Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Deluded Leeds (an EFL club) fans

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Hehe. Go on, post that on a Leeds forum. I dare you! :whistle:
You'll never get on WACCOE. They're really delicate little souls on there. Well, it sounded like little souls. Whenever they lose it goes into lockdown. If you do get on there and say something they don't like-- you get banned. Such a loathsome set of fans

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
D2C4F0C2-2F7E-4147-A7F5-DC80D8EEF018.jpeg

Constipated?

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
My aren't we the la di da Premier League club, with our airs and graces compared to the peasants! Sticking our noses up. Get you. :D

As Kipling wrote:

"The Colonel's lady and Judy O'Grady are sisters under the skin."

You aren’t getting it Monsieur poisson de saindoux, we are not getting too big for our boots about being in the PL. We are pointing out that it probably won’t be quite the cake walk that many Leeds fans expect.

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020
For some reason I thought Larkin was gay. I don't know why I get him confused with Joe Orton. Probably because I read so much Alan Bennett and get constant references to sixties poets and playwrights. That said, they were both a bit irregular for the time.

Have you ever read the definitive (I think) biography of Joe Orton? Prick Up Your Ears? Fantastic book.

I am not gay myself but it made me think it sounds a lot more fun than being straight!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Have you ever read the definitive (I think) biography of Joe Orton? Prick Up Your Ears? Fantastic book.

I am not gay myself but it made me think it sounds a lot more fun than being straight!

No when you get murdered by a jealous boyfriend....

I've read all Bennett's social commentaries. They're addictive in their blandness.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I've just read that Peter Crouch book if that helps.

Sorry can’t find the context of this but love the podcast - if you’re being serious what’s the book and is it worth a go..?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
One of the issues that the promoted clubs will have is the short turn round time before the season starts. It looks like Leeds are desperate as they seem to be enquiring about every player that's ever played in the Premier League and many others around Europe.
I wonder if it's in a desperate attempt to get a couple of decent players in quickly to appease Bielsa. He still hasn't signed a new contract. I expect the hierarchy at Leeds are getting a bit twitchy. Glad we have done some business early.
Would like to get Brewster in on a years loan and I'd then be happy with what we've done.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
To be fair they would be two quality signings.

But Leeds are being linked with everyone at present because they are 'leaking' their enquiries all over the place. It seems as if the hierarchy at Leeds just can't keep their mouths shut about who they are looking at. The local press are reporting players that Leeds are interested in and then acouple of days later are having to report that it's unlikely to come off for a number of reasons. It is the polar opposite of how we do business.

Non Brighton examples;

they were close to signing Jonathan David from Gent for £20m, and now the player is going to Lille.

Cavani is being talked to, now looking as if he is going to Benfica.

If they don't land a couple soon they'll look in trouble. Rose and Delph will be on big money and frankly I'm not sure that they would fit Bielsa's style. They all look like panic enquiries.

As you can tell, I'm quite enjoying this unfold.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Most players don't read much, Graeme Le Saux was allegedly subject to homophobic taunts for taking the Guardian into the dressing room, but the best Managers are likely to. A lot.

Marcelo is an intellectual and comes from one of the most prominent families in Argentina. One brother is the Ambassador to Chile, and the other a Government Minister. (I think anyway? Someone correct me if I got that wrong). A gifted family, anyway.

So don't knock reading, it can get you to the top in football if not on the field itself. Bielsa was a journeyman defender for Newells but the best managers aren't necessarily the best former players. Football management is an intellectual endeavour, and intellectuals read and read and read.

Even Frank Lampard knows Latin apparently although that may be a stretch. :D

Latin is one of his 12 A- and A*-grade GCSEs. Being the son of a reasonably well-off footballer, he went to a fee-paying school (Brentwood) but he obviously worked hard. Of course, that didn't stop him behaving like an arse on Sept 11 2001, but that's also often part of being a footballer.

Some might say that if former players were really intelligent, football management would be the last thing they'd go into.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
But Leeds are being linked with everyone at present because they are 'leaking' their enquiries all over the place. It seems as if the hierarchy at Leeds just can't keep their mouths shut about who they are looking at. The local press are reporting players that Leeds are interested in and then acouple of days later are having to report that it's unlikely to come off for a number of reasons. It is the polar opposite of how we do business.

Non Brighton examples;

they were close to signing Jonathan David from Gent for £20m, and now the player is going to Lille.

Cavani is being talked to, now looking as if he is going to Benfica.

If they don't land a couple soon they'll look in trouble. Rose and Delph will be on big money and frankly I'm not sure that they would fit Bielsa's style. They all look like panic enquiries.

As you can tell, I'm quite enjoying this unfold.

To be fair, that might not be the club's fault.

To me it looks like the local rag is using transfer rumours as click bait, only to reel in thier frothing fans, gullible and ready to believe anything.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I have one question.
If Bielsa is so good, best coach in the World, turned Ben White from a League 1 reject, into a future England stalwart, etc , how come he couldn’t make Jean-Kevin Augestein into a Championship striker?

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Bear with me on this thought experiment:
Despite our recent advances unless you're established top half there is always a realistic risk of relegation.
So you're always at least partially looking at which 3 teams are going down instead.
While they are probably deluded Leeds are the most likely of the three promoted to pull a Sheffield.
Given this it would be a good idea to weaken them.
Now you could do this by just not selling them Ben White.
OR while denying it publicly you could keep hinting that a deal is possible, you could spend ages getting close on the price, more time haggling over sell on clauses, you could say you want to do the Solly March deal at the same time, you could even fanny about haggling over them loaning another prospect for Saint Bielsa to develop... Etc etc.
Then you could just walk away as the window is about to shut with in an ideal world:
Leeds without Ben White or a replacement for him.
Leeds with a selection of over priced panic buys that destabilise the team.
Leeds without Bielsa due to above.
Incredibly toxic home atmosphere due to all the above.
Tell Tony and Paul I'm available on a consultancy basis.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Bear with me on this thought experiment:
Despite our recent advances unless you're established top half there is always a realistic risk of relegation.
So you're always at least partially looking at which 3 teams are going down instead.
While they are probably deluded Leeds are the most likely of the three promoted to pull a Sheffield.
Given this it would be a good idea to weaken them.
Now you could do this by just not selling them Ben White.
OR while denying it publicly you could keep hinting that a deal is possible, you could spend ages getting close on the price, more time haggling over sell on clauses, you could say you want to do the Solly March deal at the same time, you could even fanny about haggling over them loaning another prospect for Saint Bielsa to develop... Etc etc.
Then you could just walk away as the window is about to shut with in an ideal world:
Leeds without Ben White or a replacement for him.
Leeds with a selection of over priced panic buys that destabilise the team.
Leeds without Bielsa due to above.
Incredibly toxic home atmosphere due to all the above.
Tell Tony and Paul I'm available on a consultancy basis.

No.

A quick way to unsettle and marginalize our best young prospect.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here