Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Deluded Leeds (an EFL club) fans

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Genuinely interested to see how Leeds get on next season. Bielsa is hugely admired by so many top coaches, it is not media hype at all. Most of them had never heard of him until recently like the rest of us.
Character or mad as a bucket of frogs? Make your own mind up but it will be interesting, that’s for sure.

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020
Sounds more like a personality cult than a football club. You will have to hope that he is the messiah you all believe in and not just a naughty boy...

It is rather like a cult. But then it is only football, not real life.

As long as he doesn't make us all drink cyanide laced rum, like in Jonestown, I'll be happy!

Being serious, he won't stick around much longer, even if he doesn't leave for Barca. Maybe this is the peak and it is all downhill from here. But it has been fun while it lasted, let me tell you. And he will receive a hero's welcome in Leeds however this turns out. For the rest of his life.

He plays football as it should be played. It is a thing of beauty to behold. You are all football fans yourselves, I am surprised our great affection for him and for that should surprise and even perhaps repel you? Does it? And if so why?

Is it just a hatred of Leeds as a club? Or a dislike and envy of the pleasure felt by others? How does the fact that we are so happy with Bielsa Ball, diminish Albion and the joy it (sometimes) gives you?

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
As far as I'm aware (and please do correct me if I'm wrong), Leeds have never had their ground sold out from under their feet by their own board, been 28 minutes away from relegation from the FL and probable extinction, had to spend two seasons playing "home" games 70 miles from Leeds and then, when they finally did get back, spent 11 years playing in a converted athletics stadium where only one stand had a roof.

I'm sorry, but you really have no more chance of "getting it" than a Man United fan does if you think you've suffered by not being in the Prem for 16 years.

Very much this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick

As long as he doesn't make us all drink cyanide laced rum, like in Jonestown, I'll be happy!

Being serious, he won't stick around much longer, even if he doesn't leave for Barca. Maybe this is the peak and it is all downhill from here. But it has been fun while it lasted, let me tell you. And he will receive a hero's welcome in Leeds however this turns out. For the rest of his life.

He plays football as it should be played. It is a thing of beauty to behold. You are all football fans yourselves, I am surprised our great affection for him and for that should surprise and even perhaps repel you? Does it? And if so why?

Is it just a hatred of Leeds as a club? Or a dislike and envy of the pleasure felt by others? How does the fact that we are so happy with Bielsa Ball, diminish Albion and the joy it (sometimes) gives you?

I think fans of other clubs are envious of our incredible journey, I would be. Our club is the quintessential roller coaster ride. The ups and downs have been unbelievable, the downs have been much, much worse than anything you’ve ever had to deal with, which makes ours high even better.

Just because you did well in The Championship doesn’t mean you are going to storm the Premier League, to think otherwise is insane. We destroyed The Championship, you know. We finished 15th the following season.

I really wouldn’t be surprised if you finished below us. According to your fans, that would be a massive disappointment...somehow.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Your devotion to Bielsa doesn’t irritate Albion fans. We are just reserving judgement until his managerial skills are tested in the PL. Leeds fans come across as having a religious type belief in Bielsa and very little regard for the views of other clubs’ fans who have been through it before. We also had an all conquering Championship team that would regularly play other teams off the park (including yours). We then encountered the realities of the PL and have been slowly building to the next level. You and other Leeds fans have zero basis for your belief that this season’s successes and style of play can be replicated in the PL. At this stage it is all just bluster so we are hardly likely to buy into it. Your club, manager and players do not repel us. This thread is about deluded fans, which is different.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

For someone that writes well, you seem to struggle with reading. No one has any issue with Bielsa. I was a fan of his way before he stepped foot in Yorkshire. This thread is dedicated to the vocal, deluded members of your fanbase.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

It maybe a thing of beauty, we witnessed similar under Poyet and even Hughton when we gained promotion. Reality is you can't play with freedom like that in the PL unless you have the very best players. He may have a reputation with other coaches but also has a reputation of disappearing. We'll see what happens.

Years of watching Sussex play cricket I'm reminded of Barclay, our then captain, always played the game in the right manner, pleasing on the eye, made a game of it most times, we lost.....often.

There's no repelling from me of Bielsa but one of intrigue to why this "great man" hasn't achieved so much more.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Is it true that Leeds’ longest spell in the top division is 18 years, and their longest spell outside of the top division is 16 years? If true you really can see why they ‘belong’ in the Premier League. They’ve spent less seasons in the Premier League than Bolton and only 1 more season than Palace. The hierarchy has changed, well done for getting back to the top but perspective is needed, Leeds aren’t dining at the top table.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Still scratching my head until September over which is the bigger club, Villa or Leeds?

tenor (2).gif

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Is it true that Leeds’ longest spell in the top division is 18 years, and their longest spell outside of the top division is 16 years? If true you really can see why they ‘belong’ in the Premier League. They’ve spent less seasons in the Premier League than Bolton and only 1 more season than Palace. The hierarchy has changed, well done for getting back to the top but perspective is needed, Leeds aren’t dining at the top table.

Coventry spent 33 years in a row in the top flight, I don’t see anyone ******* themselves off over them.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I was quite enjoying reading your posts. Up until this one.

So Leeds are huge in Argentina now. Where will the legend end? If only I could "get it".

All Leeds matches have been shown live in Argentina and they even televised whatever non Leeds match it was that confirmed their promotion. So sadly while perhaps not huge it is certainly significant

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011

Leeds fans are going through what most fans go through when they storm the Championship and get promoted. Some of us went through it too. The naive expectation that the next season in the PL will go the same way this one has. It really doesn't work like that. You might do well. You might struggle. Leeds fans wouldn't bother me so much if you said that you "hoped" to do well. Even that you "expect" to do well is forgivable. But all I hear is that you "will" do well, there is no question about it, and other clubs are sh*t while LUFC is glorious. It's a bit embarassing, it's very very arrogant, and it's one of the reasons Leeds/fans aren't very popular.

Thankfully, if there is one thing the PL teaches EVERY* club and their fans, it's humility.

*Except Arsenal.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Having done some nerdy number crunching, I calculate the Leeds United's average position in the last 50 years is 19th in the top flight. I think some sober judgement is needed there. They would be behind, say, Southampton. Take out the Revie years. and go for the last 40 only, they then become a Championship club (16 seasons Div 1, 21 seasons Div 2, 3 seasons Div 3).

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Go for it. Sheffield United got 54 points, and we were much better than them in the season they went up. I haven't followed them closely, so don't know how different they are now, mind.

And Bielsa HAS won things. he made his old club, Newell's, small by Argentine standards, and overshadowed even in their own City, Rosario by Central, National Champions. But he never joined a mega club, where he certainly WOULD have run things. He turned down Boca Juniors, and (I think) will turn down Barca too, He is different. A football genius, who loves the game for itself, who doesn't judge success in terms of trophies.

Newell's fans still remember him, love him in fact, and many travelled over to England to join in the celebrations after we won the Championship. Leeds have become huge in Argentina, (a great football country by the way) with all their matches screened live on television there. Chile too.

When we won promotion there was a post on the Newell's English language twitter account asking "Do you get it yet?"

Yes we get it!! The man is a legend, and that is all there is to say. Yet that much debased term, says everything.

Genuine question re Augustin. The RB Leipzig chief executive seems to still think that Leeds are contractually obliged to buy him. What’s your take on this.

On the original Ben White issue, the media in Leeds are still saying that Leeds are in a ‘battle’ to secure him. Why do you think they are using this language when Graham Potter has clearly stated that we have no intention to sell him?

Interested in your views as you seem to be fairly balanced in your opinions.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Go for it. Sheffield United got 54 points, and we were much better than them in the season they went up. I haven't followed them closely, so don't know how different they are now, mind.

So were Norwich by five clear points ....

Sheffield United have done very well for the same reason we stayed up the first few seasons. Not earth shattering going forward but are very tight at the back. Burnley being the masters at this.
The problem that most teams have when getting promoted is that they have never really been tested at the back as they have been been bossing games. The best form of defence is attack springs to mind, unfortunately the premier isn’t the championship

The class of striker in the premier is frightening compared to the championship, it’s a whole new level. Bamford has been happily knocking them in against some very shoddy defences, something that he isn’t going to be able to do so easily next season.

IMHO, the premier has been very strong this year whereas the championship has been poor in comparison to previous seasons. The gulf is sadly getting bigger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Having done some nerdy number crunching, I calculate the Leeds United's average position in the last 50 years is 19th in the top flight. I think some sober judgement is needed there. They would be behind, say, Southampton. Take out the Revie years. and go for the last 40 only, they then become a Championship club (16 seasons Div 1, 21 seasons Div 2, 3 seasons Div 3).

What’s our average position? If going by the last 50 years, I’d guess at maybe 22nd in The Championship. If all time, then 6th in the third tier.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
What’s our average position? If going by the last 50 years, I’d guess at maybe 22nd in The Championship. If all time, then 6th in the third tier.

I make it just above the relegation zone in the Championship- near the top of league one.

We are beautifully average. Ranked around 42-48 in the last 50 years.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
The class of striker in the premier is frightening compared to the championship, it’s a whole new level.

So true, and very much illustrated in our Burnley game Sunday... not one of the big or fashionable clubs by any means. But we boss the game, they get one chance, a long pass and Woods took it down beautifully in one flowing move and stroked it calmly into the bottom corner. Literally their first shot on target.

This league is brutal. I think Villa fans have been pretty humbled this season. They genuinely thought they would storm this league, and some even suggested with their investment they could be a second level Man City. I think Leeds fans are equally in for a very rude awakening.

History shows that the promoted teams always have a fight to stay up. Sheff Utd and Wolves are a complete outlier.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
I like the phrase 'Football is Suffering', I think you're right that we should be looking at it through that prism. We Brighton fans have experienced a suffering far greater than a bad 3-0 home defeat, and in many ways it defines us, but at the same time we fought to save our club just so we could be normal football fans enjoying the highs and lows of following our football team. But as we're talking history, this is our history.

Leeds have been 16 years out of the top flight, correct? In December 1996 we were a little over 13 years on from playing in the highest league and appearing in the FA Cup Final, yet we found ourselves in 92nd place in the football pyramid, six points adrift at the foot of the league, a second successive relegation looming to send us out of the league. Our beloved century-old ground, allowed to fall into near-ruin, had been sold a year earlier and would be knocked down in the summer, with nowhere to go, no plans, no land, nothing remotely approaching a stadium design or planning permission, no money left after the debts were serviced, no owner who cared about the club, no club willing to let us groundshare.

That is suffering that most fans don't experience. But it is only part of the story, because in the 23 years since we have experienced so many occasions of joy and pleasure that definitely most fans don't experience. Those depths caused a fan unity that was amazing to be part of, replacing the despised owners with a local saviour, supporting a thrilling final run of home games culminating in lifting the team off the bottom in the last ever game at the Goldstone and securing survival a week later; the club coming back to Brighton after two years in exile, four promotions at Withdean, striving for the Amex, and then the wonderful development of every single facet of the club over the past decade leading to promotion to the premier league and returning to Wembley in the FA Cup last season. That is the Opposite of Suffering, and we are lucky to have experienced it.

So yes, football is suffering, but it is also elation. The highs are higher because of the lows. After the rain comes the sun. Imagine the sheer boredom of being an Everton fan. I well remember being at Doncaster for our 17th straight away game without victory, a 3-0 defeat of ineptitude and inevitability. You will remember similar games during Leeds recent demise that will be etched in your memory. Your experience of playing Tranmere or Southend mirrors mine of playing Macclesfield in that fateful 96-97 season - a club we had never come across in our history, just up from non-league, beating us 1-0 under the lights at Moss Rose. I felt truly dejected that night. It is the lot of football fans to support dreadful teams from time to time, but if there is any additional suffering from a sense of 'we shouldn't be here, we're Leeds' - well that is just self-inflicted. But just like us at Macclesfield, every club's fans suffer from that, doesn't matter how far down the pyramid you go, there are always teams lower than you to give you a bloody nose. You don't lose to Canvey Island and Kingstonian in the Cup without experiencing that sense of 'why us??'

We know what the football world is like outside the top flight. I think it gives us (some of us!) a sense of perspective in which to place our current fortunes and face our disappointments. It means we can observe with incredulity Newcastle despairing at their owner 'destroying' their club after they finished 11th in the premier league last year (a final position we have yet to reach in 120 years), or chuckle at Arsenal fan's sense of humiliation after they have failed to beat 'Brighton - who are dey Bruv?' for the fifth premier league game in a row. I would hope that Leeds fans will appreciate the same. But now Leeds are back, some of your fans memories of the last 16 years seem to be vanishing as wisps in the wind, which is the prism through which we are viewing these comments on Ben White.

excellent post

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here