Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Deluded Leeds (an EFL club) fans

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020
[MENTION=10202]Not Andy Naylor[/MENTION] is a professional journalist for the broadsheets. Good football writer. Not sure about his authority on Chaucer though. I'm more of a Larkin man meself.

'They **** you up, your football teams....'

This is my kind of forum! I love Philip Larkin too. Wonderful poet.

Sadly he has fallen out of fashion because he is so unwoke, and used to w@nk himself off to girlie mags (not the done thing in radical feminist circles they tell me) but you have to differentiate the man from his art, some of the greatest artists, writers and composers were terrible human beings. (Not that having a w@nk is that bad in my view!) The post modernists have a hard time with that. And yet they tell us that the author has died, and there is nothing but the text!

Sorry, going off on a bit of a rant! Not a fan of Derrida, Barthes and all their acolytes... :D

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Anyway back on topic

27d5fabbfc23479969d7c9988e9bd8ef.jpg

They’re in for a hell of a shock when they get absolutely pumped by Wolves, Leicester, Burnley and Southampton.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019

Sadly he has fallen out of fashion because he is so unwoke, and used to w@nk himself off to girlie mags (not the done thing in radical feminist circles they tell me) but you have to differentiate the man from his art, some of the greatest artists, writers and composers were terrible human beings. (Not that having a w@nk is that bad in my view!) The post modernists have a hard time with that. And yet they tell us that the author has died, and there is nothing but the text!

Sorry, going off on a bit of a rant! Not a fan of Derrida, Barthes and all their acolytes... :D

What about Clough's Dipsychus.?
How do you rate that Victorian poem?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Most players don't read much, Graeme Le Saux was allegedly subject to homophobic taunts for taking the Guardian into the dressing room, but the best Managers are likely to. A lot.

Marcelo is an intellectual and comes from one of the most prominent families in Argentina. One brother is the Ambassador to Chile, and the other a Government Minister. (I think anyway? Someone correct me if I got that wrong). A gifted family, anyway.

So don't knock reading, it can get you to the top in football if not on the field itself. Bielsa was a journeyman defender for Newells but the best managers aren't necessarily the best former players. Football management is an intellectual endeavour, and intellectuals read and read and read.

Even Frank Lampard knows Latin apparently although that may be a stretch. :D

I was humorously (I thought) asking the question of your fellow deluded Leeds fan (on Twitter) and gently mocking the direction the thread has taken. Quite how you turned it in to a deification of Bielsa is beyond me.

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020
Look matey, don't come on here with your deluded manic MOT Leeds ways talking all sensible and friendly - you're destroying an image that it has taken your fellow dirty Leeds fans the best part of 40 years to cultivate!!!

Don't worry. Next time we meet my fellow Leeds fans will chant "Does your boyfriend know you're here?"

And you can sing back "You're too ugly to be gay!"

Some things are time honoured...

Another poster on this thread called football panto, and I thought that totally nailed it...

Leeds United fans are the pantomime villains of the game but with just an under current of menace (sadly.)

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
They’re in for a hell of a shock when they get absolutely pumped by Wolves, Leicester, Burnley and Southampton.

Exactly as I said on another post, they’ve been playing that well against teams that are all much worse than the teams at the very bottom of the prem. even the top Championship teams are going to have a match against the bottom prem clubs. Their easiest opponents this coming season are still harder than the absolute toughest matches from their last season. And the harder opponents this season will be unbelievably tougher

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Don't worry. Next time we meet my fellow Leeds fans will chant "Does your boyfriend know you're here?"

And you can sing back "You're too ugly to be gay!"

Some things are time honoured...

Another poster on this thread called football panto, and I thought that totally nailed it...

Leeds United fans are the pantomime villains of the game but with just an under current of menace (sadly.)

Err no..... that post shows how long you have been away from the PL (and the 21st century).

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020
What about Clough's Dipsychus.?
How do you rate that Victorian poem?

I don't know it, I am embarrassed to admit. Yet.

You have prompted me to read it though, so thanks for that.

The French have a saying:

"La culture, c'est comme la confiture, moins on en a, plus on l'étale"

Culture is like jam, the less one has the thinner one spreads it.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Most players don't read much, Graeme Le Saux was allegedly subject to homophobic taunts for taking the Guardian into the dressing room, but the best Managers are likely to. A lot.

Marcelo is an intellectual and comes from one of the most prominent families in Argentina. One brother is the Ambassador to Chile, and the other a Government Minister. (I think anyway? Someone correct me if I got that wrong). A gifted family, anyway.

So don't knock reading, it can get you to the top in football if not on the field itself. Bielsa was a journeyman defender for Newells but the best managers aren't necessarily the best former players. Football management is an intellectual endeavour, and intellectuals read and read and read.

Even Frank Lampard knows Latin apparently although that may be a stretch. :D

Mate: Graham Potter has two degrees, including a Masters in leadership & emotional intelligence, but sure, you carry on telling us everyone except The Great Bielsa is a backward looking dinosaur.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Bit like the paint on the outside of their homes

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Err no..... that post shows how long you have been away from the PL (and the 21st century).

That's a bit harsh as it has no bad intent. Remember, a lot of Albion fans still don't get it. Better to explain than throw derision. If we weren't at the epicentre of the homophobic stuff I think the responses would be mostly the same as the one given.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

They also have a saying: "When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea".

Lever

Feb 6, 2019

Dipsychus (1850) is a quasi-dramatic poem on the Faust model - a humorous and satiric study of introspection. The poem lacks the unity of Amours de Voyage, but it contains Clough’s most original and polished satire.
Enjoy!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

For some reason I thought Larkin was gay. I don't know why I get him confused with Joe Orton. Probably because I read so much Alan Bennett and get constant references to sixties poets and playwrights. That said, they were both a bit irregular for the time.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Exactly as I said on another post, they’ve been playing that well against teams that are all much worse than the teams at the very bottom of the prem. even the top Championship teams are going to have a match against the bottom prem clubs. Their easiest opponents this coming season are still harder than the absolute toughest matches from their last season. And the harder opponents this season will be unbelievably tougher

Cases in point from this season just finished, a season where they by their own standards were brilliant;

Leeds 0 - 1 Swansea
Charlton 1 - 0 Leeds
Millwall 2 - 1 Leeds
Fulham 2 - 1 Leeds
Leeds 0 - 2 Sheff Weds :lol:
QPR 1 - 0 Leeds
Leeds 0 - 1 Wigan
Nottm Forest 2 - 0 Leeds
Cardiff 2 - 0 Leeds

All teams that are worse (much worse in some instances) than Brighton, Saints, West Ham, Villa.

Given all this, I’m confused quite why they’re so certain European qualification is likely.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Cases in point from this season just finished, a season where they by their own standards were brilliant;

Leeds 0 - 1 Swansea
Charlton 1 - 0 Leeds
Millwall 2 - 1 Leeds
Fulham 2 - 1 Leeds
QPR 1 - 0 Leeds
Leeds 0 - 1 Wigan
Nottm Forest 2 - 0 Leeds
Cardiff 2 - 0 Leeds

All teams that are worse (much worse in some instances) than Brighton, Saints, West Ham, Villa.

Given all this, I’m confused quite why they’re so certain European qualification is likely.

FFS they are a big club, and they said so. Why can't people get it.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

Leeds 0 - 1 Swansea
Charlton 1 - 0 Leeds
Millwall 2 - 1 Leeds
Fulham 2 - 1 Leeds
QPR 1 - 0 Leeds
Leeds 0 - 1 Wigan
Nottm Forest 2 - 0 Leeds
Cardiff 2 - 0 Leeds

Interesting. But a smaller club would have lost by bigger margins. Don’t forget, Leeds are the champions of Europe

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020

My aren't we the la di da Premier League club, with our airs and graces compared to the peasants! Sticking our noses up. Get you. :D

As Kipling wrote:

"The Colonel's lady and Judy O'Grady are sisters under the skin."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here