Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Definitive proof the British Public is brilliant...

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I would guess there were an awful lot of folk at Princess Di's funeral that, in Tricky Dicky's terms, didn't know her.

Many hundreds line the route when the bodies of service personnel are flown back and driven through ( Royal ) Wootton Bassett.
They stand for hours, in all weather. They have never known these individuals but they recognise their sacrifice and they want to be there.
We all paid tribute to James Brynin on Saturday. It was very moving, even though most of us didn't know him.
There was a period of time in this Country when the two minute silence lapsed and when sales of poppies dropped and interest in remembrance waned. Thankfully, it has turned round again and it is paid the respect it deserves.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I would guess there were an awful lot of folk at Princess Di's funeral that, in Tricky Dicky's terms, didn't know her.

Many hundreds line the route when the bodies of service personnel are flown back and driven through ( Royal ) Wootton Bassett.
They stand for hours, in all weather. They have never known these individuals but they recognise their sacrifice and they want to be there.
We all paid tribute to James Brynin on Saturday. It was very moving, even though most of us didn't know him.
There was a period of time in this Country when the two minute silence lapsed and when sales of poppies dropped and interest in remembrance waned. Thankfully, it has turned round again and it is paid the respect it deserves.

That's different though, paying respect in that way is great - I knew Jay and his family and I'm sure they're grateful, but going to a funeral, is rather different to me, it would be intruding in my eyes. I'll leave it there, I was never looking for an argument.

But why criticise anyone turning up to a funeral of someone they didn't know - it's all about respect - you don't have to have known someone to respect them.

I was saddened by the death of Diana and I didn't know her, but then again I'm saddened to read in the paper of the death of any thirty something mother of two.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here