Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Deluded Leeds (an EFL club) fans

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I agree.

You won't find me arguing that Leeds belong in the First Division, more than half the time I have supported them, they have been out of it. Football is a meritocracy and a survival of the fittest.

But surely we have suffered enough to be allowed to have at least a brief moment in the sun?

Sun? In Yorkshire? Nonsense.

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020
I've been to Elland Road about seven times. The first 3/4 times were very unpleasant with very aggressive stewarding and generally an unwelcoming feeling.
Then in 2014 (best guess for year) I went and could see that there had been a really significant effort to make the away fan more welcome. It was a refreshing change.
Re Ben White, I think what has irritated some Brighton fans ( including myself) is the the way that the Ben White loan has turned into a bit of a shitstorm with a number of Leeds fans insulting our club by saying that White would never want to return to Brighton when he has the option of staying at Leeds. The very strong fan opinions has led the Director of Football at Leeds to state that there will be discussions about White. I can see that he's under pressure from Leeds fans to try to sign White but he could have chosen his words more carefully . Eg ' Ben is a Brighton player and we'd like to thank him for the contribution he has made to our promotion this season'. Perhaps then make a formal, and confidential enquiry to us as to what our asking price is for White.
I just don't think that Leeds have handled the situation very professionally.

So let me get this right. I have just read over sixty pages on this thread saying what @rseholes Leeds fans are, and what a tinpot club it is, and you are complaining of being disrespected?

It is six of one and half a dozen of the other. Meaningless noise. We think White is fantastic, and have formed an emotional bond with him because he has played in every game in a marvellous season for us, and has arguably been our best player, after Hernandez and Philips. Not to be able to keep him is intensely frustrating, that is the cause of this.

But we can't force you to loan him again (and why would you frankly?) and we can't afford him, so there's an end on it. You can sell him for the big big bucks if you want to, and haven't even had to pay his wages for the past year. I'd have thought that was a golden outcome for you, and well worth the hassle of a few tweets.

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020
Currently Elland Road is the 'stadium' palace are aspiring to be.

3 cow sheds and 1 stand - all very 'pig wearing lipstick'.

It most definitely isn't fit to grace the Premier League.

It is venerable. :D

Being serious, what exactly do you expect? We have been out of the First Divison for nearly two decades and gone bankrupt during the period. What are you expecting us to play in, the new Cowboys stadium in Arlington Texas?

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Interesting. Do the neighboring streets not need to be big enough as well to take the additional crowds etc? Wasn't this one of the big failings of the Waterhall site, that the roads were not capable of carrying the load.

Much though I love the Amex, I still think Waterhall was the better location!

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Can't stand Leeds since being terrorised by them in the East Stand at the Goldstone, as a young teenager in 88 (?) Worst away following I've ever come across. So of course since then always love to see them lose and struggle. All part of the panto of football!

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020
It is a low bar. After Bates and Massimo Cellini anyone looks good frankly. But he new owner has been transformational.

Radrizanni met Kenny Dagleish at a Champions League game in Paris and said he was minded to buy a lower tier French or Spanish club. KD said don't do that, buy Leeds, and the rest is history. Tempting Bielsa was the master stroke. And it wasn't difficult, when they met for the first time he had already watched tape of every Championship game we had played the previous season, and he wasn't remotely concerned about the money. Barely looked at the contract in fact, apparently. He bought into the project, the challenge of turning exactly the same group of players, who had just finished thirteenth into Champions within two years. Transforming a club and becoming a legend in a community.

The owner hasn't got much money by football club plaything standards and had to get help from the San Francisco 49ers who also bought in. To go forward long term we need a new owner I think. The two current investors no doubt hope to sell for a huge profit.

But Bielsa has already achieved legendary status. He is adored and loved. Will he go to Barca? I wouldn't bet on it myself. although he has already stayed longer with us than Newell's his signature club in Rosario. Another city where he has legendary status.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So let me get this right. I have just read over sixty pages on this thread saying what @rseholes Leeds fans are, and what a tinpot club it is, and you are complaining of being disrespected?

It is six of one and half a dozen of the other. Meaningless noise. We think White is fantastic, and have formed an emotional bond with him because he has played in every game in a marvellous season for us, and has arguably been our best player, after Hernandez and Philips. Not to be able to keep him is intensely frustrating, that is the cause of this.

But we can't force you to loan him again (and why would you frankly?) and we can't afford him, so there's an end on it. You can sell him for the big big bucks if you want to, and haven't even had to pay his wages for the past year. I'd have thought that was a golden outcome for you, and well worth the hassle of a few tweets.

Premier League clubs can't loan players to other PL clubs.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Leeds fans know that Ben White is a Brighton player, no argument about that, we might put in an offer, but I doubt it. Why does it so irritate you that he has done so well with us? You should be pleased?

If that’s your takeaway from this thread then you have missed the point...

Who is irritated that Ben has done well for you? No one? Certainly no one here. All Brighton fans are delighted with his progress.

What ticks most off is the sheer arrogance from a section of your fan base. That you are a bigger club, we are tinpot, that Bielsa “made BW who he is”, that we didn’t want him that’s why we’ve been loaning him out (still don’t get that one).

You said you’ve read all 60 pages of this topic. I’m not going to recap everything, but you have largely missed the point.

Again - no one is “irritated” that he’s done well for you. No idea where you’ve plucked that narrative from. Not here that’s for sure.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
It is a low bar. After Bates and Massimo Cellini anyone looks good frankly. But he new owner has been transformational.

Radrizanni met Kenny Dagleish at a Champions League game in Paris and said he was minded to buy a lower tier French or Spanish club. KD said don't do that, buy Leeds, and the rest is history. Tempting Bielsa was the master stroke. And it wasn't difficult, when they met for the first time he had already watched tape of every Championship game we had played the previous season, and he wasn't remotely concerned about the money. Barely looked at the contract in fact, apparently. He bought into the project, the challenge of turning exactly the same group of players [er, well, plus Brighton and Hove Albion academy product Ben White, of course] , who had just finished thirteenth into Champions within two years [Chris Hughton took Albion from 20th position to 3rd the next season, and then 2nd :shrug:]. Transforming a club and becoming a legend in a community.

The owner hasn't got much money by football club plaything standards and had to get help from the San Francisco 49ers who also bought in. To go forward long term we need a new owner I think. The two current investors no doubt hope to sell for a huge profit.

But Bielsa has already achieved legendary status. He is adored and loved. Will he go to Barca? I wouldn't bet on it myself. although he has already stayed longer with us than Newell's his signature club in Rosario. Another city where he has legendary status.

gruntage

Jan 14, 2008
Bristol
Premier League clubs can't loan players to other PL clubs.

That's incorrect. No rules against this. Premier league clubs cannot loan a player to another premier league club in the same window they acquired the player. That's the only rule you may be referring to.

But we would not loan out Ben White that's for certain. Especially to a rival team in our league. It makes no sense.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I agree.

You won't find me arguing that Leeds belong in the First Division, more than half the time I have supported them, they have been out of it. Football is a meritocracy and a survival of the fittest.

But surely we have suffered enough to be allowed to have at least a brief moment in the sun?

Leeds United deserve to be in the Premier League because they have reached there on merit. My feeling is that next year they will be okay as well. But a lot of that is due to my belief that Bielsa is a quality manager- although I think I would feel as though I never had my feet quite under the continuity table where he was concerned. I would worry he might wake up one day and decide he'd had enough.

Leeds are one of my 'un' clubs. I respect them as a 'proper' club in the same way as I respect Palace. They are a strong old name rather than a flat-pack of plastic proportion. I guess most of their supporters are local although I know of some, mainly older and of an influential age in the early 70s, elsewhere. They have stuck with Leeds though.

So I check myself and ask where such animosity (maybe too strong a word) comes from. I think it's the refusal of many not to accept the shifting tide of the game. The Ben White saga is an example. The God given right that some of your, perhaps younger supporters, feel they have to determine his future rather than a team like Brighton. It's almost as if we are seen as the Scrappy to their Scooby. As I tried to explain to a Leeds fan, as things stand Brighton are still the 'bigger' club. That may change, and soon, like September soon. But it is as it is. That would seem an affront to many, as indeed was Bournemouth's rise and the condescension it provoked in this forum. Fans are the same everywhere.

I always tell people on here to never forget the rock from which they were hewn when they belittle other 'smaller' clubs. I'm not sure what to say to a Leeds fan who still thinks they should be playing in Europe.

Next season Albion could be the 'smallest' club in the EPL if we base things on history. But history is just one bloody thing after another. And it's what is coming next that is all that matters.

Last edited:

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Leeds averaged 26K in the season I saw us beat you at the Withdean, with a high of the season of 38,200 against Gillingham. Maybe they had a huge away following that day, who knows? I don't think that is a bad average for a third division season. It is not as though the football was entertaining or anything...

I'm not denying that Leeds are a big club, with a bigger fanbase than us. Just pointing out that you don't 'belong' in the Premier League after so long out of it and crowds of mid 20k year after year. Not that anyone 'belongs' in the top tier anyway.

I'm looking forward to Leeds being in the Prem next year to be honest. Some good derbies like I said, it'll be intriguing to see how Bielsa gets on, and imo it's good to have a different club back in the top tier too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here