Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Deluded Leeds (an EFL club) fans

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020
Is he, really?

I don't follow South American (or continental European) football, so I know nothing of the bloke. However, I did read this article in The Athletic the other day - ‘A football revolution’ – Bielsa is making Leeds compulsive viewing in Argentina

Based upon this paragraph, I'm not sure I would agree that Bielsa "is a legend in Argentina":-

I'm sure he has "something about him"; we had a bit of a rollercoaster ride fairly recently with a manager who had "something about him" (Gus Poyet), but I certainly wouldn't swap Potter for Poyet at this juncture.

That is an interesting article, which I had thought of posting myself, but because of my (not unexpected) unpopularity here, decided against. It is more likely to be read if you post it than me, and it is well worth the time if you are interested in football outside our shores.

I hear what you are saying. I suppose it turns on how one defines the word legend? I just did a quick web search and came up with this definition:

"An extremely famous or notorious person, especially in a particular field."

If we accept that definition it seems to me that Bielsa qualifies?

Look at the impact he is having here whilst managing an insignificant little club like Leeds. The media have loved it. You guys can't get enough of Bielsa's Leeds on this thread.

Imagine how much more famous (or notorious) he is in Argentina having won the title and managed the National side.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
That is an interesting article, which I had thought of posting myself, but because of my (not unexpected) unpopularity here, decided against. It is more likely to be read if you post it than me, and it is well worth the time if you are interested in football outside our shores.

I hear what you are saying. I suppose it turns on how one defines the word legend? I just did a quick web search and came up with this definition:

Look at the impact he is having here whilst managing an insignificant little club like Leeds. The media have loved it. You guys can't get enough of Bielsa's Leeds on this thread.

Imagine how much more famous (or notorious) he is in Argentina having won the title and managed the National side.

Notorious or nefarious? It seems people react in equal measure

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Congratulations, you continue to troll brilliantly. But Bielsa extremely famous? Barely anybody outside of Argentina and his club's home towns had heard of him before he rocked up at Leeds.

It's not Bielsa's Leeds on this thread, it's the comedy value from their muppet fans!

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020
Notorious or nefarious? It seems people react in equal measure

I don't think he has a reputation for being nefarious? He is actually rather principled, look at the infamous decision to give Villa that goal which could have cost us promotion. Madness!

Spygate was a difference in cultures, he was mortified to be accused of cheating, and paid the fine out of his own pocket. I doubt that would be regarded as nefarious in Argentina, look at the "hand of God" goal!

But I agree he is divisive. Either loved or despised.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
It is a clusterfcuck.

Personally I think we are on the hook for the twenty mill, but I have no idea what the legal advice is that we are acting upon, and what the contract actually says. So what do I know?

Nor does any social media source I have seen.

We may be entering into litigation in the hope of cutting a compromise deal. That is the best once can hope for. But if the other party has a rock solid contract, why would they settle out of court?

I must admit that following Leeds' aggressive and classless pursuit of Ben White I've moved from feeling indifferent about Leeds United to now hoping that they struggle and get relegated.

I've a couple of good friends who are Leeds supporters, they can be very patronising about Brighton's carefully planned journey towards sustainability. They seem to overlook how the club over several years have sown the seeds to harvest players like White, Clarke, Molumby, Ostigaard and Walton.

From the outside the Augustin saga also looks to me like a clusterfcuck which I'm now feeling quite pleased about, which I guess is a classical case of schadenfreude on my part.
Rivalries aside, I cannot understand how the current bookies odds indicate that they feel that Leeds will finish above Brighton this coming season. Perhaps it's my blue tinted glasses that are failing to allow me to view things objectively.
But which ever way I look at it I can't see how anyone could view Leeds as being more successful than Brighton this season.

I found this Yorkshire Post article which hopefully is correct and that Leeds have to fork out the £20 million they owe:

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-united/dumping-ps20m-rated-jean-kevin-augustin-may-prove-very-costly-leeds-united-2939547

The loan came with a £20m obligation to buy if Leeds were promoted.
Whatever their misgivings, the Whites would do well to take their obligation seriously if RB Leipzig try to hold them to it.

In 2015 a Premier League club tried to wriggle out of their obligation to buy a loanee they had gone cold on, and ended up paying around twice as much as they were supposed to.

In 2014-15, Sunderland took winger Ricardo Alvarez from Inter Milan on a season-long loan, with an agreement to make the deal permanent for €10.5m if they avoided relegation.

They did, but had misgivings about the condition of the Argentinian’s knees.
With neither Inter nor Sunderland wanting him back, Alvarez was eventually made a free agent, allowed to join Sampdoria while the clubs haggled, and the Black Cats ended up paying the full amount and almost as much again for the player to pursue his career elsewhere.

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020
Congratulations, you continue to troll brilliantly. But Bielsa extremely famous? Barely anybody outside of Argentina and his club's home towns had heard of him before he rocked up at Leeds.

You do know that he has managed at the highest level in France, Spain and Italy, right?

Admittedly not for long in Rome, but his short time there was hardly inconspicuous!

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
You guys can't get enough of Bielsa's Leeds on this thread.

Continuing the f*cking deluded theme there!

I think I speak for 99% of the Brighton fans who have replied or even read this thread when I say, we couldn't care less about your "legendary" manager.

We have read and replied to challenge the utter bullsh*t being spouted by you and yours about how you are going to storm this division and how Ben is being held hostage.

If you can't actually see that then you are both deluded and brainless.

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020
Continuing the f*cking deluded theme there!

I think I speak for 99% of the Brighton fans who have replied or even read this thread when I say, we couldn't care less about your "legendary" manager.

If 99% of respondents couldn't care less about Marcelo, why have so many expressed the hope that he doesn't sign his contract?

Be honest, you are hoping he won't too!

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
If 99% of respondents couldn't care less about Marcelo, why have so many expressed the hope that he doesn't sign his contract?

Because it will be the start of your very slippery ride back to the national league where you belong!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Nathan Jones, our ex player, coach, and temporary manager, was managing Luton Town when they played Leeds with the legendary Bielsa as manager. Luton drew with them 1-1, and were disappointed they didn’t get the win.

Levels.

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
On a serious note, does anyone know if Leeds Utd is being run well?
(I'm not trolling)

I thought they were definitely on a good path before all this Ben White stuff.

Then I got thinking a lot of decisions seem to be very short term.
A lot of loans.
A manager who can't commit to more than a 1yr contract.
Doesn't strike me as very stable.

I was trying to think if Bloom, Barber, Ashworth would have made similar decisions if they were at Leeds?
I don't know the full story there.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

I really couldn't care less. Your 'high press' game will be undone about 3 matches into the season when you face your first big team who turn you over by 4 or more goals.

This will happen regardless of who you have in charge.

In happens every season... Some deluded club comes up thinking they can play the same as they did in the Championship and then get torn apart. Another comes up, splashing the cash and also come unstuck and the third play canny tactics, keeping a solid core of their promotion squad with a few smart additions and play a cautious, sensible game that keeps them up and they try to push on from there.

You are resolutely in the first category and it will be hilarious watching you get slaughtered by all the clubs who have worked out how to turn you over. Take a look at the social media of Norwich fans this time last year.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You do know that he has managed at the highest level in France, Spain and Italy, right?

Admittedly not for long in Rome, but his short time there was hardly inconspicuous!

Well, I for one, am looking forward to seeing how the most overhyped manager I can recall gets on with, what is at the moment, a Championship squad stripped of their star player this season. They also have a fanbase who are so deluded and out of touch with PL football that they can’t even consider that they might struggle this season! BRING IT ON

Assuming you start the season with the same manager too.

FWIW I think that I am as excited about seeing how Leeds get on this season as you are :lolol:

Last edited:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
If Bielsa is such a genius, why did they have an identical record last season as we had in our promotion season ?

And, to prove how much weaker the Championship was last season, they won by 10 points, we came second with with exactly the same points.

Albion season 2016/17. pl 46. W 28. D9. L 9

Manchester United’s feeder club, season 2019/20 PL 46. W28. D9. L 9.

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020
Nathan Jones, our ex player, coach, and temporary manager, was managing Luton Town when they played Leeds with the legendary Bielsa as manager. Luton drew with them 1-1, and were disappointed they didn’t get the win.

Levels.

It was a terrible performance, I am not going to lie. We were truly dreadful, woeful, considering how poor Luton are and the importance of the match. I think they lost 5-0 in their next game too to rub salt in the wound!

But they scored a breakaway goal (it happens) and to say they were justified in being disappointed not to win is absurd.

We had 75% possession and 23 shots on goal to their 3.

I was devastated after the match, thought we might have blown it, but looking back it made no difference at all...

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

I would think the majority of 99% would like him to walk, for amusement value alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
I really couldn't care less. Your 'high press' game will be undone about 3 matches into the season when you face your first big team who turn you over by 4 or more goals.

This will happen regardless of who you have in charge.

In happens every season... Some deluded club comes up thinking they can play the same as they did in the Championship and then get torn apart. Another comes up, splashing the cash and also come unstuck and the third play canny tactics, keeping a solid core of their promotion squad with a few smart additions and play a cautious, sensible game that keeps them up and they try to push on from there.

You are resolutely in the first category and it will be hilarious watching you get slaughtered by all the clubs who have worked out how to turn you over. Take a look at the social media of Norwich fans this time last year.

Good old Villa.

Their fans on twitter wanted Dunk and thought he'd leave at the drop of a hat to join a club with such an "illustrious history".

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
It was a terrible performance, I am not going to lie. We were truly dreadful, woeful, considering how poor Luton are and the importance of the match. I think they lost 5-0 in their next game too to rub salt in the wound!

But they scored a breakaway goal (it happens) and to say they were justified in being disappointed not to win is absurd.

We had 75% possession and 23 shots on goal to their 3.

I was devastated after the match, thought we might have blown it, but looking back it made no difference at all...

I think they were more disappointed cos you scored quite late.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here