Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Deluded Leeds (an EFL club) fans

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
They really do believe themselves higher up the food chain than they are because of ancient past or that Elland Road holds a few thousand more.

I wonder how much they'll have to spend on Elland Road to bring it up to Premier League standard? Even then I suspect it'll still be a fairly uncomfortable visit, as I recall from my only previous visit there that the seats were just bolted directly to every other step of the former terraces meaning even an average height chap such as myself couldn't sit down without squashed knees!

:lolol:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I wonder how much they'll have to spend on Elland Road to bring it up to Premier League standard? Even then I suspect it'll still be a fairly uncomfortable visit, as I recall from my only previous visit there that the seats were just bolted directly to every other step of the former terraces meaning even an average height chap such as myself couldn't sit down without squashed knees!

:lolol:

That can't be true as I've seen tweets explaining that the mighty Leeds match all of our facilities!

Edit, found tweet:

[TWEET]1289130456093425665[/TWEET]

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
NSC will be fun IF White ends up at Leeds :smile:

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020
I have one question.
If Bielsa is so good, best coach in the World, turned Ben White from a League 1 reject, into a future England stalwart, etc , how come he couldn’t make Jean-Kevin Augestein into a Championship striker?

This has already been discussed on the thread.

Augustin failed to meet Bielsa's strict fitness and weight requirements. It also sounds as though he has a massively over inflated ego. Put those together with being injury prone and you have the perfect storm of why he wasn't even played, let alone turned into a Championship striker.

He is a man who demands obedience from his players. Pontus Jansson, the Swedish international, who was a cult hero at Elland Road was the only player on the team who tried to stop Villa equalising, after Leeds' disputed goal in a vital game at the end of the season before last. You may remember it? An extraordinary thing for a manager to do in a vital game, and something I didn't agree with at the time, and still don't now.

I thought when I saw that Pontus wouldn't be long for the club, and sure enough soon after he was shipped out to Brentford. Jansson is a leader, he does what he believes in, he is a strong character. Bielsa insists that HE is the only leader at the club. That was a big call because Pontus was loved by the fans. In a sport in which young men become immensely rich and feted, and can sh@g every wannabe WAG who takes their fancy, a club manger has to be strong to earn the players' respect. They have to be mastered.

Augustin could have scored a lot of goals in the Leeds system, the number of chances we created was off the scale. Our conversion rate was very poor and for that you have to blame Bamford. We could have done with the guy, frankly. But Bielsa didn't like the guy's attitude, that is the long and short of it. Thought he was a to$$er. Which he is. It was the same with Riquelme when he manged the Argentine national side.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
To be fair to Leeds it's not the only 'old' Premier League ground where they do that (bolt seats to every other step). Away end at Anfield springs to mind. It's no wonder almost everyone stands!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Does anyone else find Bielsa creepy as anything? Bloke makes my skin crawl.
I'd imagine every Leeds fan will join you when he rocks up at Barcelona, in a couple of weeks time.

#StayClassy.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Augustin failed to meet Bielsa's strict fitness and weight requirements. It also sounds as though he has a massively over inflated ego. Put those together with being injury prone and you have the perfect storm of why he wasn't even played, let alone turned into a Championship striker.

He is a man who demands obedience from his players. Pontus Jansson, the Swedish international, who was a cult hero at Elland Road was the only player on the team who tried to stop Villa equalising, after Leeds' disputed goal in a vital game at the end of the season before last. You may remember it? An extraordinary thing for a manager to do in a vital game, and something I didn't agree with at the time, and still don't now.

I thought when I saw that Pontus wouldn't be long for the club, and sure enough soon after he was shipped out to Brentford. Jansson is a leader, he does what he believes in, he is a strong character. Bielsa insists that HE is the only leader at the club. That was a big call because Pontus was loved by the fans. In a sport in which young men become immensely rich and feted, and can sh@g every wannabe WAG who takes their fancy, a club manger has to be strong to earn the players' respect. They have to be mastered.

Augustin could have scored a lot of goals in the Leeds system, the number of chances we created was off the scale. Our conversion rate was very poor and for that you have to blame Bamford. We could have done with the guy, frankly. But Bielsa didn't like the guy's attitude, that is the long and short of it. Thought he was a to$$er. Which he is. It was the same with Riquelme when he manged the Argentine national side.

Then why do you guys need Ben White? Just get Bielsa to sign another “league one player whose club doesn’t want him” work his magic and turn him into a £30m player?

If Bielsa can do that so easily you don’t need Ben.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
That is a very insightful post, and I think I perhaps agree with you.

Not about your views of Bielsa qua coach. How does one even establish agreed criteria to judge what the "best coach in the world" would look like? If it is in trophies won he hardly registers. Shouldn't enter the conversation at all. But if we are talking about legacy and influence on worldwide football tactics, and on individual players and clubs he is right up there. Because we are so parochial here in England, and think the football world revolves around us, he only gains notice when he manages an English club. All I can say is that Guardiola, who has knocked around the international football world for a number of years, and knows a good deal more about the subject than you or I describes him as "the best, most well prepared coach I ever met in my life". Which would rank him higher than just the best in the world today, but the best in the world for an adult football lifetime.

Whatever. Your main point is very percipient. He does't have to manage Leeds, or any other club, he isn't doing it for the money (which although not large by PL standards will be more than the Manager of Man U earns if he signs) and he will only do so if he knows it is a worthwhile project, that is attainable. The amount he researches football is frightening, he is an obsessive. He knew everything about every single club in the Championship, down to the most minute detail. Now he is turning his attention to the PL and is working out
what Leeds needs to do to succeed, and to establish what success looks like. He turned down West Ham before Leeds because they just told him they wanted a comfortable survival, and doing that didn't interest him.

He will get other offers, which might be of more interest. There is definitely a bond with Leeds, but he walked from his boyhood club after two years having made them champions of Argentina, like Leeds for the first time in an age. So sentiment won't play a part.

He is deciding whether it is possible to take Leeds right to the very top. To play in the Champions League, to do a Leicester even. If that is in his view a challenge that can be realistically accepted he will sign. If not he will walk. He could save Leeds from relegation next season in a heart beat, but that isn't enough motivation for him. I think.

So I agree with you. And isn't it refreshing to see someone not motivated by money? He gives most of his earnings at Leeds to his old club Newells to fund a new training academy. I don't know about you but I find that laudable, estimable.

Doesn't that mean chances of Bielsa signing a new contract is slim?

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
That is a very insightful post, and I think I perhaps agree with you.

Not about your views of Bielsa qua coach. How does one even establish agreed criteria to judge what the "best coach in the world" would look like? If it is in trophies won he hardly registers. Shouldn't enter the conversation at all. But if we are talking about legacy and influence on worldwide football tactics, and on individual players and clubs he is right up there. Because we are so parochial here in England, and think the football world revolves around us, he only gains notice when he manages an English club. All I can say is that Guardiola, who has knocked around the international football world for a number of years, and knows a good deal more about the subject than you or I describes him as "the best, most well prepared coach I ever met in my life". Which would rank him higher than just the best in the world today, but the best in the world for an adult football lifetime.

Whatever. Your main point is very percipient. He does't have to manage Leeds, or any other club, he isn't doing it for the money (which although not large by PL standards will be more than the Manager of Man U earns if he signs) and he will only do so if he knows it is a worthwhile project, that is attainable. The amount he researches football is frightening, he is an obsessive. He knew everything about every single club in the Championship, down to the most minute detail. Now he is turning his attention to the PL and is working out
what Leeds needs to do to succeed, and to establish what success looks like. He turned down West Ham before Leeds because they just told him they wanted a comfortable survival, and doing that didn't interest him.

He will get other offers, which might be of more interest. There is definitely a bond with Leeds, but he walked from his boyhood club after two years having made them champions of Argentina, like Leeds for the first time in an age. So sentiment won't play a part.

He is deciding whether it is possible to take Leeds right to the very top. To play in the Champions League, to do a Leicester even. If that is in his view a challenge that can be realistically accepted he will sign. If not he will walk. He could save Leeds from relegation next season in a heart beat, but that isn't enough motivation for him. I think.

So I agree with you. And isn't it refreshing to see someone not motivated by money? He gives most of his earnings at Leeds to his old club Newells to fund a new training academy. I don't know about you but I find that laudable, estimable.

See the arrogance.

"He could save Leeds from relegation next season in a heart beat, but that isn't enough motivation for him. I think."

You state he could then add "I think" at the end?

The mask is slipping even further. Your are just as deluded as the rest, but with better vocabulary.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

If , as you say, that Bielsa is the only leader at the club, why was Augestein originally signed? If he was that bad, attitude fitness, etc, how come that wasn’t picked up?
He wasn’t cut price, he can’t have been a punt, at that price, what was the initial attraction given his history with Monaco, and to a certain extent Leipzig? From the outside, it looks like someone got this loan/ deal very wrong.

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020
Doesn't that mean chances of Bielsa signing a new contract is slim?

I don't know. That is the honest answer.

His brother thinks he will sign, if that means anything. It probably doesn't, I don't know how much they talk.

He is a totally unpredictable character, a mad genius. Leaving Lazio after two days. Who dies that, without another job to go to? Totally crazy.

He is not called El Loco for nothing...

But isn't football enlivened by interesting, colourful characters? Is there a thread on this website, at inordinate length, discussing Dean Smith?

If so, what would there even be to say?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
See the arrogance.

"He could save Leeds from relegation next season in a heart beat, but that isn't enough motivation for him. I think."

You state he could then add "I think" at the end?

The mask is slipping even further. Your are just as deluded as the rest, but with better vocabulary.

I assumed that the 'I think', is in relation to Biesla's motivation, rather than the survival part. Surviving relegation is an absolute certainty for those that suckle at the Bieslateat

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009

His brother thinks he will sign, if that means anything. It probably doesn't, I don't know how much they talk.

He is a totally unpredictable character, a mad genius. Leaving Lazio after two days. Who dies that, without another job to go to? Totally crazy.

But isn't football enlivened by interesting, colourful characters? Is there a thread on this website, at inordinate length, discussing Dean Smith?

He does sound a character. but also hard work. It sounds like you can't build the future of Leeds around him as he could walk away at any time. Surely if you want to really build something you need to be stable.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX

Wouldn't swap GP for this nut bar in a month of Sundays.

Looking likely he'll walk out on you too if you don't start making some impressive signings.

Good luck with that, you're certainly going to need it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here