Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Deluded Leeds (an EFL club) fans

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
However, as someone who spent half a decade living in Sheffield, I don't recognise your description of the Yorkshire Evening Post at all. Wouldn't wrap chips in it.

It was better than the Bradford T&A that I also read and it was better than the Argus.

It looked like a proper newspaper not just a local one (this was back in the 70s). I only look at it occasionally now but the website still has interesting stories.

I was also impressed when the editor looked to appoint a new football writer last year and said he was only considering applications from female writers. The editor, who was new, said that he'd inherited a sports department of 25 journalists, all male, and wanted to change that. I thought that was a bold move and a sign of a progressive editor.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I think Naylor's equivalent is the guy that writes about Leeds for The Athletic.

Brian Owen's equivalent would be the Yorkshire Evening Post.

Almost an exact equivalent. Phil Hay was the Post's Leeds United man until he went to The Athletic. The difference is that his readership probably dropped by about 90 percent while Andy's only halved.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The Yorkshire Post is an excellent paper - one that I used to read regularly when I lived up there and I still look at.

The link that was posted was from a site called Leeds Live, which is a new one to me. It could be a freebie site, in which case the writer is not their equivalent of Naylor but their equivalent of HB&B,

I used to live up there as well (1970s) and was a paperboy. The overwhelming majority of houses on my round had the Yorkshire Post delivered, some with other papers as well but many not. I seem to remember it was difficult to put through letter boxes ! No idea whether that very small sample popularity poll would have the same results today.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
In amongst all this deluded Leeds talk, is anyone else a little concerned about how we are going to keep so many quality CBs happy next season? Surely we will be moving at least two on?

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020
Post hoc logical fallacy[/B]
Just something to pamper the pseudo-intellectual in you: see post 1907 in the Ben White thread: “Bielsa … what a load of cock”.

Or just **** off.

I could do that of course, or I could refute your point.

I am certainly a pseudo intellectual (as are you, if I may say) but even I, pretentiously stupid though I undoubtedly am, know that what I said, re White, is not the post hoc ergo propter hoc logical fallacy.

It is a text book example, of post hoc propter hoc. Your mistake is in the ergo.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Not necessarily. That implies that Brighton have the better defence but may not have the best team. It's the as-long-as-we-score-more-goals-than-you approach - that one that has served Eddie Howe so well.

... oh

With Patrick Bamford in attack.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
In amongst all this deluded Leeds talk, is anyone else a little concerned about how we are going to keep so many quality CBs happy next season? Surely we will be moving at least two on?

I'm convinced our penchant for CB's is some kind of ‘Moneyball’ algorithm that no one else has picked up on.

I reckon in terms of investment, CB’s represent the most consistent return.

CB’s tend to command lower transfer fee than goal scoring players. So you can pick up good young CB’s for a fair price and either develop them in your first team or send them out on loan to develop, but ultimately sell them on and probably at least double your money on them. I think it’s much easier to do than any other position. Apart from the resale value you also get to pick the cream of the crop for your first team.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
What they took from Tony Bloom article is that we are skint so will have to off load Ben White to them cheaply.... apparently

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Yep fully expect Duffy to go now. Clarke or White will come fight for places in the first team definitely not both. Ideally I would like Dunk, Webster, Veltman, Burn and White as our centre back options.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Yep fully expect Duffy to go now. Clarke or White will come fight for places in the first team definitely not both. Ideally I would like Dunk, Webster, Veltman, Burn and White as our centre back options.

Another year on the road for Clarke maybe? Duffy or possibly Dunk to move on. Veltman, White and Dunk/Duffy to form the core back 3 with various rotation options.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
I'm convinced our penchant for CB's is some kind of ‘Moneyball’ algorithm that no one else has picked up on.

CB’s tend to command lower transfer fee than goal scoring players. So you can pick up good young CB’s for a fair price and either develop them in your first team or send them out on loan to develop, but ultimately sell them on and probably at least double your money on them. I think it’s much easier to do than any other position. Apart from the resale value you also get to pick the cream of the crop for your first team.
This.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

So true, a good CB will shine, even in a terrible team.

Much harder to spot a good striker in a poor one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here