Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Deluded Leeds (an EFL club) fans

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Premier League clubs can't loan players to other PL clubs.
They can.

Up to 2 at a time, 4 over the season.

No more than 1 from a specific club.

Players can't be bought and then loaned to another PL club within the same window.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I agree.

You won't find me arguing that Leeds belong in the First Division, more than half the time I have supported them, they have been out of it. Football is a meritocracy and a survival of the fittest.

But surely we have suffered enough to be allowed to have at least a brief moment in the sun?

Is spending some time out of the top flight 'suffering'? If so, then I have our history to entertain you with...

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I agree.

You won't find me arguing that Leeds belong in the First Division, more than half the time I have supported them, they have been out of it. Football is a meritocracy and a survival of the fittest.

But surely we have suffered enough to be allowed to have at least a brief moment in the sun?

What suffering? Perspective please, suffering ffs. That is an entitled post. Suffering eh? Poor souls. Liverpool fans will understand after their years of hurt.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I have just read more than 60 pages about the iniquities of we poor stupid saps who support Leeds and would like the right to reply, if I may?

You can't judge an entire fan base on a few internet blowhards. Most of whom sound as though they are at school. This is the internet, it means nothing.

Leeds fans know that Ben White is a Brighton player, no argument about that, we might put in an offer, but I doubt it. Why does it so irritate you that he has done so well with us? You should be pleased?

And whilst you might be annoyed that some Leeds fans don't accord Brighton the respect you feel you deserve once again it isn't everyone. I remember going to the Withdean in the Third Division in 2007, we won a dreadful match through a Kandol goal. The transformation of your club since then has been stunning. A good team, an ambitious, rich owner, a splendid (if small) stadium. A great youth system, as we can see with White.

You don't like Leeds, I get that. Few clubs do. But surely we are a breath of fresh air in the Premier League? An exciting young team, mostly British, costing little and paid a pittance. A world class manager. A fanbase which will proved a ground as passionate and noisy as any in England. In a bland landscape of identikit stadia, overpaid foreign players and bored, spoilt crowds aren't we a throwback to how top flight football used to be.

A proper football club?

As you took the trouble to reply to my one liner, I'll follow up.
This thread and the Ben White thread have been just an amusing distraction during lockdown. It isn't just a few internet blowhards, it's all manner of ex-players, pundits, local news sites and forums, Twitter of course other media. An awful lot of people who seem to have no grasp of how the loan system works, it's purpose in developing players, the quality of our club with a well run, fully funded stadium, academy, training complex and overall structure supported by pre-covid capacity crowds and owned by a committed owner/fan of concealed wealth supported by a first class executive team. I, for one, don't hate Leeds. They are just another club who have had big moments in their history many years ago. The Ben White loan which got you back in the Premier League has simply provided a few idle moments of fun. I doubt any Brighton fan has even been slightly irritated because we are too busy laughing at your fans and the media. And yes, I do go looking for it from time to time. It doesn't take long to find a 'deluded Leeds' comment online for a good chuckle.
Leeds have just had one good season in the Championship after many in the doldrums. Brighton have come a long way in the last twenty years. Both clubs will start as equals in the Premier League next season, not a Top Six club and a relegation threatened team. Next season will be fun.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
This thread and the Ben White thread have been just an amusing distraction during lockdown. It isn't just a few internet blowhards, it's all manner of ex-players, pundits, local news sites and forums, Twitter of course other media. An awful lot of people who seem to have no grasp of how the loan system works, it's purpose in developing players, the quality of our club with a well run, fully funded stadium, academy, training complex and overall structure supported by pre-covid capacity crowds and owned by a committed owner/fan of concealed wealth supported by a first class executive team. I, for one, don't hate Leeds. They are just another club who have had big moments in their history many years ago. The Ben White loan which got you back in the Premier League has simply provided a few idle moments of fun. I doubt any Brighton fan has even been slightly irritated because we are too busy laughing at your fans and the media. And yes, I do go looking for it from time to time. It doesn't take long to find a 'deluded Leeds' comment online for a good chuckle.
Leeds have just had one good season in the Championship after many in the doldrums. Brighton have come a long way in the last twenty years. Both clubs will start as equals in the Premier League next season, not a Top Six club and a relegation threatened team. Next season will be fun.

My thoughts exactly and thank you!

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester

Couldn’t have put it better myself

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

You're right about the media, I saw even the usually considered and intelligent Henry Winter join in. A Leeds fan asked him what they need to do to do well next season and his short answers included 'keep Ben White'. Like it's their choice and that easy.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
See you at the Amex next season! You might be a little surprised...

Possibly - however I think some Leeds fans should temper expectations a little. You might do Wolves or a Sheff Utd, but there's probably a better chance you won't.

Over the past few years - Fulham, Norwich, Huddersfield fans all came up crowing about how they were going to be absolutely fine continuing to play free-flowing attacking football in the Prem. They've all been dumped straight back down again. When we were in the Champ a few years back I used to think there wasn't much of a gap to the lower Prem teams nowadays, if any at all. But there really is.

A good example would be Anthony Knockaert - EFL Championship PotS in our promotion season, he was absolutely taking the piss out of teams every week - looked way too good for the Champ at times.

He's now back in the Championship as he has really struggled with the Prem.

Last edited:

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020
What suffering? Perspective please, suffering ffs. That is an entitled post. Suffering eh? Poor souls. Liverpool fans will understand after their years of hurt.

Football is suffering. To properly follow anyone is to suffer, no? Even the biggest most successful clubs, can't and don't win all the time, let alone almost every club, where nothing is EVER won except perhaps promotion every now and again.

But even by those standards, we have suffered, I put it to you. Because having once been great, and then fallen to the depths is worse, psychologically then never having been, and never expecting to. To being resigned to at the best mediocrity, and at worst... This is a nice point, I know, and I am not seeking to diss the suffering of being an Albion fan. I get it, in a way a Man U fan never can, or could because they haven't lived it and never will.

How can I explain? You could argue that two waiters, living in penury in Paris in the twenties are objectively equally miserable. But wouldn't it feel worse if one of them was a rich Russian exiled and stripped of everything by the Revolution? (And I am not saying that Leeds are in any way Tsarist aristocrats, obviously, perish the thought, just using the example to try and give colour to my argument)...

Or all those aged ladies in nineteenth century novels, who have gone down in the world and have to scratch a living working as governesses in a parvenu family that despises them and is openly contemptuous? Perhaps someone more literate than I can point them out, their names escape me.

The fans at Tranmere and Southend are hardly nouveau riche parvenus, but they were certainly openly contemptuous. "We all hate Leeds" they would chant, "You're Not Famous any More!" That we had gone down in the world was sadly obvious. Nor were we filling the back pages, or on the TV, no-one outside the division thought of us at all. But didn't the fact that they felt this need to aggrandise themselves in this way prove that actually we WERE still famous compared to them? And call me entitled if you like, maybe this demonstrates I am, but although on the day we played them on equal terms, and indeed many times they beat us, I don't believe that in wider football terms we were or are their equal. And I don't think you, if you were fair minded would disagree.

Being in the lower divisions can be a very pleasurable experience at times, don't get me wrong. This season is one of the best I have experienced in more than fifty years of following the club.
At times our football has been sublime. And there is an honesty about it that they tell me (I wouldn't know of course, as many on this thread have told me) is not present in the Premier League. I am not looking forward to all the bo11ocks in the over hyped media, there are advantages to relative obscurity. But of course it feels better to beat Barcelona in a European Cup semi final than to lose to Bristol Rovers in the rain. And the latter "suffers" by comparison to the former. And to watch your club sell its players, and ground, and training academy, to go bankrupt, and then have useless manager after useless manager playing the most dreadful football year after is to suffer. The fact that many, most, other lower league clubs have that experience as a fact of life does't make it any less painful when you are going through it.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Football is suffering. To properly follow anyone is to suffer, no? Even the biggest most successful clubs, can't and don't win all the time, let alone almost every club, where nothing is EVER won except perhaps promotion every now and again.

But even by those standards, we have suffered, I put it to you. Because having once been great, and then fallen to the depths is worse, psychologically then never having been, and never expecting to. To being resigned to at the best mediocrity, and at worst... This is a nice point, I know, and I am not seeking to diss the suffering of being an Albion fan. I get it, in a way a Man U fan never can, or could because they haven't lived it and never will.

How can I explain? You could argue that two waiters, living in penury in Paris in the twenties are objectively equally miserable. But wouldn't it feel worse if one of them was a rich Russian exiled and stripped of everything by the Revolution? (And I am not saying that Leeds are in any way Tsarist aristocrats, obviously, perish the thought, just using the example to try and give colour to my argument)...

Or all those aged ladies in nineteenth century novels, who have gone down in the world and have to scratch a living working as governesses in a parvenu family that despises them and is openly contemptuous? Perhaps someone more literate than I can point them out, their names escape me.

The fans at Tranmere and Southend are hardly nouveau riche parvenus, but they were certainly openly contemptuous. "We all hate Leeds" they would chant, "You're Not Famous any More!" That we had gone down in the world was sadly obvious. Nor were we filling the back pages, or on the TV, no-one outside the division thought of us at all. But didn't the fact that they felt this need to aggrandise themselves in this way prove that actually we WERE still famous compared to them? And call me entitled if you like, maybe this demonstrates I am, but although on the day we played them on equal terms, and indeed many times they beat us, I don't believe that in wider football terms we were or are their equal. And I don't think you, if you were fair minded would disagree.

Being in the lower divisions can be a very pleasurable experience at times, don't get me wrong. This season is one of the best I have experienced in more than fifty years of following the club.
At times our football has been sublime. And there is an honesty about it that they tell me (I wouldn't know of course, as many on this thread have told me) is not present in the Premier League. I am not looking forward to all the bo11ocks in the over hyped media, there are advantages to relative obscurity. But of course it feels better to beat Barcelona in a European Cup semi final than to lose to Bristol Rovers in the rain. And the latter "suffers" by comparison to the former. And to watch your club sell its players, and ground, and training academy, to go bankrupt, and then have useless manager after useless manager playing the most dreadful football year after is to suffer. The fact that many, most, other lower league clubs have that experience as a fact of life does't make it any less painful when you are going through it.

nah, all true in a way but no, it's not "suffering". I love the Albion, seen many shit times and also somewhat surprisingly (at Withdean particularly) plenty of glorious times. But following a football club's ups and downs is not suffering. Poor use of the word.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I get it, in a way a Man U fan never can, or could because they haven't lived it and never will.

As far as I'm aware (and please do correct me if I'm wrong), Leeds have never had their ground sold out from under their feet by their own board, been 28 minutes away from relegation from the FL and probable extinction, had to spend two seasons playing "home" games 70 miles from Leeds and then, when they finally did get back, spent 11 years playing in a converted athletics stadium where only one stand had a roof.

I'm sorry, but you really have no more chance of "getting it" than a Man United fan does if you think you've suffered by not being in the Prem for 16 years.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
But of course it feels better to beat Barcelona in a European Cup semi final than to lose to Bristol Rovers in the rain. And the latter "suffers" by comparison to the former.

But this comparison bears no resemblance to the likely upcoming reality, so isn't really relevant IMO.

A more apt comparison would be - "playing great football in the Champ, winning every week" to "being dry humped every other week by ludicrously rich clubs". Which of those "feels better"?

Not having a dig by the way, you're a very eloquent & articulate poster and I hope you continue posting here through the season.

Last edited:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

Plus don’t forget the classics, if you will.

The ‘greatest hits’ of a deluded Leeds fan’:

- Bielsa “made” Ben White the player he is
- ‘What’s he going to learn playing hoof ball at Brighton’
- Tinpot club, bad for his career to go back there
- He’ll either play for a top 6 side or Leeds. No chance Brighton
- if they rate him so much, why they sending him out on loan all the time?
- he’s only worth 15m, put a bid in for that, it’s all player power these days, he’ll put in a request to join us, he’s not worth more than that (often followed by the below without a trace of irony)
- Stay with Leeds and Bielsa, and this lad will play for England. Stay with Brighton and Potter lolz and he’s going nowhere, just fighting relegation

Have I forgotten any?

Leeds fans here, if in doubt you will find one of the above in any Ben White related news article with comments or social media post.

So yes, hence, your growing reputation.. many Leeds fans are deluded.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
As far as I'm aware (and please do correct me if I'm wrong), Leeds have never had their ground sold out from under their feet by their own board, been 28 minutes away from relegation from the FL and probable extinction, had to spend two seasons playing "home" games 70 miles from Leeds and then, when they finally did get back, spent 11 years playing in a converted athletics stadium where only one stand had a roof.

I'm sorry, but you really have no more chance of "getting it" than a Man United fan does if you think you've suffered by not being in the Prem for 16 years.

Elland Road was sold to Leeds council in 1982, whilst being given a 125 year lease.
Leeds received the ownership of Elland Road once again in 1998, when the new owners, Leeds Sporting Company agreed to pay £10 million to buy back the stadium from Leeds City Council.
It was sold again in 2006 and bought back again in 2017.

Obviously not the same scenario as us with the asset strippers in 1997.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Oh dear.... and you were doing so well. Unfortunately in this post you have shown quite a bit of disregard for the experiences of other clubs‘ fans and the usual Leeds sense of entitlement. Supporting a rubbish football team is not and never will be suffering.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Leeds fans are doing a Villa thought they would stroll into the top ten in their first season, look how that worked out for them.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Oh dear.... and you were doing so well. Unfortunately in this post you have shown quite a bit of disregard for the experiences of other clubs‘ fans and the usual Leeds sense of entitlement. Supporting a rubbish football team is not and never will be suffering.

Spot on.
We’ve had our ups and downs, teams good and bad, but through it all it’s been OUR team. A disappointment sometimes, yes, but I have never thought I had been suffering from it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here