Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Delay Repay

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I thought this changed a 2/3 years ago when they're now allowed to change the timetable up-to the day before
@jackalbion I’m sure this is the case? I’m pretty certain having fully read the terms of service that they aren’t allowed to cancel the last service home with just 4 hours notice. Perhaps I could’ve demanded alternate transport home, but I really didn’t fancy standing arguing the odds with a bored, apathetic ticket steward on a cold Victoria Station platform late at night…

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
@jackalbion I’m sure this is the case? I’m pretty certain having fully read the terms of service that they aren’t allowed to cancel the last service home with just 4 hours notice. Perhaps I could’ve demanded alternate transport home, but I really didn’t fancy standing arguing the odds with a bored, apathetic ticket steward on a cold Victoria Station platform late at night…
I mean yes you aren't allowed to make very late notice changes to the timetable without good reason (barring emergency engineering works etc), but on the day cancellation will still happen due to unavoidable circumstances (drivers not turning up etc), I believe they try under all circumstances to try and not cancel the last train but thats not always possible of course.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I mean yes you aren't allowed to make very late notice changes to the timetable without good reason (barring emergency engineering works etc), but on the day cancellation will still happen due to unavoidable circumstances (drivers not turning up etc), I believe they try under all circumstances to try and not cancel the last train but thats not always possible of course.
I’m pretty sure there has to be recourse for alternate transportation though

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I’m pretty sure there has to be recourse for alternate transportation though
Apologies misread, Yes that is true, I encourage anyone to argue and get a taxi, because you are entitled to one if you miss the last guaranteed connection. They HAVE to provide you a alternative providing you travelled on a timetabled service with a guaranteed connection (generally 5 mins at stations where you have to change, some stations are longer/shorter).

Anger

Jul 21, 2017
I raised a claim last week for a 30 minute delay (50% refund). This was where a train was cancelled and the next train to my station was 30 minutes later. Slam dunk you would think.

The compensation team have paid for 15-29 minute delay at 25% refund.

I quickly submitted a complaint and called them a bunch of cheating weasels who should apply their own train schedule to their compensation assessment. I have also said that I will raise a complaint with the Railway Ombudsman if they don’t pay the correct amount.

The compensation difference is only £2.25 but I am complaining for the principle because I will need to make similar claims in future and I don’t want them to think that they can get away with it and make up the compensation rules to suit themselves.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Apologies misread, Yes that is true, I encourage anyone to argue and get a taxi, because you are entitled to one if you miss the last guaranteed connection. They HAVE to provide you a alternative providing you travelled on a timetabled service with a guaranteed connection (generally 5 mins at stations where you have to change, some stations are longer/shorter).
Guess this is why they wouldn't book me a taxi as the connecting time was 2 minutes at Barnham.

Annoying because we were told by the conductor on the train that they would have to book a taxi for us.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Some years ago I had a battle with GWR (who weren't then part of delay repay). My train was around 30 minutes late - which meant that I was 2 hours late getting home because it buggered up all the connections. They claimed that the issue was exceptional weather conditions and leaves on the line meaning slow running (that old chestnut) - and therefore out of their control and they didn't have to pay,

I provided them with the 'past weather' for a week, and the times of every other train running on that line on that day. I pointed out that the weather was 'normal', and all the other trains had been mostly on time and all to normal speed. I raised the question of whether there had been a special delivery of leaves onto the line just before my train, which was then miraculously cleared away before the next one came along. I then said 'or maybe it was the brake failure that the guard on the train had mentioned?'

They eventually, grudgingly, paid out.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
I cannot believe how crap it is. I’m actually going through an appeal with them at the moment. It was only a £24 fare but it’s the principal of the thing.

I got given a free ticket ticket last week to see a show in London in the evening. Before leaving I double checked the trains home, as there is only one nowadays which would give me time to see a show and make the train afterwards.

The train up there was absolutely fine - but almost the second I arrived (18:30ish) I got an email saying the last train back to Seaford (22:46) had been cancelled. I would’ve made the train easily and was counting on it to run.

This gave me two options, either leave 20-25 minutes before the end of the show, OR get a train to Brighton and wait TWO HOURS in the town centre for the night buses to start and another hour to get home. The regular 12 services finish for the night about 15 minutes before the train arrives.

I took the former option. Southern are refusing my delay repay request, because 1) I could’ve got an earlier train - which I did, despite missing almost half an hour of a show I travelled to see and 2) they would’ve honoured my train ticket on a number N12 night bus. No replacement services were laid on, and none of this was relayed in the email. It simply said your train has been cancelled.

One other thing - working in theatre myself, I can’t imagine what a nightmare this is for the not small number of crew, performers, musicians and other theatre staff who don’t have the luxury of leaving work early mid-show. I personally know at least ten people commuting to Sussex after a show each night who absolutely depend on that service.

How are they allowed to get away with this? I am 100% certain they are in breach of contract.
I feel your pain but in my experience the Focus Group or whatever they call themselves to deal with complaints is the Rail equivalent of VAR - they just back up their mates. Pre COVID whilst waiting for a train to see BHA v Arsenal away on a Sunday, the Littlehampton to London train was so late they decided it should run fast and they cancelled its scheduled stop at Shoreham. To avoid missing the game I had to dash home, drive to Gatwick and pay for parking. They wouldn’t accept the additional cost this entailed over and above any rail delay payment due.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here