Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Deluded Leeds (an EFL club) fans

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
Bielsa did not make Ben White the player he is today, Ben White made himself that player by using all the experience he had gained from his years being nurtured and trained at Brighton in a top class environment including being sent out on loan to clubs at a lower level to further his footballing education (Yes Leeds that includes you). No doubt Leeds was an important part of his transition as it represented a further step up in quality for him but now he will take the next step with the Albion in the Premier League. Thanks Leeds for helping Ben but you need to move on, I fear you need at least 6-8 players to make a fist of the PL next season and would do well to concentrate on that. You got lucky with a loan but that's all it ever was, a loan.

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020
It’s a daft question. Do you think we would have loaned out a highly rated young player, in the final year of his contract?

It is a hypothetical question. Which, as I am sure you know are used in many academic disciplines, the science, ethics, philosophy, to further knowledge and understanding.

I just wonder why, rather than saying that you were sure her preferred Brighton to Leeds, you instead attack the validity of the question?

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
I'd imagine he would go to whoever paid him the most money.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Thanks for mansplaining 'next club odds'.

Errrmm, it was news to me.

I don't really bet and have no idea how odds like that worked, so immediately thought the bookies might have information that he had refused to sign a new contract, or handed in a transfer request or something.

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020
You hid it well at first but you are just as deluded as the rest of them.

Most (all?) football fans are deluded, including you guys.

On what rational grounds would we support teams like Brighton or Leeds who will never win anything unless we are bought by a Russian billionaire or an oil soaked Gulf State? I called football suffering in an earlier post, we need the delusion to put up with it.

As for Bielsa, I have watched his team and its tactics a great deal more than you so have the advantage of rather more knowledge of his tactical acumen, or the lack thereof.

In fact have you EVER watched Leeds play under him?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
1. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. A player has to have certain attributes to succeed, natural ability is the non plus ultra and the experiences that have formed him at Academy Level and then in the Professional game. (With Newport County I believe?)

But yes, his time at Leeds has been life changing for him as a player. It will underpin his career for the rest of his playing life. The experience of being coached by a managerial genius, playing in a highly sophisticated tactical system, and having success at a good standard of football, just one step down from the very highest, will be the bedrock of a career that I think will include many years as an international, forming the core of the defence of a top four club.

Why would this not be so? I ask those reading to think of their own early lives, their days at school, their first steps in their careers. Are there not formative individuals and experiences that make us all what we are? So why would Ben White be different?

2. No.

Wasn’t Ben White a standout performer in his first few games though? How is that down to Bielsa?

I genuinely don’t understand the whole “Bielsa made White the player he is”. Why do you think your team wanted him in loan in the first place? Because he’s a good with player with a lot of potential. Ditto, why did we refuse a purchase option that Leeds asked for? Because we knew how good he was.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Most (all?) football fans are deluded, including you guys.

On what rational grounds would we support teams like Brighton or Leeds who will never win anything unless we are bought by a Russian billionaire or an oil soaked Gulf State? I called football suffering in an earlier post, we need the delusion to put up with it.

As for Bielsa, I have watched his team and its tactics a great deal more than you so have the advantage of rather more knowledge of his tactical acumen, or the lack thereof.

In fact have you EVER watched Leeds play under him?

I have always kept up with the Championship since we came up and seen most live games on the TV.

Yea he is a highly rated manager but managerial genius and highly sophisticated tactical system?

Do you think Leeds will play the same way in the Prem and they did the Champ and have results?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Frighteningly sensible.

Wasn’t Ben White a standout performer in his first few games though? How is that down to Bielsa?

I genuinely don’t understand the whole “Bielsa made White the player he is”. Why do you think your team wanted him in loan in the first place? Because he’s a good with player with a lot of potential. Ditto, why did we refuse a purchase option that Leeds asked for? Because we knew how good he was.

Frightenly sensible when he's peddling the 'life changing experience' that White had at Leeds. He arrived and was Championship Player of the Month for AUGUST. Brighton knew how good he was because, despite pressure we refused a loan with an option to buy.
Does Bielsa have a magic wand or something? You don't change a player's life within three weeks.

The Leeds fans remind me of love sick teenagers who are convinced they've found the love of their lives, only to find they are just a stepping stone and have been used just for experience. The rejection angst is palpable.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Rated second-highest in his FIRST competitive game for them according to the BBC poll (which, being about Leeds, probably had 4 million voters, so a decent sample)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49168918

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
That isn't going to happen.

If he stays we won't get relegated. WBA are dreadful, so are Villa, and so will the Play Off winner be, we know them we are better than all of them. Lot's better. I think we will surprise people and not be in a relegation dogfight myself, but we will see.

If Bielsa walks all bets are off though. And he very well might. He's mercurial.

Again, WBA can't be 'dreadful', if they've just been promoted to the PL. I'm beginning to realise you're a big fan of the old hyperbole, KW :lolol:

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020

I have given you an argument, I don't have to provide you with an understanding.

Of course he was a good player with potential to start with, as I said, you can't make a silk purse out of of a sow's ear.

And it isn't just about raw talent, it is about character formation too. You may have read the eulogies to Jack Charlton recently, it was hard to miss them. Like Bielsa he was a great man manager, although far more limited tactically. The most interesting one for me was from Greame Souness, who came under Charlton whilst of a similar age to Ben, at Middlesborough. It was a TV interview, so I am paraphrasing but the gist of it was, "I am very sad at his passing, he was one of the most influential figures not just in football terms but in my whole life. He made me the man I am."

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I have given you an argument, I don't have to provide you with an understanding.

Of course he was a good player with potential to start with, as I said, you can't make a silk purse out of of a sow's ear.

And it isn't just about raw talent, it is about character formation too. You may have read the eulogies to Jack Charlton recently, it was hard to miss them. Like Bielsa he was a great man manager, although far more limited tactically. The most interesting one for me was from Greame Souness, who came under Charlton whilst of a similar age to Ben, at Middlesborough. It was a TV interview, so I am paraphrasing but the gist of it was, "I am very sad at his passing, he was one of the most influential figures not just in football terms but in my whole life. He made me the man I am."

Character formation?

Ok... but you don’t disagree that Ben White was a very good player prior to his loan. Glad we can put that silliness to bed [emoji106]

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Frightenly sensible when he's peddling the 'life changing experience' that White had at Leeds. He arrived and was Championship Player of the Month for AUGUST. Brighton knew how good he was because, despite pressure we refused a loan with an option to buy.
Does Bielsa have a magic wand or something? You don't change a player's life within three weeks.

The Leeds fans remind me of love sick teenagers who are convinced they've found the love of their lives, only to find they are just a stepping stone and have been used just for experience. The rejection angst is palpable.

[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Graeme Souness and Jack Charlton were at Middlesbrough for four years together, not a few weeks.

Fans were praising him here too, long before he went on loan to Posh or Leeds.
https://www.newport-county.co.uk/news/2018/april/ben-white/

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020
I have always kept up with the Championship since we came up and seen most live games on the TV.

Yea he is a highly rated manager but managerial genius and highly sophisticated tactical system?

Do you think Leeds will play the same way in the Prem and they did the Champ and have results?

Yes they will play the same way, no they won't have the same results.

They are a bunch of players from our Academy, or retreads from the lower leagues, who cost nothing, and are paid a pittance. Mostly British.

If they avoid relegation in this league of mega bucks players from all over the planet it will be a huge achievement. But I still say they will surprise many...

And if they do it will be down to the Manager. In football it is ALL about the Manager, as I am sure you know as well as I.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The Leeds fans remind me of love sick teenagers who are convinced they've found the love of their lives, only to find they are just a stepping stone and have been used just for experience..[/QUOTE]

Blimey is that really a thing? I have never used a girlfriend as a stepping stone and experience. Bloody hope I was never used as one either....but now you’ve got me thinking :lolol:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yes they will play the same way, no they won't have the same results.

They are a bunch of players from our Academy, or retreads from the lower leagues, who cost nothing, and are paid a pittance. Mostly British.

If they avoid relegation in this league of mega bucks players from all over the planet it will be a huge achievement. But I still say they will surprise many...

And if they do it will be down to the Manager. In football it is ALL about the Manager, as I am sure you know as well as I.

Is this the season we find out if a top manager can avoid relegation with a bottom three squad? It’s a question that has been asked every season. Not sure one has ever done it though as they don’t tend to manage teams like that.

I will be interested to see how much money Leeds throw at this rather cavalier sounding exercise.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here