Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Deluded Leeds (an EFL club) fans

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Maybe flawed is a bit harsh but along those lines.

He is incredibly intense, an obsessive, quirky but also very moralistic. He will not be every owner's cup of tea and if he doesn't believe in a project or he doesn't feel he is getting the right backing, he will not entertain it or just walk away.

A lot of owners would be a little bit unsure of him because he is the absolute opposite of a yes man and is likely to upset their ego's. He is also not the most 'marketable' type of manager for a Real or Barca type club and I have no doubt a lot of top players would have an issue with him as he would work them incredibly hard and they have to 'buy in' to his methods which is a lot harder with established superstars.

There is something in this 'burn out' thing towards the end of his seasons too that has been his undoing a few times and meant he's not maybe got the titles he should have and maybe prevented him taking that next step.

If you've got time, read up on his stint at Marseille as his one season there pretty much sums him up.

TBF it is the owner’s money not ego that is the important bit. I am quite happy with the infrastructure built at Brighton where Tony has final say and PB reports to Tony. No interest in Bielsa/Poyet type disruption at the club.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I don’t get how you know he has all these mates in the team that he couldn’t possibly leave?
Everyone thinks their team has the best team spirit and what else is he going to say in public - it’s not actually inconceivable he’s missing friends and family down south (I know, what a ridiculous concept for Yorkshire folk to comprehend!) but truth is he was only there for 1 season and knew it was always just that so wouldn’t go public with anything other than saying how much he is enjoying it there -it’s what every successful loan player does at every loan club (before returning back home)

I spent 15 years in the navy, back then you would join a ship for up to 3 years. While on a ship, your mess mates were your best friends, you’d go ashore together, work together, live in the same small, cramped space together. You would literally, fight for each other, you were often closer than brothers. When you left a ship, you said goodbye, and quite often would never see or speak to those mates again. I reckon time a certain extent it’s the same with any young men in occupations where there’s a good chance you’ll only spend a relatively short to in one place.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
As 'Headliner' states you have to be part of it. I have a mate who is a Leeds supporter and he is certainly not deluded. He gets that Ben white is not theirs but feels that they have developed White. I get that and that is the loan system for you. Big following, yes. Big club, yes. Passionate fans, oh yes. Probably the noisiest bunch ever to grace the Amex. Higher than average deluded fans, undoubtedly yes but not all. Every club has em, even us. So, in my humble opinion Leeds should survive, not sure they will be a Sheffield United but won't be a Villa or Fulham. The trick is to buy wisely and add some decent loan signings in.

Regrettably for them Ben White is ours and he might be gracing Elland Road as an Albion player.

Last time at the Amex they weren’t very loud in the second half.

Mind you, we were 4-0 up by then and,quite a few had gone home.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
As 'Headliner' states you have to be part of it. I have a mate who is a Leeds supporter and he is certainly not deluded. He gets that Ben white is not theirs but feels that they have developed White. I get that and that is the loan system for you. Big following, yes. Big club, yes. Passionate fans, oh yes. Probably the noisiest bunch ever to grace the Amex. Higher than average deluded fans, undoubtedly yes but not all. Every club has em, even us. So, in my humble opinion Leeds should survive, not sure they will be a Sheffield United but won't be a Villa or Fulham. The trick is to buy wisely and add some decent loan signings in.

Regrettably for them Ben White is ours and he might be gracing Elland Road as an Albion player.

Wife is from Leeds and is a part time Leeds fan. She says that the behaviour of some of the teenagers on twitter etc is doing them no favours in terms of their reputation as one of the most arrogant and self righteous fan groups in Global Football.

Not often I agree with her.

Agree with both posts. I’d rather not see the moronic comments on social media tbh as it’s plain stupidity & ignorance. I don’t think it’s just the teenagers though - there is without question a lot of Leeds fans of all ages who are so opinionated and arrogant it’s unbearable. They let the few normal ones down for sure. And yes, they have been the loudest at the Amex without doubt for me several time’s, just to give my post balance - but I don’t like them. I remember the story of the **** bounding our the away end screaming and hitting an unexpecting Albion fan in the face whilst he was walking holding his kids hand. This is why nobody likes Leeds.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
You got the jester hats ready for your 2 cup finals next year against the Mighty Leeds??

Being one of the resident stattos, I'll give you the record between the clubs in the last ten years:

Played 13:

Brighton WIN: 8
Draw: 3
Leeds United WIN: 2

Still, it is always an honour to play the Champions of Europe.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Agree with this assessment. These internet idiots do not represent the Leeds fan base. Last time we went up there we enjoyed a nice chat outside the ground with an older couple who had met whilst at Sussex Uni then moved back up North. They were knowledgeable and not deluded. I wouldn’t even attempt to speak with the minority of know nothing morons that attach themselves to the club.

Same, never had any problems with Leeds fans when I've been up there, and shared some good natured banter etc with many. they always create an impressive racket down here compared to average as well (although more limited range of songs compared to a lot of teams - including us)

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
i would call him complicated rather than flawed.

he has had many offer from clubs but is never interested for reasons like not liking the president of the club, not thinking the training ground is ok, not thinking the city is right for him and then other side when he is maybe keen the club don't want 'his' way and wanr him to compromise, and it is a particular way and not everyone is cut out for it.

i think he is a bit weird. i think his way works if you have players (and a board, owner) who will acquiesce to it and if they can't he walks or causes the opposer to leave (jansson). some say that is a positive, to be so single minded it is your way or not at all. for me i think otherwise. Bilbao played some of the best football i have seen under him, and i have watched him in 2 years turn our shithouse team into one that can actually play ball and win. and he didn't really change much, the core of our team are the same men who played like donkeys under heckingbottom and while they were poorly coached then and it wouldn't have taken much to shape them up, a lot of of praise has to go to bielsa's regime for turning donkeys into footballers.

anyway, it's a game of opinions. I'd like him to say "cheers, i have done what you asked of me" and leave on a high rather than on a cold december night after a dull 1-0 at burnley when things are gloomy.

Sounds like Gus!!

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
[tweet]https://twitter.com/sub2stormy/status/1285629058781511680[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/guysley/status/1285276039325917185[/tweet]

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Did I see a "Leeds United - the best Championship side ever?" headline somewhere?! Lolz

Edit: Looks like podcast from The Game. Must have been an advert for it.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Why is it an odd number? Did we play them in the cup? (if we did, I have no memory of it)

One of the 2009/10 season matches was before the new year. I've done since 2010.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
i would call him complicated rather than flawed.

he has had many offer from clubs but is never interested for reasons like not liking the president of the club, not thinking the training ground is ok, not thinking the city is right for him and then other side when he is maybe keen the club don't want 'his' way and wanr him to compromise, and it is a particular way and not everyone is cut out for it.

i think he is a bit weird. i think his way works if you have players (and a board, owner) who will acquiesce to it and if they can't he walks or causes the opposer to leave (jansson). some say that is a positive, to be so single minded it is your way or not at all. for me i think otherwise. Bilbao played some of the best football i have seen under him, and i have watched him in 2 years turn our shithouse team into one that can actually play ball and win. and he didn't really change much, the core of our team are the same men who played like donkeys under heckingbottom and while they were poorly coached then and it wouldn't have taken much to shape them up, a lot of of praise has to go to bielsa's regime for turning donkeys into footballers.

anyway, it's a game of opinions. I'd like him to say "cheers, i have done what you asked of me" and leave on a high rather than on a cold december night after a dull 1-0 at burnley when things are gloomy.

Many good points, and the key one perhaps is that everyone - players, owners, the lot - needs to be fully committed to the Bielsa project if it's going to work to maximum effect. Bilbao only recruit Basque players - they are, in effect, signed up from birth. If you go there, there's flags, banners and scarves hanging out of windows all over the place, every day of the year. It's all-consuming. Bielsa was the ideal manager to tap into that, and probably ideal for Leeds too at this time given their all-consuming desperation to get back to the top tier. Whether his approach will work quite so well when they start adding a few big egos to the squad - as they will feel obliged to do - is what remains to be seen.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
That Bilbao team was incredible. Genuinely some of the best football I've ever seen. They dismantled United in Europe back when that was hard to do.
Yup, remember that performance at Old Trafford well - Llorente, Muniain and co. A certain David Lopez was on the bench that day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here