Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Defensive and direct

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
This highest scorers last season although correct papers over our deficiencies as we entered the last few weeks of the season we were well behind on GD and our major hope was to score loads, which to our credit we did in the last few home games but it is not a reflection on our general play pre March.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
This highest scorers last season although correct papers over our deficiencies as we entered the last few weeks of the season we were well behind on GD and our major hope was to score loads, which to our credit we did in the last few home games but it is not a reflection on our general play pre March.

Last few home games ?

Here's the goals scored after the Rotherham defeat in January in our last 20 home/away games...

1,2,3,3,0,1,4,4,["pre-March"]0,0,1,2,2,2,2,5,4,3,1,1

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
"our major hope was to score loads, which to our credit we did in the last 20 or so games but it is not a reflection on our general play pre the defeat against Rotherham."

Corrected...

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
According to Norwich boss, Alex Neill, we are very defensive and play direct football. http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/...orrans_passed_fit_for_brighton_test_1_4753807

Doesn't sound like the team I've been watching the past 15 months?

Listen again.

He didn't say we are very defensive. He said what we are good at is keeping clean sheets. That isn't an insult and is also fairly unarguable so far this season given the stats.

He also didn't say we play direct football. He said "They're quite direct in their approach at times." This is also true and IMHO Hughton's willingness to add a direct option to the passing side that he joined has been a significant contributing factor to his success.

Where I would disagree with Neil is in his assessment that we play an old fashioned big-man little man attack. Should Hemed start this could be closer to the truth, but what I've seen recently is Baldock spending a lot of time pressing the last man and stretching the space for Knockaert et al to come into. Murray has been playing less as a target man and more as a sniffer arriving late in the area.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
We signed Knockaert and Skalak, and started scoring goals. Second half of last season's goals scored issue resolved, back on topic.

We are defensive, but I wouldn't say direct. We know where Murray is, but we play with the ball far more than the term direct suggests. Knockaert is direct, he's an aggresive attacking machine which scares every opponent, rightly so. But generally speaking, our team is not what I would call direct more often than not.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
We are a hard team to beat, at times when ahead, we let ourselves down by playing deep and inviting the pressure from the opposition and probably home fans.
Defensively strong as we are, we must take the chances that come our way and put them in the net.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We signed Knockaert and Skalak, and started scoring goals. Second half of last season's goals scored issue resolved.
It was resolved by scoring garbage time goals against garbage teams.

The 'highest goal scorers in the division, therefore we was brilliant' mantra is one of the many NSC mysteries.
Beginning with the fact the Albion were joint highest goal scorers with Burnley and Brentford, and crucially only the 4th best goal difference behind Burnley, 'Boro & Hull (now what have they all got in common)

Almost as big a mystery as the denial faced when pointing out that 9 of those goals were completely superfluous as the team trounced QPR, Fulham & Charlton.

3 Fantastic games, 3 brilliant results, 9 not very valuable points, as we'd have finish 4th instead of 3rd without them.

The team got to where they were last season, exactly the same way as they've got to their current position.

Being tough defensively, and nicking wins.

To a point it's working, certainly well enough to not change.
The manager seems unable or unwilling to stay on the front foot after going a goal up.
So those that don't like it need to suck it up, because that's not changing, nor should it.
We all have faith in CH, therefore we all have to accept he's more George Graham than Keggy Keygy. (once again hard not to argue with)

It just odd that people are so keen to deny what the team is, and has been successful in doing.
In favour of some free flowing goal scoring machine which it so clearly isn't. (unless all the planets line up to generate the odd freaky result)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I am so looking forward to 26k+ giving Knocky a standing ovation tomorrow when he sends 3 defenders off to get a burger in the concourse (won't be any left, obviously, but they won't know that)

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
It was resolved by scoring garbage time goals against garbage teams.

Almost as big a mystery as the denial faced when pointing out that 9 of those goals were completely superfluous as the team trounced QPR, Fulham & Charlton.

3 Fantastic games, 3 brilliant results, 9 not very valuable points, as we'd have finish 4th instead of 3rd without them.

Had the team managed two more goals in those three games we would have been promoted on goal difference.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Had the team managed two more goals in those three games we would have been promoted on goal difference.
Begging the question:-

Why be so proud of 'goals scored' when it still wasn't enough?

There's a 101 different reasons, through 46 games right down to specific situations in games, that can be given as the excuse for still being a championship club, and all be justifiable.
That's what losing by such a fine margin does to a team, but more so the fans.

To me what should be first and foremost in the minds of all at the club, is those same excuses don't get trotted out for a second summer.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Begging the question:-

Why be so proud of 'goals scored' when it still wasn't enough?

There's a 101 different reasons, through 46 games right down to specific situations in games, that can be given as the excuse for still being a championship club, and all be justifiable.
That's what losing by such a fine margin does to a team, but more so the fans.

To me what should be first and foremost in the minds of all at the club, is those same excuses don't get trotted out for a second summer.

What excuses specifically are or were trotted out because i can't remember the club quoting any of the things that you blame SB.
ie:- we didn't spend enough money on a striker. Literally any striker.

Hughton did say at the Forum in August it was a) fine margins and b) perhaps the depth of the squad which he's improved which i'm sure you'll acknowledge.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
this is actually what Alex Neil said in the Pink 'Un. Bit more nuanced.
via http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/...ty_in_championship_test_at_brighton_1_4754561

“If you look at the figures they have conceded nine or 10 less than us but equally we have scored nine or ten more than them,” he said. “The bottom line is there is one point between us so which is the best method? We know we have to improve the defensive focus but do you go and keep it tight and try to nick games or do you actually try to win? My approach is always to go and win a game and if it costs us a goal then I want us to score two or three.

“I am not saying that is always the right approach but that has what has got us this far. Ultimately we go to win, as they will. Our method versus their method and it comes down to the players and who performs.”

Neil is an admirer of Hughton the man as much as the manager.

“Chris is a really good coach. He knows how he wants his teams to play,” said the City boss. “They are organised, they follow his instructions, and he has had success in the Championship. He did well in the Premier League and he is a nice man as well when you meet him and spend any time in his company.

“They are a strong side. They have a pattern of play they are used to, with two up front, and they are quite direct in their approach at times with (Sam) Baldock working off either (Tomer) Hemed or (Glenn) Murray. Behind them they have two inverted wingers in (Anthony) Knockaert and (Jiri) Skalak or (Jamie) Murphy on the other side. We know exactly what is coming but it is making sure we perform well on the day. We know it will be tough but equally we have players at the top end who have shown nearly every game they are capable of hurting teams.”

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The Argus though makes their front page lead on his use of the word "old fashioned" in a few more quotes from Neil previewing tomorrow
via: http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/alb...to_expect_from__old_fashioned__Albion_attack/
“They are a strong side. They have got a pattern of play they are used to playing.
“They play two up front. They are quite direct in their approach at times and they’ve got the old-fashioned big man, wee man combination with (Sam) Baldock working off (Tomer) Hemed or (Glenn) Murray.
“They’ve got two inverted wingers with (Anthony) Knockaert coming in on to his left foot on the right side and (Jiri) Skalak or (Jamie) Murphy on the other side.

“We know exactly what’s coming. We are fully prepped for the game.”
Baldock has scored in three of Albion’s last four matches while Murray has six goals this season, all at home.
Albion have conceded ten goals fewer than Norwich and scored eight less than the Canaries.
The Seagulls are also second in the table in terms of attempts on goal in home matches.
Neil added: “The bottom line is there’s one point between us.”

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Saw that yesterday the interview on seagulls player and what he said is entirely accurate. We are very predictable in how we set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Strong in defense is not the same as defensive
It's hardly a continent apart.
Anyway I do see the team as defensive, there aren't any 'suicide missions', no matter how far up field Bruno and Bong find themselves, it's always calculated so are very rarely out of position. Away from dead ball situations the centre backs hold their position and line.
While the centre midfield always begin on their toes.

Saw that yesterday the interview on seagulls player and what he said is entirely accurate. We are very predictable in how we set up.

But it's working so why is this a problem for posters?
Why the need to run away from a compliment?

This whole thread was set up as if the Albion had been slighted by the term 'defensive and direct'.
The team is, that's how the manager likes it, and it works.

AN is basically saying 'they're defensive and direct and we can't defend for Italy'.

Does anyone think AN would turn his nose up at the Albion's defensive capabilities?
Of course he wouldn't he'd bite your freakin hand off, for a clean sheet.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
It's hardly a continent apart.
Anyway I do see the team as defensive, there aren't any 'suicide missions', no matter how far up field Bruno and Bong find themselves, it's always calculated so are very rarely out of position. Away from dead ball situations the centre backs hold their position and line.
While the centre midfield always begin on their toes.

But it's working so why is this a problem for posters?
Why the need to run away from a compliment?

This whole thread was set up as if the Albion had been slighted by the term 'defensive and direct'.
The team is, that's how the manager likes it, and it works.

AN is basically saying 'they're defensive and direct and we can't defend for Italy'.

Does anyone think AN would turn his nose up at the Albion's defensive capabilities?
Of course he wouldn't he'd bite your freakin hand off, for a clean sheet.

Never said it doesn't work it's just a predictable set up but luckily we have the players to make it hard to play against even if they know exactly how we will play!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here