Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Deluded Leeds (an EFL club) fans

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Why are Leeds fans are desperate to pay tens of millions on White if it was purely Bielsa that made him, and nothing to do with his natural talent and the 5 previous years he'd had as part of the BHA academy?

LS10

Nov 16, 2009
Ssssh, don't tell them that, they still think that they are.

Ben White has been a revelation for us this season!

When we sold Jansson to Brentford and replaced him with this guy, i was underwhelmed to say the very least. 9 Months later and my view is the polar opposite.

Not sure we could afford to keep him, especially if a bidding war starts. Do you think he'll get a place in your starting 11 next season? If he does i can definitely see him staying. If he doesn't, i can see him leaving.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila

When we sold Jansson to Brentford and replaced him with this guy, i was underwhelmed to say the very least. 9 Months later and my view is the polar opposite.

Not sure we could afford to keep him, especially if a bidding war starts. Do you think he'll get a place in your starting 11 next season? If he does i can definitely see him staying. If he doesn't, i can see him leaving.

The ball is in our court.
Tony Bloom holds all the cards, the only time Leeds will see him again is playing against them..

Off you trot now..

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
The sense of stature amongst the crowd at their games with Villa must be overpowering.

Willy waving of the highest degree, European Cup wins abound, but oh SO needy.

And yet, despite their massiveness and our "nothing club" tinpottery. Our record against them in The Championship was:

P 12 W 8 D 2 L 2 F 23 A 10

Unbeaten at home, with 4 wins at fortress Elland Road plus finishing above them in 5 out of six seasons before we were promoted and they weren't.

How was this all possible when they are so BIG?! :p

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Were you underwhelmed or by mid August were you thinking/writing/saying:-

"Pontus who"?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

Potter doesn't really have a set starting XI, and switches formation all the time, but the indications are White could get plenty of appearances.

LS10

Nov 16, 2009
Were you underwhelmed or by mid August were you thinking/writing/saying:-

"Pontus who"?

Exactly that.

You've got a future England international on your hands, no doubt about it. Can't believe how good he is for that age, better than Ferdinand and Woodgate at the same age.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

It’s difficult to say at the moment. If Dunk is sold then that’ll improve his chances of starting, we’re also in need of an upgrade for Stephens and Propper in midfield which could be White if he’s up to it. What we do know is that Potter wanted to sign White for Swansea when he was there and is looking forward to working with him.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Fresh from the WACCOE forum........seems to have missed the irony of commenting on this thread when posting his own thoughts.............

Ben White would be a different player at Brighton as Bielsa has made him the player he is today and Potter is no Bielsa.

He would just become another premiership lower half, relegation fighting premiership team centre half at Brighton.

Brighton are not and never will be considered as a top flight football team that could be challenging for honours or that have a great supporter base. They just exist, as a seaside town football club non entity.

I'd be extremely surprised if BW stays there after experiencing the Leeds United family. If he doesn't come to Leeds, then another club will come in for him and that could be most clubs in the premiership from Southampton to Burnley, where he would get a better footballing education than at Brighton.

I wonder who will be shorter odds in the betting world for winning anything next season, or finishing higher in the league, Brighton or Leeds? I'm not saying that we will win anything by the way, but I know who my money would be on out of the two teams to finish higher in the league and that is even without any major player investment.

I actually saw a section of one of their forum threads that someone posted on here entitled 'Deluded Leeds Fans' or something similar. All going on about Ben White and how great he is and that we have no chance of getting him. He'll be a star of the future playing for England. Maybe so, but I guarantee he won't play for England if he stays at Brighton. They just haven't a clue about the footballing world.

They do not understand that whether you love Leeds or hate Leeds, we are significantly more recognisable and respected in the football world than they are or ever will be. We are generally discussed on most top clubs forums, are they? How many premier league teams players, ex players and fans have stated, that they would prefer Leeds in the premier league than Brighton and other similar clubs.

I'd love him to stay but if he doesn't, then be assured that Bielsa will have a ready replacement. My main concern is that Bielsa stays.

Wow.

Just. Wow. The sheer arrogance dripping from that single handily justifies this topic.

I’m really going to enjoy watching this lot go down, it’s going to be a big dose of reality once they hit their first bad run. They will face a more brutal rude awakening then even the Villa fans.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Do you think he'll get a place in your starting 11 next season?

Maybe not on opening day (he may stick with Webster & Dunk, depending on if they are all still at the club and to a large part who the opposition is) but the plan was always to send him to a Championship club and aid his progress, so he can push for a starting XI spot this season.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

You can't "keep" something that isn't yours in the first place. He's a Brighton player, with 2 years on his contract. Potter has already said he can't wait to start working with him in pre-season.

If you want to buy him we appreciate the interest - and thank Leeds for their part in his development - but you'll have to join the back of the queue. :thumbsup:

He'll be fighting against Webster (Championship CB of the season last season) for a spot alongside Lewis Dunk.

LS10

Nov 16, 2009
You can't "keep" something that isn't yours in the first place. He's a Brighton player, with 2 years on his contract. Potter has already said he can't wait to start working with him in pre-season.

If you want to buy him we appreciate the interest - and thank Leeds for their part in his development - but you'll have to join the back of the queue. :thumbsup:

He'll be fighting against Webster (Championship CB of the season last season) for a spot alongside Lewis Dunk.

We're all football fans, so we can dream.

Seriously though, whatever happens to him over the next 6 weeks, i wish him nothing but the best for his career, he's done more for us than anyone ever imagined and even capped it off with a worldie in his last game

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Exactly that.

You've got a future England international on your hands, no doubt about it. Can't believe how good he is for that age, better than Ferdinand and Woodgate at the same age.

I think it's likely we will play a back three next season with White playing in it with Dunk and Webster. We have a new right back in Lamptey that has huge potential but I think he'd be better as a right wing back. Just need to fill our left wing back spot.
I can also see White playing as a holding midfielder which is a position in which we are quite weak.

White is obviously a talent but I doubt he'll start every game as a player new to the Premier League will need some breaks.

The other thing is that White has obviously looked good this season in what is a very team team at Championship level. He'll be spending more time defending in the coming season rather than coming forward from the CB position.

Leeds will move on without him. For me your biggest signing will be getting Bielsa to commit to another couple of years. I hope he does as it will be good for the Premier League.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
We're all football fans, so we can dream.

Seriously though, whatever happens to him over the next 6 weeks, i wish him nothing but the best for his career, he's done more for us than anyone ever imagined and even capped it off with a worldie in his last game

Oh absolutely, dream on...

However, I don't think even for one moment there's any confusion over what's going to "happen" to him over the next 6 weeks, any more than with any of our other contracted players. There's nothing that needs sorting.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing us play Leeds next season at the Amex, hopefully in person by then. We tend to beat you, so it should be a good day. :wink:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Exactly that.

So he's not been Bielsa'ed into a good player - he already was.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

I don't think he'll go straight into the first team, but I'm sure he'll see some action. It'll be up to him (and our other excellent CBs) to fight for their places. We've also got another young CB to come back from loan - and he's in the running for player of the season at Derby County this season.
Looks like there could be some healthy competition here next season!

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Leeds will move on without him. For me your biggest signing will be getting Bielsa to commit to another couple of years. I hope he does as it will be good for the Premier League.

Bielsa will want to stay after they qualify for the Champions League next season and then win the treble the following year. Haven't you heard?

LS10

Nov 16, 2009
I think it's likely we will play a back three next season with White playing in it with Dunk and Webster. We have a new right back in Lamptey that has huge potential but I think he'd be better as a right wing back. Just need to fill our left wing back spot.
I can also see White playing as a holding midfielder which is a position in which we are quite weak.

White is obviously a talent but I doubt he'll start every game as a player new to the Premier League will need some breaks.

The other thing is that White has obviously looked good this season in what is a very team team at Championship level. He'll be spending more time defending in the coming season rather than coming forward from the CB position.

I think he'll sign for another 12 months and then move back to Argentina to manage Newells again.

Would love him to stay forever, but he's a bit of an enigma and there's definitely no second guessing what he'll do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here