Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Deluded Leeds (an EFL club) fans

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
You forget Leeds are the rightful Champions of Europe and one of the biggest clubs in the universe

Those weren't my words: they were the words of a The Leeds United fan (even if he pretends not to be).

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He was offered and turned down the job of managing Boca Juniors, the biggest club in Argentina (by quite some margin).
Boca Juniors? Yes, we know them, another team we have used to develop our youngsters - we had another youngster on loan there to help his development until recently, when we recalled him. He's a full Argentine international now, by the way. Fits nicely in our squad with our other two full South American internationals.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Boca Juniors? Yes, we know them, another team we have used to develop our youngsters - we had another youngster on loan there to help his development until recently, when we recalled him. He's a full Argentine international now, by the way. Fits nicely in our squad with our other two full South American internationals.

We also had trouble getting him back too....

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020

Good for you.

But it is not on point. For an Argentinian the Boca manager's job is the biggest in the country. If he were interested in money and winning titles he would have taken it in a heart beat.

Not everything in football is about is about money and winning silverware, there is such a thing as the beauty of the game as a spectacle. (You should appreciate that yourselves, as a club which isn't the richest and is yet to achieve great onfield success).

Bielsa's philosophy that football is not just about money and success, but is capable of beauty, and that should also be its aim, is a large part of what makes him quite so engaging and fascinating as a manager.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Good for you.

But it is not on point. For an Argentinian the Boca manager's job is the biggest in the country. If he were interested in money and winning titles he would have taken it in a heart beat.

Not everything in football is about is about money and winning silverware, there is such a thing as the beauty of the game as a spectacle. (You should appreciate that yourselves, as a club which isn't the richest and is yet to achieve great onfield success).

Bielsa's philosophy that football is not just about money and success, but is capable of beauty, and that should also be its aim, is a large part of what makes him quite so engaging and fascinating as a manager.

Has he signed yet?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
He is a legend in Argentina, yes it's not Europe, but when a side like Newell's name their stadium after you from only 3 seasons of management, he probably goes alright.

I'd also preface it by saying he is now 65 years old. He spent his prime in Argentina, Mexico and managing Argentina.

It's not necessarily only Leeds fans, Pep, Poch, Messi etc all idolize the guy, so he clearly has something about him.

Bilboa were awesome to watch when he had them in La Liga. I will be interested to see how they look in the PL next year, much like when Klopp moved over to England, some managers just have that intangible ability to turn average players into good ones, he's in that category. Trophies aren't everything especially for a quirky manager like Bielsa who has never desired to move to a major club, he's always preferred something left of center.

Gods actual record

Newells OB - Did great (for a non top club)
2 more non descript jobs where he did absolutely nothing, before......
Velez Sasrfield - won a mini Tournament
Espanyol - Left without impact to take Argentina
Argentina 98-04 hit/miss - Massive Flops in WC 2002 - dumped out at the group stage
2004-2007 Worlds best ever manager unemployed
Chile - 07-11 Did great admittedly for Chile, their Halcyon period - Threatened to walk out if new Chile football president nominee was elected - He was - so God stormed out
Bilbao 11-13 - started brightly in first season before fading badly at the end to finish 10th, next season rubbish, finished 12th, not offered new contract (effectively released) * to Note ( as you referenced Bilbao) the season before God Joined Joaquín Caparrós finished 6th - thus the previous manager qualified them for the UEFA cup in Gods first season not Bielsa, Bielsa did qualify for the UEFA once himself but not by his dire league finishes - purely because they were thrashed 3-0 by Barcelona in the the Copa Del Rey final and Barcelona were already in Europe.
Marseille 14-15 Took arguably the second biggest team in France and finished 4th, next season after losing first game had a tantrum and walked out
Unemployed 1 year
Lazio 2016 - Left after a strop, 2 days after joining
Lille 2017 (last top flight job) Dumped a load of experienced players, brought in new players, spectacularly failed, a total car crash, suspended after 13 games then sacked.
Unemployed 1 year
Leeds United - Did great (for a non top club) Tailed off and failed in first season, before adding half a team of other clubs loan players and winning the second tier of English football - Murals, God like status, Best manager the world has ever seen.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East

I've got to say that I really like what I've seen and read about Bielsa (well before the current saga). He seems to be a highly principled man, who doesn't give a sh|t about material possessions and pours his life into his work. He takes total responsibility for things going wrong (and deflects praise to the team when things go well). He's essentially the antithesis of Mourinho. (and Mourinho makes my sh|t itch)

It's going to be a tough* call between wanting to see Bielsa do well and wanting Leeds to break Derby's record low points tally (11?) to wipe the smile off the faces of all those northern gobshites.

*it's not really that tough - I'm a big fan of schadenfreude :lolol:

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020
Their real fans will know as they will have seen leeds play against Potter’s Swansea. By contrast it’s unlikely that many of their twitter goons have been to Elland Road much at all and perhaps not for around 16 years.

I have seen Leeds play live against a Potter managed Swansea since you mention it.

They were a very good side under him (and attractive to watch) but not at our level. We beat them 2-1 at Elland Road but the better game was at the Liberty where we drew 2 -2. A cracking match with a draw probably a fair result although I thought we shaded it by the end. It was nip and tuck, fantastic for a neutral I imagine. Marcelo made a very brave and effective decision to substitute Phillips, I remember, halfway through the first half. Swansea were targeting him very efficiently, and he was getting frustrated, and had been booked. It was brilliant, and turned the game back in our favour, it had looked to be getting away from us.

I can remember Kalvin walking off the field looking utterly shell shocked and crushed. But he didn't sulk in future games, it seemed to just make him even more determined to please Marcelo subsequently.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I have seen Leeds play live against a Potter managed Swansea since you mention it.

They were a very good side under him (and attractive to watch) but not at our level. We beat them 2-1 at Elland Road but the better game was at the Liberty where we drew 2 -2. A cracking match with a draw probably a fair result although I thought we shaded it by the end. It was nip and tuck, fantastic for a neutral I imagine. Marcelo made a very brave and effective decision to substitute Phillips, I remember, halfway through the first half. Swansea were targeting him very efficiently, and he was getting frustrated, and had been booked. It was brilliant, and turned the game back in our favour, it had looked to be getting away from us.

I can remember Kalvin walking off the field looking utterly shell shocked and crushed. But he didn't sulk in future games, it seemed to just make him even more determined to please Marcelo subsequently.

I’m sure Kalvin would have been fine with his master giving him a few treats. Sounds like the best substitution in the history of the game. I doubt it will ever be forgotten.
I mentioned Swansea purely to remind leeds fans of Potter’s style (ie not hoofball). Clearly he didn’t have PL standard players to work with but then nor do leeds.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
They're too busy posting on tiktok instead.

[tweet]1293644444433031169[/tweet]

****ing hell!

tenor (7).gif

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Rightio. Does he have an acolytes forum you can join ? Your exaggeration makes you sound ridiculous. I’m not sure many on here care so I have no idea why you are trying to persuade.

Like a lot of Leeds fans, he is trying to persuade himself. There must be a lot of secretly worried Leeds fans now, Manager hasn't signed, coaching staff seem to have all gone to Huddersfield, only signings are from the Championship, or player they had on loan last Season. So there has been no strengthening on the paying side, and the front line coaching staff, whoever they may be will all be new and will not know the players they do have well . Pre-season has already started and the countdown to kick off is underway. In their position I would be frantically trying to convince myself that everything is fine and dandy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here