Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Deluded Leeds (an EFL club) fans

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I love Chaucer but am ashamed to admit I don't know the Franklin's Prologue and Tale.

I got round to the Decameron a little while ago, have you read it? As I am sure you know Boccaccio was a huge influence on Chaucer, and the work is very relevant in our days of Covid. Extremely sexy too! Full of stupid villagers with pretty wives getting cuckolded by clever Friars, and Monks deflowering Nuns. Highly entertaining if you don't know it. It hasn't got Chaucer's beautiful poetry in translation of course, but the tales are actually even better I think. Or the best of them are, not all.

Boccaccio is on my list, but I'm still struggling with some of the language in 'The Goblet of Fire'. Once I've mastered that, I'm right on in. Then Chaucer.

Can't wait.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
That wasn't original, I paraphrased Dr Johnson

20486756-7640301-image-a-14_1572630777329.jpg

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020
Bradley? Not a bad footballer but don't think he's a doctor

He was alright, but definitely nothing special at Leeds.

I am not going to diss him but he was nowhere to be seen when we played Blackburn this season. The ball just bypassed him time after time. He must have been having thoughts of "if only..."

I felt sorry for him actually. The club has moved on.

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
Jeez KW, don't bother!

We are from BRIGHTON. Land of the out-of-work actor and aromatherapy entrepreneur. Where everybody is writing a novel (or something...'the structure is more free-form really, ya').

In a 'who's got the most pretentious fans' competition there is only ever going to be one winner.

There will be some that try to persuade you otherwise. That we're actually quite uncouth and have 'been a bit tasty in our day'

But ne quid dicis innit

First Brightonian: "I'm writing a novel."

Second Brightonian: "Neither am I."

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I think its more about all or nothing. His way or the highway. We know how that ends. Manager who wants complete control. Think Poyet but perhaps more tactically aware. Bielsa apparently has a list of players from really pushing the boat to obtainable (or obtainable in his eyes). If he doesn't get them, then its toys out of pram. It will be the same end result as Poyet.

https://twitter.com/JoseDalbinho/status/1288232733907603458

Interesting proves he doesn't stay anywhere long, wonder if it's due to being found out by other teams

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Can’t help but notice that Ben White appears to be on holiday with......Aaron Connolly.

Yesterday he posted an instagram story with Jason Davis (15 months older than Ben, Davis also came through at Albion as a scholar and was a professional with the club while White was serving his scholarship).

But don't let the Leeds fans know that, their heads might explode.

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020
Yes, but what is he reading ?

Most players don't read much, Graeme Le Saux was allegedly subject to homophobic taunts for taking the Guardian into the dressing room, but the best Managers are likely to. A lot.

Marcelo is an intellectual and comes from one of the most prominent families in Argentina. One brother is the Ambassador to Chile, and the other a Government Minister. (I think anyway? Someone correct me if I got that wrong). A gifted family, anyway.

So don't knock reading, it can get you to the top in football if not on the field itself. Bielsa was a journeyman defender for Newells but the best managers aren't necessarily the best former players. Football management is an intellectual endeavour, and intellectuals read and read and read.

Even Frank Lampard knows Latin apparently although that may be a stretch. :D

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Most players don't read much, Graeme Le Saux was allegedly subject to homophobic taunts for taking the Guardian into the dressing room, but the best Managers are likely to. A lot.

Marcelo is an intellectual and comes from one of the most prominent families in Argentina. One brother is the Ambassador to Chile, and the other a Government Minister. (I think anyway? Someone correct me if I got that wrong). A gifted family, anyway.

So don't knock reading, it can get you to the top in football if not on the field itself. Bielsa was a journeyman defender for Newells but the best managers aren't necessarily the best former players. Football management is an intellectual endeavour, and intellectuals read and read and read.

Even Frank Lampard knows Latin apparently although that may be a stretch. :D

Look matey, don't come on here with your deluded manic MOT Leeds ways talking all sensible and friendly - you're destroying an image that it has taken your fellow dirty Leeds fans the best part of 40 years to cultivate!!!

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I love Chaucer but am ashamed to admit I don't know the Franklin's Prologue and Tale.

I got round to the Decameron a little while ago, have you read it? As I am sure you know Boccaccio was a huge influence on Chaucer, and the work is very relevant in our days of Covid. Extremely sexy too! Full of stupid villagers with pretty wives getting cuckolded by clever Friars, and Monks deflowering Nuns. Highly entertaining if you don't know it. It hasn't got Chaucer's beautiful poetry in translation of course, but the tales are actually even better I think. Or the best of them are, not all.

[MENTION=10202]Not Andy Naylor[/MENTION] is a professional journalist for the broadsheets. Good football writer. Not sure about his authority on Chaucer though. I'm more of a Larkin man meself.

'They **** you up, your football teams....'

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
[QUOTE

Even Frank Lampard knows Latin apparently although that may be a stretch. :D[/QUOTE]

what is her name, and, what position caused her to stretch?

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
[MENTION=10202]Not Andy Naylor[/MENTION] is a professional journalist for the broadsheets. Good football writer. Not sure about his authority on Chaucer though. I'm more of a Larkin man meself.

'They **** you up, your football teams....'

‘They may not mean to, but they do’

So very true.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here