Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Deluded Leeds (an EFL club) fans

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Go for it. Sheffield United got 54 points, and we were much better than them in the season they went up. I haven't followed them closely, so don't know how different they are now, mind.

Sheffield set out this season with an aim to stay up. They played it tight, stymied the oppositions style of play, got some luck and developed a belief and a confidence as a unit that saw them over-achieve everyone's expectations. Fair play.

They have a style built around counter-attacking the bigger teams with a solid and experienced back-line which they don't leave exposed. Its very similar to what Wolves and Southampton do, and fairly similar to what we did under Hughton. What makes that style of play work is the striker leading the line - you want a strong guy, fairly big, good in the air but mobile, energetic and a hard hit shot on him. Wolves have Raul Jimenez, who is the kind of striker that every lower-prem side will covet, someone like him is the current missing piece for Brighton. He has the perfect combination of those skills listed above. Sheffield signed Ollie McBurnie, not as good, but a similar type of player who scored important goals and led their line well. Saints have Ings, Burnley have Wood. Glenn Murray in our first season up performed a similar role for us - but as these players age so their effectiveness wanes. Our defence was good enough to get the points, but the forward line didn't put away the chances needed to get to 50 points. These players and systems listed aren't identical, but the similarities point to the model for picking up points as a new team in the premier league.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Go for it. Sheffield United got 54 points, and we were much better than them in the season they went up. I haven't followed them closely, so don't know how different they are now, mind.

And Bielsa HAS won things. he made his old club, Newell's, small by Argentine standards, and overshadowed even in their own City, Rosario by Central, National Champions. But he never joined a mega club, where he certainly WOULD have run things. He turned down Boca Juniors, and (I think) will turn down Barca too, He is different. A football genius, who loves the game for itself, who doesn't judge success in terms of trophies.

Newell's fans still remember him, love him in fact, and many travelled over to England to join in the celebrations after we won the Championship. Leeds have become huge in Argentina, (a great football country by the way) with all their matches screened live on television there. Chile too.

When we won promotion there was a post on the Newell's English language twitter account asking "Do you get it yet?"

Yes we get it!! The man is a legend, and that is all there is to say. Yet that much debased term, says everything.

Name me something (and I mean this 100% genuinely) that Bielsa has done, apart from being Argentinian, that makes him any better than, say, Chris Hughton?

And in case you aren't already aware I suggest that you check Hughton's record in terms of getting teams up from the championship, the way he turned a VERY average Brighton team around on a modest budget, the way he brought the team back after getting so close to promotion and stormed the league the following year and the way his team won promotion playing fast attacking, attractive football.

Maybe Bielsa would have stopped the team from going on a three week bender and gving away the championship title, I might give him that!

But Chris Hughton has shown he can keep teams (on relatively modest budgets) in the premier league. That is still waiting on Bielsa's CV

Who knows how Leeds will do next season? May be great, may be a disaster. But to assume they will do well because of Bielsa's reputation and achievements to date? Nah.

Sleaford Seagull

Nov 17, 2010
Sleaford
It is rather like a cult. But then it is only football, not real life.

As long as he doesn't make us all drink cyanide laced rum, like in Jonestown, I'll be happy!

Being serious, he won't stick around much longer, even if he doesn't leave for Barca. Maybe this is the peak and it is all downhill from here. But it has been fun while it lasted, let me tell you. And he will receive a hero's welcome in Leeds however this turns out. For the rest of his life.

He plays football as it should be played. It is a thing of beauty to behold. You are all football fans yourselves, I am surprised our great affection for him and for that should surprise and even perhaps repel you? Does it? And if so why?

Is it just a hatred of Leeds as a club? Or a dislike and envy of the pleasure felt by others? How does the fact that we are so happy with Bielsa Ball, diminish Albion and the joy it (sometimes) gives you?

I don't think many Brighton fans have any particular dislike for Leeds more than most other clubs. I actually was really hoping you would get promoted, I have a lot of Leeds supporting friends and it will nice to face you in the top division.

I think the annoyance, which is what I would call it, has developed around the attitude towards Brighton about Ben White.
The assumption that he will stay with Leeds, that we have nothing to offer him, that we play hoof ball and that Potter wouldn't get the best out of him.......these aren't just being said by a small pocket of Leeds fans, it seems to be the common view. That is the part that has annoyed me.

We are an entirely different club to the one Leeds used to face in League 1, in the same way your a different club to the one managed by Steve Evans a few years ago.
We play great football coached by a fantastic young manager. We attract good young players and are one of the best run clubs in the country. All things that I think a well advised Ben White will consider when signing his new contract at the Amex next month.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Name me something (and I mean this 100% genuinely) that Bielsa has done, apart from being Argentinian, that makes him any better than, say, Chris Hughton?

And in case you aren't already aware I suggest that you check Hughton's record in terms of getting teams up from the championship, the way he turned a VERY average Brighton team around on a modest budget, the way he brought the team back after getting so close to promotion and stormed the league the following year and the way his team won promotion playing fast attacking, attractive football.

Maybe Bielsa would have stopped the team from going on a three week bender and gving away the championship title, I might give him that!

But Chris Hughton has shown he can keep teams (on relatively modest budgets) in the premier league. That is still waiting on Bielsa's CV

Who knows how Leeds will do next season? May be great, may be a disaster. But to assume they will do well because of Bielsa's reputation and achievements to date? Nah.

There's a better than evens chance that the same Leeds fans hailing him as the messiah are going to be calling for his head as they sit in the relegation zone with a thumping great goals against column this winter. We'll see

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

And Bielsa HAS won things. he made his old club, Newell's, small by Argentine standards, and overshadowed even in their own City, Rosario by Central, National Champions. But he never joined a mega club, where he certainly WOULD have run things. He turned down Boca Juniors, and (I think) will turn down Barca too, He is different. A football genius, who loves the game for itself, who doesn't judge success in terms of trophies.

Newell's fans still remember him, love him in fact, and many travelled over to England to join in the celebrations after we won the Championship. Leeds have become huge in Argentina, (a great football country by the way) with all their matches screened live on television there. Chile too.

When we won promotion there was a post on the Newell's English language twitter account asking "Do you get it yet?"

Yes we get it!! The man is a legend, and that is all there is to say. Yet that much debased term, says everything.
Woah!. Your first posts were fine, but gradually you seem to be digging deeper and deeper. Remember where this started - to quote part of a previous post;

"The ‘greatest hits’ of a deluded Leeds fan’:
- Bielsa “made” Ben White the player he is
- ‘What’s he going to learn playing hoof ball at Brighton’
- Tinpot club, bad for his career to go back there
- He’ll either play for a top 6 side or Leeds. No chance Brighton
- if they rate him so much, why they sending him out on loan all the time?
- he’s only worth 15m, put a bid in for that, it’s all player power these days, he’ll put in a request to join us, he’s not worth more than that (often followed by the below without a trace of irony)
- Stay with Leeds and Bielsa, and this lad will play for England. Stay with Brighton and Potter lolz and he’s going nowhere, just fighting relegation
" -
..... and add to that claims that he was a Leeds player, Brighton weren't able to take him back, they (Leeds!) would sell him to Liverpool, who would lend him back to them.

All this priceless f*ckwittery was all over Twitter, Waccoe and some ill-informed media sources, you surely can't deny that? Even if it was only hundreds of Leeds fans out of thousands that were sucking it up and dishing it out, it was a great source of amusement for us (not irritation, well, not much anyway - mostly amusement). It was the f*ckwittery on Twitter, Waccoe etc. that we were deriding, not Bielsa, not Leeds United, not fans like you who knew what you were talking about - you don't need to go defensive!
I wonder, BTW, what coverage we're getting in Argentina at the moment - bearing in mind we have a full current Argentinian international in our first team squad?
Good luck (but not too much!) for next season.
:thumbsup:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

You can't have been 'much better', due to the simple fact that Sheff Utd got promoted and Leeds didn't...

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Woah!. Your first posts were fine, but gradually you seem to be digging deeper and deeper. Remember where this started - to quote part of a previous post;

- he’s only worth 15m, put a bid in for that, it’s all player power these days, he’ll put in a request to join us, he’s not worth more than that (often followed by the below without a trace of irony)
- Stay with Leeds and Bielsa, and this lad will play for England. Stay with Brighton and Potter lolz and he’s going nowhere, just fighting relegation
" -
..... and add to that claims that he was a Leeds player, Brighton weren't able to take him back, they (Leeds!) would sell him to Liverpool, who would lend him back to them.

All this priceless f*ckwittery was all over Twitter, Waccoe and some ill-informed media sources, you surely can't deny that? Even if it was only hundreds of Leeds fans out of thousands that were sucking it up and dishing it out, it was a great source of amusement for us (not irritation, well, not much anyway - mostly amusement). It was the f*ckwittery on Twitter, Waccoe etc. that we were deriding, not Bielsa, not Leeds United, not fans like you who knew what you were talking about - you don't need to go defensive!
I wonder, BTW, what coverage we're getting in Argentina at the moment - bearing in mind we have a full current Argentinian international in our first team squad?

THIS.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

Jack Harrison put something similar on Twitter last year but went back. I suppose that when you aren’t even close to the Man City first team then Leeds looks very attractive.

Apparently there’s been a run on straws in Yorkshire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
FWIW, I couldn't give a rat's ass if the 'mighty' Leeds United were in the PL next season. I don't care how long the club has been out of the division, about it being 'good for the game' to have them back or that the fans have suffered so much 'hurt' because they haven't been playing PL football – suck it up, buttercups – that's life. That's not to say I hate the club – I'm pretty indifferent to any team, to be honest – but, from what I've seen, there are a bunch of entitled fans who think Leeds have a right to be playing European football (same happened when Villa came up last season and (I think) when Newcastle came back up with Brighton.

There are very few Albion fans who were expecting anything but a tough time in the league and (probably) relegation within the first or second season. That obviously didn't happen so anything from this point onwards is a bonus. Now the club is looking up not down and getting in Lallana and bringing back the likes of Ben White are part of a new plan to make us an established PL side. There is bound to be more movement, too, as Potter gets in more of 'his' players. So, quite frankly, any Leeds fans – or fans of other club who mock or question the club, its recruitment or its ambition – can do one.

What makes this whole situation a bit bizarre is the fact that BW hasn't even PLAYED in the PL. He could (hopefully) be amazing, but everyone knows that it's a massive jump up from the Championship to the PL and many players can't step up. Some of the talk of him going to a top four club is surely a bit premature, no?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Has he SINGED for us yet ? I'm getting bored with this one. I just don't think it will happen. Leeds United want £30m anyway.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Still scratching my head until September over which is the bigger club, Villa or Leeds?

View attachment 126594

The answer is, of course, Sheffield Wednesday.

All Leeds matches have been shown live in Argentina and they even televised whatever non Leeds match it was that confirmed their promotion. So sadly while perhaps not huge it is certainly significant

On state TV? Cable?

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East

:lol:

As much as I love Chris Hughton and what he did for us, I think it's a stretch to compare his CV favourably with Bielsa's (unless you're just talking about achievements in England, which would be a very skewed comparison)

Bielsa did manage Argentina for 6 years and they won gold at the Olympics. Debate the value of an Olympic gold medal as much as you like, but 6 years as manager of a top international side is beyond what our Chris has done.
He also got Bilbao to a Europa League final & the Copa del Rey final.
That's on top of titles in Argentina's top division with 2 different teams.

Not exactly the list of baubles one might expect listening to some of our Yorkshire chums, but therein lies the problem at hand. It will be interesting to see what happens next season, that's for sure!

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
:lol:

As much as I love Chris Hughton and what he did for us, I think it's a stretch to compare his CV favourably with Bielsa's (unless you're just talking about achievements in England, which would be a very skewed comparison)

Bielsa did manage Argentina for 6 years and they won gold at the Olympics. Debate the value of an Olympic gold medal as much as you like, but 6 years as manager of a top international side is beyond what our Chris has done.
He also got Bilbao to a Europa League final & the Copa del Rey final.
That's on top of titles in Argentina's top division with 2 different teams.

Not exactly the list of baubles one might expect listening to some of our Yorkshire chums, but therein lies the problem at hand. It will be interesting to see what happens next season, that's for sure!

I will admit that I really knew nothing about Bielsa until this season when I paid attention to Leeds because of Ben White. Today I spent some time viewing a few you tube videos about Bielsa. I now really hope that he decides not to stay with Leeds next season. If he stays then I'd be surprised if they are relegated.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Having done some nerdy number crunching, I calculate the Leeds United's average position in the last 50 years is 19th in the top flight. I think some sober judgement is needed there. They would be behind, say, Southampton. Take out the Revie years. and go for the last 40 only, they then become a Championship club (16 seasons Div 1, 21 seasons Div 2, 3 seasons Div 3).

Football has been going for longer than 50 years.

What does the size of the club matter?

Sunderland are a bigger club than Bournemouth, but cannot compete with them financially.

The future is more important than the past. We’ll never match the success a club like Huddersfield have achieved. Doesn’t mean I’d ever swap places with them.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
It is rather like a cult. But then it is only football, not real life.

As long as he doesn't make us all drink cyanide laced rum, like in Jonestown, I'll be happy!

Being serious, he won't stick around much longer, even if he doesn't leave for Barca. Maybe this is the peak and it is all downhill from here. But it has been fun while it lasted, let me tell you. And he will receive a hero's welcome in Leeds however this turns out. For the rest of his life.

He plays football as it should be played. It is a thing of beauty to behold. You are all football fans yourselves, I am surprised our great affection for him and for that should surprise and even perhaps repel you? Does it? And if so why?

Is it just a hatred of Leeds as a club? Or a dislike and envy of the pleasure felt by others? How does the fact that we are so happy with Bielsa Ball, diminish Albion and the joy it (sometimes) gives you?

It was Kool-Aid (or a generic equivalent) - Drinking the Kool-Aid

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

" -

THIS. Don’t let the Leeds fan side track you.

[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020

Do Guardiola and Pochettino talk about the influence Chris Hughton has had on their football philosophy?

Does the world's (formerly?) greatest player ask for Chris Hughton to be head hunted to manage Barca?

Serious questions? What's the answer old son? Would that be a no?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here