Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dehumidifier advice needed

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Here's a random one for you if anyone can help.
There is a slight damp smell in our house , my wife has the dehumidifier on ALL DAY and by the end there is half a tank. Is it possible that the machine could be extracting water from the toilet bowl two rooms away or from the base of the house under the carpets and under the concrete where we suspect there to be water.? Does anyone own one and know anything about them?

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Need to use them here in Spain. If in an enclosed room [door & windows closed] it will extract moisture from walls, floor & ceiling from that room [as well as any in the air]. The damp smell should be your clue.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Thanks Boro, Spain is the last place I would expect to find damp smells

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
In my last flat I used it all day and got about the same half a tank. Just watch you electric bill. It bloody eats the leccy. Should not be needed as much in the summer. At least that's what I found. If you have an actual damp problem rather than condensation. Other solutions will be needed.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
my wife has the dehumidifier on ALL DAY and by the end there is half a tank. Is it possible that the machine could be extracting water from the toilet bowl two rooms away or from the base of the house under the carpets and under the concrete where we suspect there to be water.? Does anyone own one and know anything about them?
Obviously there is water in the air, and it will take it. If the doors are open, the moisture will quickly be replaced from other rooms. A little de-humidifier will not be able to do a whole house. Pick the room you think is the problem, and shut it in there. I've used them a fair bit, and when used properly they're great.

Oh, re toilet bowl - if the house was airtight (it won't be) and it was dry, then the toilet would start to dry up, but you'd be able to tell by looking at it.

Re under the concrete - how old is the house? If it's letting water up through there, that's a huge problem. You'll know because your carpet will go black underneath (lift it and look, or borrow a damp meter).

Last edited:

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
We used to have a thin skinned 1930's flat which suffered with mould so I have a fair amount of dehumidifier experience.

Our flat was consistently around 80% humidity which was terrible for damp but with the dehumidifier we were able to maintain it at a maximum of 60% Still not great and as I'm allergic to mould we eventually sold up and moved somewhere with better ventilation and insulation.

The dehumidifier will continually extract water as there is always humidity in the air. You should be able to set the dehumidifer to turn off at a comfortable humidity level so figure out what that is for your place.

Best thing you can do is to ventilate the house well during the summer.

Bisto

Getting older everyday
Oct 25, 2010
Brighton
If you have a damp smell is the room left shut up? airflow is essential to minimise condensation and stale air.
half a bowl of water is not to bad due to the current moist atmospheric conditions and the comment about keeping doors shut when DH is switched on is spot on!

If you suspect the room is damp it will usually be due to one of 4 reasons;
Condensation(the most common by far), leaks, rising damp, pentetration throught the building fabric.

Condensation is a common one due the high grade insulation and lack of air flow in modern buildings AND because people pet wet clothes on radiators and chairs in doors to dry!!!

Feel the walls at low level and floor for damp if you feel there is some damp hire a damp meter from HSS and test you rooms floor and walls for accurate assessment

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Here's a random one for you if anyone can help.
There is a slight damp smell in our house , my wife has the dehumidifier on ALL DAY and by the end there is half a tank. Is it possible that the machine could be extracting water from the toilet bowl two rooms away or from the base of the house under the carpets and under the concrete where we suspect there to be water.? Does anyone own one and know anything about them?

A dehumidifier will not cure your damp problem,it will only remove moisture from the air in a room with all windows closed.You need to find the cause of the damp and then rectify it.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
If you have a damp smell is the room left shut up? airflow is essential to minimise condensation and stale air.
half a bowl of water is not to bad due to the current moist atmospheric conditions and the comment about keeping doors shut when DH is switched on is spot on!

If you suspect the room is damp it will usually be due to one of 4 reasons;
Condensation(the most common by far), leaks, rising damp, pentetration throught the building fabric.

Condensation is a common one due the high grade insulation and lack of air flow in modern buildings AND because people pet wet clothes on radiators and chairs in doors to dry!!!

Feel the walls at low level and floor for damp if you feel there is some damp hire a damp meter from HSS and test you rooms floor and walls for accurate assessment

This :thumbsup: The best advice and the correct advice, I have great experience with condensation and the like in housing and what has been said above in this post is spot on.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Thanks everyone who replied on this thread , I've got my suspicions on the causes but the damp meter hire is probably my next move.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here