonder why any playwright would use so much invented language and risk alienating a listening audience. It seems more likely to me that most of the words he's credited with inventing were in common usage, but were written down first by him or survive because his works do.

This is not to denigrate Shakespeare, but quite the opposite. If my assumption is correct, I see him as one of the only writers of his time to adopt the parlance of the common man and that's why his language is so rich. He was using words that were perhaps common on the street, but that other writers did not consider to be acceptable vernacular for the stage. This suggests a picture of someone that is completely at odds with the 'he must have been a nobleman' conspiracy theory that developed centuries after his death. If my assumption is correct, it is less likely that a noble would be conversant with the common slang of the day.

It's my guess that Shakespeare was dismissed by pompous Tudor/Stuart conservatives as a woke poet who's trendy now, but likely to be forgotten within a few years: The self congratulating and utterly incurious Michael Gove view of culture.

Colour/gender etc. blind casting seems to be the best way to go for drama. It's fairly silly for anyone to get upset that someone who is ultimately playing dress up isn't actually real and ensuring that real world performers have equal opportunity seems far more desirable than pandering to people who struggle to suspend their disbelief. Actors should be supported to bring whatever they have to a piece without fear of exclusion. The adaptability of Shakespeare is one of its greatest strengths. The more interpretations, the better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here