Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Deluded Leeds (an EFL club) fans

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes thank you, that better emphasises my point.

So aside from this, spectacular achievement in the game, what else has he won in his 40 odd years of management?

Obviously he’s won more than that.. riiiight?

No idea, but I think his previous history has been listed on this thread somewhere! To be honest, I'd certainly never heard of him until I started following Ben White's season-long loan (without an option to buy clause) at Leeds.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Ok, he may be the coolest man, but what’s he actually won in the game - besides the illustrious English old div 1?

No trolling, genuine question

I was about to post something similar, there seems to be a bit of a love in with Bielsa, with various managers saying how good he is, but , if we take the "winning something at the highest level" as a bench mark for being a truly world class manager I cant see what he has done. He has taken Leeds to the title in the second tier with a reasonable record , but no championship records broken, and as has been pointed out, we came second with an identical return.

In the world game he hasn't won, or come close to winning anything at international level, and none of his teams at club level have picked up domestic or international trophies

So what is it that makes him anything other than a competent to good manager? He obviously cant be relied on to commit to a club given his record of waking out after a few days! He obviously doesn't command loyalty from his coaching staff given most of Leeds have jumped from a Premier League bound team to Championship stugglers .

Is it really a case of "Emperors New Clothes " we are seeing?

BigRed

May 22, 2020
The thing I don’t understand about Bielsa is apparently he is all about ‘preparation’ and planning.

Yet over the shortest close season ever he has spent all of it messing about on signing a new contract.

I’m sure he will sign it and stay.... but it doesn’t say a lot about his commitment or confidence in the project does it ? If it doesn’t start well I can see him quitting by November

Because he isn’t about the money etc, him & his staff are still taking preseason training as usual. It’s not about the money to Bielsa it’s the all about the football first which is why his contracts take a while to sort because he’s too interested in the football side of things.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I was about to post something similar, there seems to be a bit of a love in with Bielsa, with various managers saying how good he is, but , if we take the "winning something at the highest level" as a bench mark for being a truly world class manager I cant see what he has done. He has taken Leeds to the title in the second tier with a reasonable record , but no championship records broken, and as has been pointed out, we came second with an identical return.

In the world game he hasn't won, or come close to winning anything at international level, and none of his teams at club level have picked up domestic or international trophies

So what is it that makes him anything other than a competent to good manager? He obviously cant be relied on to commit to a club given his record of waking out after a few days! He obviously doesn't command loyalty from his coaching staff given most of Leeds have jumped from a Premier League bound team to Championship stugglers .

Is it really a case of "Emperors New Clothes " we are seeing?

Olympic gold medal with Argentina and two Argentinian league titles?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
“Not for sale”means... we can go in with an improved bid of £2m... obviously? Don’t be silly.

Ross old boy. I value your house at £50k. That’s fantastic business for both of us. That should be enough to the deal. Don’t be greedy and keep your house hostage. I’ll collect the keys next week.

Doesn’t understand sellers market [emoji3581]

https://twitter.com/news_leeds/status/1294552477229027328

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
“Not for sale”means... we can go in with an improved bid of £2m... obviously? Don’t be silly.

Ross old boy. I value your house at £50k. That’s fantastic business for both of us. That should be enough to the deal. Don’t be greedy and keep your house hostage. I’ll collect the keys next week.

Doesn’t understand sellers market [emoji3581]

https://twitter.com/news_leeds/status/1294552477229027328

That’s quite a rash offer, to be honest. he might take you up on that.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Because he isn’t about the money etc, him & his staff are still taking preseason training as usual. It’s not about the money to Bielsa it’s the all about the football first which is why his contracts take a while to sort because he’s too interested in the football side of things.

Well for someone who is all about the football he has left you lot right in the s*** as the season starts in 4 weeks and what player would sign for a club where the manager has not yet committed.

BigRed

May 22, 2020
I, like you had never heard of him. The more you hear and read about him he appears to be a tad unhinged and odd. He must be a nightmare to manage from boardroom level as you'll never be sure what's going on in his head.

Really feel if the kitchen gets too hot he just packs his bin and disappears. I would always have that in my mind if was a Leeds fan. You could never mould you club philosophy around him or have a structure like we do. It's success built on sand.

That’s nonsense, Bielsa has completely changed the culture of the club from the layout of the training ground pretty much designing it to way he wants it, has the club built around his whole ethos. If promises are made to him & kept there is no ticking time bomb. He left lazio because what they had promised was a lie. He’s a man of principle & is humble. He paid 2m out of his own money to build newells a training ground, he lives in a flat above a shop. Bielsa prefers his squads to be 18 senior players with the rest from the youth teams. So the u23’s are constantly training with the first team learning his methods which is why we’ve had so many debuts over the past 2 years they know the system inside out & he has full faith in the kids ability to just slot in.

Now put that against Hughton & potter and ask yourselves would they be brave enough to have at least 10 players under 20 make their debuts while he’s been in charge. They answer is no they wouldn’t that’s why he’s got the reputation he has because it’s brave. Doesn’t always come off like many say “he’s never won anything” but he goes to do it his way making players along the way. I.e Ben white, Benjamin Mandy, Andre Herrera, etc

BigRed

May 22, 2020
Well for someone who is all about the football he has left you lot right in the s*** as the season starts in 4 weeks and what player would sign for a club where the manager has not yet committed.

Because he is committed, Jack Harrison just signed his interview “I can’t wait to get started with Marcelo again” everyone knows he’s staying he’s taking preseason he’s walking around the streets in Leeds training gear. No one is worried because he’s happy

BigRed

May 22, 2020
“Barcelona just doesn’t have the same appeal as Leeds United”

Suuuuurre

https://twitter.com/road_lowfields/status/1294579306727964673

I don’t think you quite understand Bielsa, you’ll learn more this year. I actually think Barca might appeal to him if he is asked but as person Bielsa honestly isn’t taken by money & size of the club, he’s a romantic & really honourable that’s where the leeds fans come from when they say he’d not leave because he isn’t a mercenary. If he feels like he’s still got a job to do or owes someone something he could very well turn it down. That’s not because we are as big as Barca it’s because he’s honourable

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here