Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Deluded Leeds (an EFL club) fans

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
That isn't going to happen.

If he stays we won't get relegated. WBA are dreadful, so are Villa, and so will the Play Off winner be, we know them we are better than all of them. Lot's better. I think we will surprise people and not be in a relegation dogfight myself, but we will see.

If Bielsa walks all bets are off though. And he very well might. He's mercurial.

Remember that feeling of confidence because it will evaporate *very* quickly. This is a very different division and it may take a month or two but your tactics will be found out, torn apart and used to crucify you. It happens season after season and every year the club thinks they can play the same way they played in the Championship and get the same result.
It just isn't going to happen. If WBA, for example, adapt quicker then last season's comparison means nothing.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Seems as though plenty of them are chucking their money at the bookies - Leeds 7/4 favourites to sign him

https://twitter.com/SportingLifeFC/status/1288369416338657280?s=20

The Skybet site appears to be down (the government's not running that as well, is it?) so I can't find out how that works.

Is that a bet about where White will be playing on the first day of the season? If so, I'd fancy a bet on Brighton - whatever the odds are, they're going to be better than 7/4. An absolute steal

If it's a bet as to where White will go when he's finally transferred - whenever that is - then those are mad odds. If he makes the transition well, he'll go to a top 6 club and, if he doesn't, he's back to the Championship.

Either way, a punt on Leeds getting him is a strange one

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
The three key players in the Bielsa system are the striker, the holding midfielder and the playmaker, the enganche. And the latter two are the most important. arguably, as the wingbacks overload both wings, leading to scoring opportunities from midfielders as well as the main striker. (This isn't unique to him of course, the same positions are equally as crucial to you, I just don;t know your team well I am afraid. I haven't followed the Premier League at all).

Of those three players only Phillips is up to the job in the PL, IMO. The enganche, the most crucial player of all, is Hernandez. He has been fantastic in the Championship, but although he has the skill set still, he is too old and injury prone. And Bamford just isn't good enough, He is a fantastic team player, his work rate is second to none, and he is unselfish in putting other players in, but he wastes too many chances.

Our goal keeper used to be a weakness, Casilla cost us promotion last season, IMO, but the new young French keeper, Meslier has been outstanding, but we will no doubt get another keeper, all the same. We need a replacement for White, probably two strikers, and a new enganche.

Ayling has been a revelation under Bielsa. A different player entirely. Whether he will be good enough defensively in the PL I don't know. None of our players were that good individually this season, apart from Hernandez, Phillips and White. We were just coached superlatively, everyone knew their role, the press was relentless and we were fitter. The sum was greater than the parts, we were a team not a bunch of prim donnas. And all the better for it.

I clearly haven't seen as much of Leeds as you (and I had to look up "enganche"), but I tend to agree. The bits and pieces that I have seen, I've been very impressed. The challenge will be that the Premier League is a massive step up. Sheffield United made the transition with a "sum greater than the parts" team, and I don't see why Leeds can't do the same. It takes a canny manager, a great team-spirit, and at least a couple of very decent players who are NOT prima donnas. If Bielsa stays and Leeds strengthen a bit, they have a pretty decent chance of staying up.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Remember that feeling of confidence because it will evaporate *very* quickly. This is a very different division and it may take a month or two but your tactics will be found out, torn apart and used to crucify you. It happens season after season and every year the club thinks they can play the same way they played in the Championship and get the same result.
It just isn't going to happen. If WBA, for example, adapt quicker then last season's comparison means nothing.

Definitely worth the note of caution. Seems as though there are legions of Leeds fans who think their style of football with cope easily with the PL ('should be top ten' etc). Getting totally schooled by, say, Wolves (let alone Liverpool or City) in the first game or two will probably introduce a dose of realism quite quickly.....................

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
There could be some money to be made here

The Skybet site appears to be down (the government's not running that as well, is it?) so I can't find out how that works.

Is that a bet about where White will be playing on the first day of the season? If so, I'd fancy a bet on Brighton - whatever the odds are, they're going to be better than 7/4. An absolute steal

If it's a bet as to where White will go when he's finally transferred - whenever that is - then those are mad odds. If he makes the transition well, he'll go to a top 6 club and, if he doesn't, he's back to the Championship.

Either way, a punt on Leeds getting him is a strange one

It's NEXT CLUB odds. He must be about 20//1 ON to stay at Albion.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
You can't answer that question any more than we can, so let's cut the Big Club bullshit and resign yourself to the fact that we hold the cards here, and your best player last season doesn't belong to you.

Perhaps their* best player of the modern era?!

* But not theirs, obv.

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
It's NEXT CLUB odds. He must be about 20//1 ON to stay at Albion.
Pretty sure the market is for Ben White's next transfer or similar.

Brighton therefore not in the betting.

Sky Bet offering 7/4 he not only leaves us this Summer but also that its Leeds he moves to. Terrible price IMHO.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

Sky Bet offering 7/4 he not only leaves us this Summer but also that its Leeds he moves to. Terrible price IMHO.

If they had a market for him going nowhere, I’d be all over it like a cheap suit.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I'm having a bag of sand on MASSIVE

Massive.JPG

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I'm having a bag of sand on MASSIVE

View attachment 126619

How daft, who would put money on that 7/4.....

Oh hang on deluded fans of a certain club, who are blinded by ignorance, parting with my hard earned tax contributions towards their welfare...
Therefore driving the price down to stupid odds, and thus driving the rumour mill turbine faster and faster.
They are like fat hamsters stuck on the wheel going round and round and can't get off and when they do get thrown off the wheel, they take a quick reality check, and don't like it so they shake their heads and think "Nah, we are the only option, we are mighty Leeds" and jump straight back on that stupid wheel....

Madness

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020
Killer Whale is certainly an improvement on 90% of the Leeds fans online. However I would like him/her to acknowledge the general arrogance and yes, delusion of most their fan base regards Ben White.

KW, answer these questions honestly;

1) Do you believe Bielsa has made Ben White the player he is?
2) Do you see us as a team that plays hoof ball?

1. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. A player has to have certain attributes to succeed, natural ability is the non plus ultra and the experiences that have formed him at Academy Level and then in the Professional game. (With Newport County I believe?)

But yes, his time at Leeds has been life changing for him as a player. It will underpin his career for the rest of his playing life. The experience of being coached by a managerial genius, playing in a highly sophisticated tactical system, and having success at a good standard of football, just one step down from the very highest, will be the bedrock of a career that I think will include many years as an international, forming the core of the defence of a top four club.

Why would this not be so? I ask those reading to think of their own early lives, their days at school, their first steps in their careers. Are there not formative individuals and experiences that make us all what we are? So why would Ben White be different?

2. No.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
1. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. A player has to have certain attributes to succeed, natural ability is the non plus ultra and the experiences that have formed him at Academy Level and then in the Professional game. (With Newport County I believe?)

But yes, his time at Leeds has been life changing for him as a player. It will underpin his career for the rest of his playing life. The experience of being coached by a managerial genius, playing in a highly sophisticated tactical system, and having success at a good standard of football, just one step down from the very highest, will be the bedrock of a career that I think will include many years as an international, forming the core of the defence of a top four club.

Why would this not be so? I ask those reading to think of their own early lives, their days at school, their first steps in their careers. Are there not formative individuals and experiences that make us all what we are? So why would Ben White be different?

2. No.

You hid it well at first but you are just as deluded as the rest of them.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

Thanks for mansplaining 'next club odds'.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here

2. No.

Frighteningly sensible.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here