Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Deluded Leeds (an EFL club) fans

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
[tweet]1295544925661155328[/tweet]

It's so unfair, clubs won't sell us players just because we want them, wah wah wah. Oh and I am sure Dan James is really disappointed the move to Leeds didn't happen. Maybe he preferred the idea of being on the bench at a bigger club too (note he actually started 26 Premier League games and made sub appearances in 7 more games, a decent return for a first season at that level). They really have no grip on reality.

The stupidity is incredible. How exactly is extended loan with agreed price best for Brighton

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
That is from the play scene in Hamlet. It is actually deeply ironic, because Gertrude is referring to an actress who is meant to be a parody of herself, and her (alleged) role in old Hamlet's murder.

What a wonderful play it is. The language is utterly divine, you see quotes from it, perhaps not on a daily, but certainly a weekly basis. But most people are blissfully unaware of their source, as Shakespeare hardly gets taught in schools nowadays. Such a shame. Still I am sure that whatever they are replacing him with, some crap woke poet who will be forgotten and unread in fifty years more than makes up for his loss. Not.

I went to see Hamlet in the West End before lock down. It was a so so production, good in parts, but almost ruined for me by the fact that Rosencrantz and Guildernstern were played by two lipstick lesbians. I know Shakespeare productions always reflect the age in which they are performed, but that was a step too far...

Just thought I would share that, I know what a bunch of culture vultures you all are!
My son is 13 and at a decent, but very mixed state school in Sheffield. They've already done Macbeth and Romeo and Juliet. Including a local theatre company coming to the school and performing both. He's looking forward to studying Othello as the teacher said that was her favourite Shakespeare play, so he started researching it. Because she's a good teacher and he loved the previous plays.

Like everything else you say, the idea that Shakespeare isn't taught properly to kids these days is utter RUBBISH.

You really know absolutely **** all. Flowery language does not cover up ignorance of basic facts. In fact, it just exposes how stupid you really are.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
has Bielsa signed his contract yet?

Surely? No. FFS I'll try again tomorrow.

And I think it's gonna be a long long time
'Till touch down brings me round again to find
I'm not the man they think I am at home
Oh no no no I'm a bucket man
Bucket man burning out his fuse up here alone

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
The language is utterly divine, you see quotes from it, perhaps not on a daily, but certainly a weekly basis. But most people are blissfully unaware of their source, as Shakespeare hardly gets taught in schools nowadays.

I struggle a bit with Shakespeare, but whenever I have dipped in I'm always struck by just how many everyday phrases are derived from his plays. - and, as you say, most people are completely unaware, eg: Vanish into thin air, there's a method to my madness, wild-goose chase, green eyed-monster, wear my heart upon my sleeve, etc, etc. Even 'puking' comes from Shakespeare, apparently. Surely it's still taught in schools, though - at least at A level standard?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
My son is 13 and at a decent, but very mixed state school in Sheffield. They've already done Macbeth and Romeo and Juliet. Including a local theatre company coming to the school and performing both. He's looking forward to studying Othello as the teacher said that was her favourite Shakespeare play, so he started researching it. Because she's a good teacher and he loved the previous plays.

Like everything else you say, the idea that Shakespeare isn't taught properly to kids these days is utter RUBBISH.

You really know absolutely **** all. Flowery language does not cover up ignorance of basic facts. In fact, it just exposes how stupid you really are.

If you read him as a kind of ornately verbose Crodonilson he becomes mildly entertaining. Even more so if you think he's like that for real. A poor man's wordy Alan Partridge type figure.

*No offence towards [MENTION=3385]crodonilson[/MENTION] was intended at any point in this post*

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I struggle a bit with Shakespeare, but whenever I have dipped in I'm always struck by just how many everyday phrases are derived from his plays. - and, as you say, most people are completely unaware, eg: Vanish into thin air, there's a method to my madness, wild-goose chase, green eyed-monster, wear my heart upon my sleeve, etc, etc. Even 'puking' comes from Shakespeare, apparently. Surely it's still taught in schools, though - at least at A level standard?
As mentioned, of course it is. He's just chatting total shit as per.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
If you read him as a kind of ornately verbose Crodonilson he becomes mildly entertaining. Even more so if you think he's like that for real. A poor man's wordy Alan Partridge type figure.

*No offence towards [MENTION=3385]crodonilson[/MENTION] was intended at any point in this post*
Crodo is funny though. As is Partridge. Beached Whale is just a sad, David Brentesque gimp.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
has Bielsa signed his contract yet?

Surely? No. FFS I'll try again tomorrow.

You Brighton fans just don’t get it, you don’t understand what a genius Bielsa is! He doesn’t need a contract he’s that kind of guy he bleeds Leeds

#freebenwhite [emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

I was going to say the same thing when I read this clown's drivel. As a father to 18 and 16 year olds, one of whom is now doing an English A level, my anecdotal observation is that Shakespeare seems to be taught in a lot more in more depth than it was in my day. This bloke really is an utter f**kwit, I wish someone would ban the tiresome bell-end.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Crodo is funny though. As is Partridge. Beached Whale is just a sad, David Brentesque gimp.

Oh, no doubt he's not a patch on Crodo but I find if I read him in the same or similar style his posts are way less annoying and become mildly entertaining. I have no idea if I'm laughing with him or at him but they do become briefly amusing.

I've even coined a word for his love of ramming shit and unnecessary french and latin phrases into his posts: polygluttony. As in 'Killer Whale's posts are polygluttonous'. I liked it.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

Interesting. I'm no student of psychology, so I'm wondering what the word is for someone who attempts to say/write something that is taking the piss, only to actually take the piss out of themselves, horrifically?

Whatever it is, this lad has absolutely NAILED it. HB&B would be proud of such work.

EDIT - He's also written some shit about Messi joining Leeds and compared him to Gordon Strachan. :ffsparr:

NURSE!!

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Shakespeare hardly gets taught in schools nowadays. Such a shame. Still I am sure that whatever they are replacing him with, some crap woke poet who will be forgotten and unread in fifty years more than makes up for his loss. Not.

I went to see Hamlet in the West End before lock down. It was a so so production, good in parts, but almost ruined for me by the fact that Rosencrantz and Guildernstern were played by two lipstick lesbians. I know Shakespeare productions always reflect the age in which they are performed, but that was a step too far...

Just thought I would share that, I know what a bunch of culture vultures you all are!

Shakespeare has been a compulsory part of the national curriculum since 2017 and was widely studied by most pupils before then. Aren't there enough things to worry about in this world without making up lies to get cross about? Your closed minded view of modern literature presumably excuses the current poet laureate on the grounds of his Yorkishness. Both of my kids have studied his work at GCSE.

Offended as you were by casting that's blind to gender, you presumably wouldn't have enjoyed the original all male versions either. You're missing out. Manchester's Royal Exchange production a few years ago with Maxine Peake in the title role was one of the best I've seen. (Try it. You don't have to worry. She is a heterosexual).

I don't want to bring you unwelcome news, but if you have a problem with homosexuality, the theatre may not be the place for you. If you like to use the term lesbian as a pejorative, I would also humbly suggest that this board is also not the place for you. Either stop the bigotry dressed as banter, or take it away from here, you cullionly barbermonger.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here