Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Deluded Leeds (an EFL club) fans

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Proper club is the same argument Palace try and use - usually means they're the antithesis of a modern 21st century club, still banging around in a shit hole old dump and claiming that as 'proper'.

And to add a little social behaviour study to it, keep people in a shite hole (Bellend Rd) they act like shites.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
You can have a bunch of civilised, quinoa eating, politically correct, reasonable, middle class fans, and zero atmosphere, or you can have a drunken, lower working class, aggressive, unwoke screaming mob that create an intimidating yet cracking atmosphere.

What you can't have is both. :D

I am joking, the reputation of Leeds fans is undeserved, it is not like it used to be in the seventies, but it is perhaps more like it used to be at Leeds than just about anywhere else, (excepting Millwall of course).

Maybe the Premier League if we stay there a while will prettify us, but I have my doubts...

We are a gritty working class club, always have been, always will be. You may not like us, in fact you clearly don't, and you may laugh at us, but as I said in my first post, for all the mockery (which in the case of the hysteria over White is not undeserved, to be fair), we are a proper club, with character and identity.

What absolute biscuits you talk. Of course Brighton's fanbase is diverse, but your more successful neighbours in blue and white stripes can testify from their play off visit to us that fans from all classes can come together to create an intimidating atmosphere when something matters to them. Our strength has been our diversity. When our club was on the brink, we had geezers who would invade the pitch and break the crossbars to get national attention, we also had middle aged women. members of the Lib Dems who were willing to picket their own party's conference. We also had accountants with the expertise to trawl through the club's articles and raise the owner's dodgy dealings with the FA. We had punk poets who would take protests hundreds of miles away to the owner's home. We had transport experts with the expertise needed to support the club's planning applications. We had thousands of people from all walks of life that came together to do whatever they could for the club.

But, here's the thing: You Do Too! Leeds is a modern vibrant city with all kinds of people living in it. Your support is not made up from only the ex miners and cotton factory workers. Your support is just as diverse as ours. It's just that we see it as something to be celebrated and, for some reason, you seem to like to pretend that it's not the case.

You're not a gritty working class club, you're a multi million pound business owned by a global investment company. You have some gritty working class supporters, but then so does every club in the country. Growing up myself, I was so gritty and working class that my comprehensive school didn't even teach Latin! Imagine the deprivation.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
And yet never felt the need to register or post, even once, in all that time. Not when Maty signed, nor when he endured a shaky start, nor when he came into great form, nor when he was being linked to Manchester United, nor when he was being criticised post lockdown, nor even when he pulled off one of the best saves any Albion keeper has ever made, three weeks ago? Nor when Mooy signed on loan, nor when he played well, nor when he played utter shit, nor when he scored a crucial goal at Christmas, nor when he signed permanently?

No, not until August 2020, did you feel the need, as a big fan of Mat Ryan and Aaron Mooy, that you finally needed to register and post, so you could share with us, your views on how good Leeds United are.

Okay mate.

Nor felt the need to comment when the Aussies retained the Ashes. Whoever heard of an Aussie keeping quiet about cricket?

Nor commented on the long thread about the bush fires

Nor commented on the Aussie general election thread

Nor commented on the threads on the Australian league

But when it's a thread about Leeds ....

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I thought I'd leave it there with fact 2, as the bit about Ben making the PL match day squad once is correct. Obviously he could have padded out the fact a bit more but I am guessing he isn't being paid by the word.

Maybe someone can explain this "fact"

Were does he make this shit up from? We played at home on August Bank Holiday Monday when we were playing at Withdean, I remember flying back from the Edinburgh Festival on the Monday morning to watch Brighton beat Plymouth who had Traibo West playing for them. If I remember correctly, West was comedy awful and it was rather warm, I was bloody knackered after a week at the Fringe though so my memory may be playing tricks on me.

I seem to remember that Leeds won promotion to the first division on a May Bank holiday at Bournemouth.
Their more obnoxious fans tore Bournemouth apart, loads of arrests, injuries to Bournemouth natives (old Grannies) and general mayhem. I think it went on all over the weekend, and in the aftermath, the FA banned home games for seaside towns. I had completely forgotten about this, I don’t know when the ban was lifted.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
What absolute biscuits you talk. Of course Brighton's fanbase is diverse, but your more successful neighbours in blue and white stripes can testify from their play off visit to us that fans from all classes can come together to create an intimidating atmosphere when something matters to them. Our strength has been our diversity. When our club was on the brink, we had geezers who would invade the pitch and break the crossbars to get national attention, we also had middle aged women. members of the Lib Dems who were willing to picket their own party's conference. We also had accountants with the expertise to trawl through the club's articles and raise the owner's dodgy dealings with the FA. We had punk poets who would take protests hundreds of miles away to the owner's home. We had transport experts with the expertise needed to support the club's planning applications. We had thousands of people from all walks of life that came together to do whatever they could for the club.

But, here's the thing: You Do Too! Leeds is a modern vibrant city with all kinds of people living in it. Your support is not made up from only the ex miners and cotton factory workers. Your support is just as diverse as ours. It's just that we see it as something to be celebrated and, for some reason, you seem to like to pretend that it's not the case.

You're not a gritty working class club, you're a multi million pound business owned by a global investment company. You have some gritty working class supporters, but then so does every club in the country. Growing up myself, I was so gritty and working class that my comprehensive school didn't even teach Latin! Imagine the deprivation.

Mangetout mangetout (at least we learned France)

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes

Quite possibly the best post of 2020 to date.

Sent from my SM-A105G using Tapatalk

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
We are a gritty working class club, always have been, always will be. You may not like us, in fact you clearly don't, and you may laugh at us, but as I said in my first post, for all the mockery (which in the case of the hysteria over White is not undeserved, to be fair), we are a proper club, with character and identity.

OK, that's fair enough.

We'll grant you proper club status.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I seem to remember that Leeds won promotion to the first division on a May Bank holiday at Bournemouth.
Their more obnoxious fans tore Bournemouth apart, loads of arrests, injuries to Bournemouth natives (old Grannies) and general mayhem. I think it went on all over the weekend, and in the aftermath, the FA banned home games for seaside towns. I had completely forgotten about this, I don’t know when the ban was lifted.

I know all about the riot, but I never knew it led to a ban on seaside towns hosting games on bank holiday weekends. I'm struggling to find any reference to this actual ban online anywhere, was there ever an official ban? Obviously the ban, if there was one, was lifted eventually making Timmy's fact incorrect as he said "clubs based in seaside resorts could never have home fixtures on bank holiday weekends again."

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
As we can all see now, that "Killer Whale" has sweet FA of any interest to say, outside the ferret and pigeon fanciers brigade, can we now **** him off ?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Dunno, you'd have to take a closer look at the pixels.

Genuine question: it just looked like somebody had been playing around with it. Might be just the angle.

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020
I don't doubt for a minute that Leeds aren't a traditional club with a largely working class fan base, but what makes a 'proper' club?

Time moves on, things change in football, it amazes me that so many supposed 'proper club' fans seem to just want a closed door premier league with the likes of Wednesday, forest and the like.

That is a very good question, and a difficult one. Which I will attempt to answer, although you may not agree with me.

The first thing I would say is that it has nothing to do with trophies won. Most of the teams in the lower divisions have won nothing at all, but that doesn't mean they aren't "proper" clubs. I would argue that a proper club is rooted in its local community, and reflects the character of the town or city in which it is located. I would say that a proper club has soul. It has a support handed down from father to son (or daughter). And since football is a working class sport, proper clubs have a significant working class support base.

I never said that Brighton wasn't a proper club (interesting that you assumed I meant that) and I would consider you to very much to be one. You may not be a working class town, but I have been to your matches and you certainly have many working class supporters. You are rooted in your local community, I imagine support is handed down the generations, but above all you haven't lost your soul.

Perhaps it is a little easier to describe what is a proper club by pointing out clubs that aren't. Manchester United isn't a proper club. Manchester City used to be, but is one no longer. Arsenal isn't one, and neither is Chelsea. Liverpool isn't, but Everton are. Spurs are on the cusp.

It is a very hard thing to define, and I don't know if I have succeeded. And of course you may disagree with everything I have said. But it is the best I can come up with.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
As we can all see now, that "Killer Whale" has sweet FA of any interest to say, outside the ferret and pigeon fanciers brigade, can we now **** him off ?

he's harmless enough, got to feel sorry for the fella tbh, he actually believes this stuff.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019

every club is a proper club with character and identity

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I bet this has turned White's head a bit more towards us.

I would love it if we got them 1st game of the season and White scores us the winner celebrating it by running straight up to the camera where Bloom is stood next to, Bloom pulls a pen and contract out, White signs there and then, they then both high five each other, start shouting abuse at the Leeds fans through the camera, the stewards come over and try to pull Bloom away, he manages to wriggle out of the stewards grip, runs back to the camera joined by the rest of the team and they then perform the legendary, much rehearsed 'Ring a ring a roses' together.

Leeds will feel sick.

It won’t happen.
There’s absolutely no way that Tony Bloom could high five Ben White, without a very tall stepladder.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here