Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dehumidifier for living room ?

Garyoldfan

Jun 14, 2023
(Please allow me this boring post). I was listening to that Martin Lewis money bloke earlier and he was saying that a dehumidifier was potentially cheaper than using a heating system. I’d never even thought of this as presumed it was for hot days only. Does anybody use a dehumidifier during the 10 months of cold weather ?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think this subject came up last winter. From memory there are two different types of dehumidifier - desiccant and compressor.

A desiccant dehumidifier has a heating element inside it, which means the air it blows out is warmer than the air it draws in. A compressor dehumidifier does not warm the air in the same way.

I'm not sure if a dehumidifier alone would be enough to heat a room on the coldest days, but it may mean you could use less of a more expensive heat source.

i use a dehumidifier every so often due to us having a large rambling victorian home that has a tendency to retain water vapour from time to time. if you get a good one then its a very cheap way of just keeping water vapour in check ( and help dry clothes ! ). I'd reckon it costs around £1 a day to run for 10 hours ish. I have a Meaco low energy one - pricey to buy but worth it for us.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
(Please allow me this boring post). I was listening to that Martin Lewis money bloke earlier and he was saying that a dehumidifier was potentially cheaper than using a heating system. I’d never even thought of this as presumed it was for hot days only. Does anybody use a dehumidifier during the 10 months of cold weather ?

I think he would probably referring to their ability to dry clothes. Much cheaper than a tumble dryer or putting the radiators on specifically for that purpose.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I have a couple of dehumidifiers - both Compressor dehumidifiers from Meaco - and they are great at drying rooms/clothes in winter, but I wouldn't think of them as heaters. They do warm up a bit, but nothing like real heating does.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
I’m also a dehumidifier user, and give it the thumbs up for drying clothes and stopping water vapour inside, but mine (also a Meaco) doesn’t do anything with regard to heating. The air blowing out feels faintly warm to the hand, but I wouldn’t say significantly (if at all) above room temperature.

If it’s a case of battening down the hatches as economically as possible, then frankly it’s a case of layers, and either heating the person rather than the room, or heating one room and having the whole household contained in it.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If it’s a case of battening down the hatches as economically as possible, then frankly it’s a case of layers, and either heating the person rather than the room, or heating one room and having the whole household contained in it.
We chose the bathroom….,,, bad choice

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The models used for this basically stop condensation and are normally wall mounted. They do have an heating element although it’s not very powerful. Ive installed a couple good and economical for condensation control. You need to drill a 4inch hole through a wall with a diamond drill bit and you will need a drill to handle the diamond cutter. I would call someone in for the installation.

NottinghamGull

Sep 21, 2023
Nottingham
I don’t use it for heating but do use one periodically to remove moisture from the air. Does a great job. Especially after having a few guests, lots of baths / showers, drying washing indoors. Longer term benefit to stop condensing on windows and walls with potential mould. Amazing how much water is extracted. When it reduces to a low amount then turn it off. Usually use it on a timer switch to take advantage on cheaper Economy 7 electricity overnight.

Garyoldfan

Jun 14, 2023
So you’d go ‘man to man’ marking rather than zonal 👍🏻

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
So you’d go ‘man to man’ marking rather than zonal 👍🏻

Either man to man, or creating one small portakabin-like structure entirely out of players, preventing opposition access to the ball. Ideally with room for a small diesel generator and a pifco electric heater inside.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
You could always open a window for a bit, and keep the door closed

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
We have one that we use for a few days around this time of year when the first cold snap appears. It stops any condensation from appearing on the windows. It gets moved around the house for a few days until no signs of condensation on windows.

Only other time is if we are cooking a big dinner for lots of people and it'll get put in the kitchen for a couple of hours. Great for stopping condensation but never thought of it as a heater :shrug:

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Love dehumidifiers , we have 4 of them around the house doing a great job .
Clothes on an airier in the spare bedroom at the moment with the humidity level at 38% and 21 deg c with no heating on , will be dry by the morning :thumbsup:

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
i use a dehumidifier every so often due to us having a large rambling victorian home that has a tendency to retain water vapour from time to time. if you get a good one then its a very cheap way of just keeping water vapour in check ( and help dry clothes ! ). I'd reckon it costs around £1 a day to run for 10 hours ish. I have a Meaco low energy one - pricey to buy but worth it for us.
Agree with this. We also have a Meaco low energy and put it on a number of times over winter to get rid of condensation and is also excellent at drying clothes rather than hanging them on radiators.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here