Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Deluded Leeds (an EFL club) fans

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I have one question.
If Bielsa is so good, best coach in the World, turned Ben White from a League 1 reject, into a future England stalwart, etc , how come he couldn’t make Jean-Kevin Augestein into a Championship striker?

I am sure Bielsa is a very good coach (although 'best in world' seems to be pushing it at this stage).

And that is why he knows full well what he needs to succeed in the premier league. As he did in the championship. And he knows full well that he isn't actually magic, and cannot be successful, no matter what he does personally, without a higher calibre of players than he has at the moment.

And I suspect that is why he'll be demanding to see who gets signed, and exactly what Leeds are prepared to do to get the players he wants, before he makes any decision about his own future. Better to walk away, with stock high and a ready made excuse ('they were not prepared to meet my demands in terms of investment, we did not share the same standards and ambitions' etc), than to risk being seen to fail.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I am sure Bielsa is a very good coach (although 'best in world' seems to be pushing it at this stage).

And that is why he knows full well what he needs to succeed in the premier league. As he did in the championship. And he knows full well that he isn't actually magic, and cannot be successful, no matter what he does personally, without a higher calibre of players than he has at the moment.

And I suspect that is why he'll be demanding to see who gets signed, and exactly what Leeds are prepared to do to get the players he wants, before he makes any decision about his own future. Better to walk away, with stock high and a ready made excuse ('they were not prepared to meet my demands in terms of investment, we did not share the same standards and ambitions' etc), than to risk being seen to fail.

A bit like Peter Taylor (II) did with us after we got promoted to the Championship back in the dim mists of time.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Bear with me on this thought experiment:
Despite our recent advances unless you're established top half there is always a realistic risk of relegation.
So you're always at least partially looking at which 3 teams are going down instead.
While they are probably deluded Leeds are the most likely of the three promoted to pull a Sheffield.
Given this it would be a good idea to weaken them.
Now you could do this by just not selling them Ben White.
OR while denying it publicly you could keep hinting that a deal is possible, you could spend ages getting close on the price, more time haggling over sell on clauses, you could say you want to do the Solly March deal at the same time, you could even fanny about haggling over them loaning another prospect for Saint Bielsa to develop... Etc etc.
Then you could just walk away as the window is about to shut with in an ideal world:
Leeds without Ben White or a replacement for him.
Leeds with a selection of over priced panic buys that destabilise the team.
Leeds without Bielsa due to above.
Incredibly toxic home atmosphere due to all the above.
Tell Tony and Paul I'm available on a consultancy basis.

You honestly think Mr. Bloom would conduct business this way?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I have one question.
If Bielsa is so good, best coach in the World, turned Ben White from a League 1 reject, into a future England stalwart, etc , how come he couldn’t make Jean-Kevin Augestein into a Championship striker?

Failed a fitness test or something

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Bear with me on this thought experiment:
Despite our recent advances unless you're established top half there is always a realistic risk of relegation.
So you're always at least partially looking at which 3 teams are going down instead.
While they are probably deluded Leeds are the most likely of the three promoted to pull a Sheffield.
Given this it would be a good idea to weaken them.
Now you could do this by just not selling them Ben White.
OR while denying it publicly you could keep hinting that a deal is possible, you could spend ages getting close on the price, more time haggling over sell on clauses, you could say you want to do the Solly March deal at the same time, you could even fanny about haggling over them loaning another prospect for Saint Bielsa to develop... Etc etc.
Then you could just walk away as the window is about to shut with in an ideal world:
Leeds without Ben White or a replacement for him.
Leeds with a selection of over priced panic buys that destabilise the team.
Leeds without Bielsa due to above.
Incredibly toxic home atmosphere due to all the above.
Tell Tony and Paul I'm available on a consultancy basis.
There's something to be said for acting professionally as a club in all things. ^ is rank amateur.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
This is making me smile. All the fuss from Leeds fans over ben white, You'd think he carried the entire team to promotion. Well. If he did. they are in serious trouble next season.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016

Although I would say that he has already stated that he expects the core of his team to make the step up. Although that seems at odds with other reports about him providing 'three to five targets for each position'. The below from The Athletic (paid content) is quite interesting. It states that he is expecting to use an even smaller number of players this season, as there are less games than the Champs. I think I expected the same actually, but the intensity is slightly different.

https://theathletic.co.uk/1949272/2020/07/31/transfers-leeds-united-watkins-benrahma-white-bryan/

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
This is making me smile. All the fuss from Leeds fans over ben white, You'd think he carried the entire team to promotion. Well. If he did. they are in serious trouble next season.

Agreed. Makes Bielsa look like an idiot rather than the genius he is reported to be. Why would you build your team around another club's player that you have absolutely no guarantee in having in your squad the following season?

Thick as pig effluence... like the majority of Leeds supporters it would seem. :lolol:

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020

That is a very insightful post, and I think I perhaps agree with you.

Not about your views of Bielsa qua coach. How does one even establish agreed criteria to judge what the "best coach in the world" would look like? If it is in trophies won he hardly registers. Shouldn't enter the conversation at all. But if we are talking about legacy and influence on worldwide football tactics, and on individual players and clubs he is right up there. Because we are so parochial here in England, and think the football world revolves around us, he only gains notice when he manages an English club. All I can say is that Guardiola, who has knocked around the international football world for a number of years, and knows a good deal more about the subject than you or I describes him as "the best, most well prepared coach I ever met in my life". Which would rank him higher than just the best in the world today, but the best in the world for an adult football lifetime.

Whatever. Your main point is very percipient. He does't have to manage Leeds, or any other club, he isn't doing it for the money (which although not large by PL standards will be more than the Manager of Man U earns if he signs) and he will only do so if he knows it is a worthwhile project, that is attainable. The amount he researches football is frightening, he is an obsessive. He knew everything about every single club in the Championship, down to the most minute detail. Now he is turning his attention to the PL and is working out
what Leeds needs to do to succeed, and to establish what success looks like. He turned down West Ham before Leeds because they just told him they wanted a comfortable survival, and doing that didn't interest him.

He will get other offers, which might be of more interest. There is definitely a bond with Leeds, but he walked from his boyhood club after two years having made them champions of Argentina, like Leeds for the first time in an age. So sentiment won't play a part.

He is deciding whether it is possible to take Leeds right to the very top. To play in the Champions League, to do a Leicester even. If that is in his view a challenge that can be realistically accepted he will sign. If not he will walk. He could save Leeds from relegation next season in a heart beat, but that isn't enough motivation for him. I think.

So I agree with you. And isn't it refreshing to see someone not motivated by money? He gives most of his earnings at Leeds to his old club Newells to fund a new training academy. I don't know about you but I find that laudable, estimable.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

It's hard to comprehend the thought processes of these Leeds idiots. Obviously White did great, they rate him and want to keep him, but this whole episode it seems is more than just about the desire to keep white.

It's struck a chord where they can't reconcile the situation against their own self inflated delusions of grandeur. They really do believe themselves higher up the food chain than they are because of ancient past or that Elland Road holds a few thousand more. It's just not conceivable in this deluded bubble that anyone outside the top six could consider anyone else over Leeds. An alter reality detached from the real world.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here