Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Deluded Leeds (an EFL club) fans

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
So hypothetical question. And it clearly is hypothetical since Leeds won't pay it in normal circumstances. But if Leeds suddenly came into some silly money via a new investor and they accepted our asking price of £40 million , are you saying that our basis for not selling would simply be because they are a potential relegation rival? We would snap their hands off!

I think one contributory factor would be the obvious negative response of our supporters to such a sale.
On the other hand a top six club offering a similar amount (quite possible) might be more positively received........

Last edited:

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
So hypothetical question. And it clearly is hypothetical since Leeds won't pay it in normal circumstances. But if Leeds suddenly came into some silly money via a new investor and they accepted our asking price of £40 million , are you saying that our basis for not selling would simply be because they are a potential relegation rival? We would snap their hands off!

£40m for an unproven CB? You'd assume we would.
We just sold a former championship player of the season for £12m and we mostly thought that was good business.

£40m would restrict their ability to strengthen elsewhere and increase our potential to buy the additional goals we need. So overall would think that it's going to strengthen us over a potential relegation rival and we'd do it.

The calculations that live in my head say:

£20m - £25m wouldn't be enough and if they (or anyone else) get him for that or less, they win
£25m - £30m would be honours even. Time will tell who's done better out of it and impossible to say now
£30m + and I'd say we've probably won.

Obviously most likely outcome is that he stays (in which case we also win). Seeing as he's contracted to us. Is a professional football player, signed to a professional football team (not some fraternity of life-long brothers-in-arms as Leeds fans seem to think), Graham Potter has said he's in his plans and Tony Bloom is Tony Bloom.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

I don't think we would.

If he's really worth £30m now and proves his worth next season, he'll be worth a lot more than £40m next summer. Bloom's pretty good at gambling.

(Also, not sure a new investor would get on board within weeks)

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham

I don't think £40m is the right price when he's being lauded as a top 6 player, id being talked about by Gareth Southgate as a potential wildcard for the Euros next season, and would improve another teams chance of being above us in the fight for relegation (a cost risk of £100m+!).

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I'd tell Leeds to make us an offer if they want. Anything less than £35m and they can f@uck off, straight away. Anything more than £35m, say we'll consider it, and then go back in 24 hours and say 'no, thanks', unless we have identified a target that will make the squad significantly stronger and the money is needed to acquire them.
All this chat about Leeds fans wanting him is ridiculous. He's our player and so the next step would be for Leeds to make us an offer if they want him. They haven't, and frankly I doubt they actually will as they know how much they'd have to pay to get him. They will need strengthening with 4/5 players and I'm assuming the available budget is limited due to the reduction in TV money. I think the market for players will be quieter this season which will favour the more established teams.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

You keep saying we have an asking price. That implies he’s for sale. What is this based on?

And no, from a business point of view £40m would not be a snap your hand off decision. He’s a young English player. They come at a premium, plus he’s a hot property being watched by a lot of top cubs. If he gets called up by England, his value could literally double.

We know that Uncle Tony is a don at business. If we sell Ben White now I would be staggered if it’s less than £40m.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
A lot of Liverpool fans now discussing White on Twitter but funnily enough, most are being realistic and saying "he'll cost too much" or "Brighton have said they wont sell" etc.

Compare and contrast with the Leeds GIMPS. :lolol:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
A lot of Liverpool fans now discussing White on Twitter but funnily enough, most are being realistic and saying "he'll cost too much" or "Brighton have said they wont sell" etc.

You forget this is LEEDS we're talking about.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016

To be fair tho LL, what have Liverpool ever won? You really can't compare Liverpool to Leeds. You're making a bloody fool of yourself.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I don't think we would.

If he's really worth £30m now and proves his worth next season, he'll be worth a lot more than £40m next summer. Bloom's pretty good at gambling.

(Also, not sure a new investor would get on board within weeks)

And of course, it's not just gambling game he's in, though that gets all the attention. He's made just as much of his fortune in property .... and that involves playing the long game

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I'd tell Leeds to make us an offer if they want. Anything less than £35m and they can f@uck off, straight away. Anything more than £35m, say we'll consider it, and then go back in 24 hours and say 'no, thanks', unless we have identified a target that will make the squad significantly stronger and the money is needed to acquire them.
All this chat about Leeds fans wanting him is ridiculous. He's our player and so the next step would be for Leeds to make us an offer if they want him. They haven't, and frankly I doubt they actually will as they know how much they'd have to pay to get him. They will need strengthening with 4/5 players and I'm assuming the available budget is limited due to the reduction in TV money. I think the market for players will be quieter this season which will favour the more established teams.

I'm with you mate, I'd be surprised if they bid. Even if they do, it might be just to convince their supporters they tried.

More than at the back, they're going to need something better than Bamford up front ... and strikers cost

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
To be fair tho LL, what have Liverpool ever won? You really can't compare Liverpool to Leeds. You're making a bloody fool of yourself.

Sorry, I'll go and have a word with myself ............... when I've stopped laughing at Leeds. Might be a while.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I've made the mistake of engaging with a couple of them and whilst some are decent and willing to have a chat, some are literal idiots. They will absolutely not countenance the fact the loans are a key part of our clubs approach to development. Whenever I (or anyone else) brings it up, you just get "Yeah mate, you keep telling yourself that" or "Whatever, as if you know anything about Ben White". It's the impenetrable belief that they know more about our club's development pathways the Brighton fans do. It'd actually be a bit embarrassing if any of them had a single drop of self-awareness.

I did enjoy that White has already started referring to Leeds as "they" rather than "we". It's almost, almost as if he knew that the loan was all planned and part of his developmental progression... Who knew eh?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
£40m for an unproven CB? You'd assume we would.
We just sold a former championship player of the season for £12m and we mostly thought that was good business.

£40m would restrict their ability to strengthen elsewhere and increase our potential to buy the additional goals we need. So overall would think that it's going to strengthen us over a potential relegation rival and we'd do it.

The calculations that live in my head say:

£20m - £25m wouldn't be enough and if they (or anyone else) get him for that or less, they win
£25m - £30m would be honours even. Time will tell who's done better out of it and impossible to say now
£30m + and I'd say we've probably won.

Obviously most likely outcome is that he stays (in which case we also win). Seeing as he's contracted to us. Is a professional football player, signed to a professional football team (not some fraternity of life-long brothers-in-arms as Leeds fans seem to think), Graham Potter has said he's in his plans and Tony Bloom is Tony Bloom.

Not according to their board. He's all Leeds now, doesn't want to come back and will simply hand in a transfer request which we'll have no choice but to agree to. No way he's going back to Brighton after seeing what Leeds are like......etc. :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here