Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Deluded Leeds (an EFL club) fans

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Let's pop our little bubble here shall we.

Firstly, Leeds are a big club. Bigger than the Albion and history shows that.

Hopefully, Ben White will want to stay at the Albion and will have memories that last longer than one season at Leeds. However, if Leeds start splashing the cash and signing a few names he recognises then who can blame the young lad for wanting to be a part of that.

We asked him to go out on loan and prove himself. He has done that and more. We could be victims of that success and he might rather play for a world renown manager like Bielsa rather than an as yet to assert himself Potter.

If he goes, let's just get a bloody big fee for him.

Hopefully our recruitment team will do what's required to convince him - and his agent, who'll be looking at an immediate return - that Brighton is the place to be.

As has been said a few times, the only way this plays out is if Leeds convince Brighton to sell. Remember that they insisted that there was a loan to buy clause in the deal, which we refused and said he wouldn't be coming at all (because we knew he was good). Leeds had to back down as guess what, we held all the cards. At that time, Ben had 2 years on his contract and was just signing a 1 year extension. Fast forward one year and he has done brilliantly, Brighton still hold all the cards, but the only difference is that Ben is a lot more valuable and may well be keen to join Leeds.

How do you think this plays out? Of course there is a price that we would sell at, but seriously can't see Leeds paying that sort of money - whatever the number is. Leeds historic size and success has absolutely nothing to do with how successful they will be in this stint. Being 'big' in the past makes zero difference to the a club's chances of success. If, if they can manage to climb up the league, and have some consistent success, then perhaps those old fans will come back and they will be able to turn themselves into a top-6 commercial powerhouse. But again, that is to do with savvy club management and marketing, and not 'being big about 20 years ago'.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Let's pop our little bubble here shall we.

Firstly, Leeds are a big club. Bigger than the Albion and history shows that.

Hopefully, Ben White will want to stay at the Albion and will have memories that last longer than one season at Leeds. However, if Leeds start splashing the cash and signing a few names he recognises then who can blame the young lad for wanting to be a part of that.

We asked him to go out on loan and prove himself. He has done that and more. We could be victims of that success and he might rather play for a world renown manager like Bielsa rather than an as yet to assert himself Potter.

If he goes, let's just get a bloody big fee for him.

Hopefully our recruitment team will do what's required to convince him - and his agent, who'll be looking at an immediate return - that Brighton is the place to be.

Leeds are just another club, if they want him they can enter a bidding war with everyone else

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not only are Leeds not holding any cards but neither is White's representation.

If BW were to press the big red button, on £10k a week, The Albion can tell him to poke it and he can sit out the season. (0,01% chance of that playing out)

Imagine being one of these 'normal' people entering into negotiations with Barber and Bloom.

I almost feel sorry for them.

Last edited:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
The way Jeff Stelling was carrying on last night as Leeds got presented with the trophy, you'd have thought it was Barcelona who had been promoted to the Premier League. :tosser:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I wouldn’t say it’s shit, but it’s nowhere near bigger clubs like Sunderland and Citeh if you compare them when playing in lower leagues. Leeds have a decent support. But this self promoting ‘big club’ image is bs. Chelsea, Utd, Arsenal, Everton, even West Ham...none of them have spent 16 years outside the PL. Leeds been a yo yo club in the decades before that too. They’re more on a par with Forest, Leicester, Derby etc. Perhaps even #teams like Brighton. Their owners seem to think they should emulate us. And the generation who jumped on the band waggon in the 60s and 70s is sadly dying out. As are the heroes on the pitch as we’ve recently seen. RIP big jack, Norman Hunter etc.

I've always considered Leeds to be a similar size to Aston Villa, Man City and maybe Newcastle historically. Three of those four have been in division 3 in my lifetime, but those 3 clubs have also won the league. Newcastle never win anything but equally haven't been in division 3 in my lifetime either. I wouldn't put any of them in the biggest 4 clubs in the country, but they are all in the tier below that.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
The point all of Yorkshire and oddly yourself Hammy are missing is:-

Their isn't a single answer to the Ben White Conundrum that results in the Albion being "victims".

That's what happens when you still hold 2 years of his contract.
Oi. 90% of Yorkshire hates Leeds. It's a big place you know.... [emoji23]

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Not only are Leeds not holding any cards but neither is White's representation.

If BW were to press the big red button, on £10k a week, The Albion can tell him to poke it as well and he can sit out the season. (0,01% chance of that playing out)

Imagine being one of these 'normal' people entering into negotiations with Barber and Bloom.

I almost feel sorry for them.

All this. People are talking as if White's contract is expiring this month and that he can take his pick of offers. As things stand, he's a Brighton player for 10K a week for the next 2 seasons. Fast forward a year and the player may have a bit more leverage.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
All this. People are talking as if White's contract is expiring this month and that he can take his pick of offers. As things stand, he's a Brighton player for 10K a week for the next 2 seasons. Fast forward a year and the player may have a bit more leverage.
It's the Leeds echo chamber. One person says "he wants to stay" they all repeat it until it becomes "he's handing in a transfer request". Despite neither of these things being true or making any difference to the situation.

One person says "we've got lots of money now' it becomes "we're going to bid £50m for White". Despite this also not being true or making any difference to the situation.

Round and round they go.....

As others have said, all clubs have their share of deluded fans. I thought the Villa crew were bad enough with their top 6 beliefs before the start of this season.

But I've never seen this level of absolute feckwittery and deliberate ignorance before.

It's really funny.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Now the season has ended they need to spend £50m+ to get the Championship squad they had yesterday.

(West Brom had lots of loanees too, I think?)

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Certainly getting a load off flack for their open top bus ride

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Oi. 90% of Yorkshire hates Leeds. It's a big place you know.... [emoji23]

90% of the country hates Yorkshire though! They’re irritable ignorant loudmouths at the best of times. So uncouth!

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
90% of the country hates Yorkshire though! They’re irritable ignorant loudmouths at the best of times. So uncouth!

it's unbelievable the number of people I bump into that say "they wish they were born in yorkshire."

Honestly, they only people that bang on about how great it is are people that live there and have probably never been anywhere else!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

it's unbelievable the number of people I bump into that say "they wish they were born in yorkshire."

Honestly, they only people that bang on about how great it is are people that live there and have probably never been anywhere else!

Well I think most of Yorkshire is a lovely county (if you can call it that). It has a lot going for it. When I did a tour of Yorkshire with my wife just before the kids were born, I came away with a good impression of Leeds, Sheffield and even Hull. For every dull place like Barnsley and shithole like Rotherham, there was a Harrogate, a Beverley, or a York - all lovely.

Leeds in particular is a fabulous, vibrant city - only let down by it's football club which is a magnet for violent racist ignorant simpletons across the county. I can well see why people move up there - a better quality of life, more choice. My best mate's brother moved up there for a mixture of a good job opportunity and improved quality of life, as did HKFC's brother I believe (which is why one of their keepers is in their squad rather than ours).

It's even the right side of the Pennines, so that rain isn't the issue it is in Manchester and Liverpool.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Ain’t that the truth!

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Now the season has ended they need to spend £50m+ to get the Championship squad they had yesterday.

(West Brom had lots of loanees too, I think?)

Is the right answer. Villa never replaced the quality of on loan striker Tammy Abraham following promotion.

Not sure if it's already been mentioned but Leeds are desperate to get out of a loan to buy deal worth £18 Million for on loan flop Jean-Kevin Augustin.

### Warning this is a link to a Daily Mail report. Other media outlets report similar ###

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8540307/Leeds-face-18m-legal-battle-obligation-buy-clause-Jean-Kevin-Augustin-loan-deal.html

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here