Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Defending Corners

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
What I would like to see sorted out is this short goal kick routine, everyone can see we cant do it and we nearely give the ball away every time we try it.

Definitely! It causes nervousness amongst the crowd too and this transfers to the players.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
For a man who is 6ft 4in he is poor at defensive headers but good at attacking. Webster is just poor at heading and Burn gets to the headers but doesnt direct them. So consequently we are poor defending set pieces.

Added to Dunk’s clear failings and Ryan’s lack of height, one can see why we let in so many set piece goals.

kjgood

Thank you, you explain the point I was trying to make, I dont advocate ''Hooffing it'' every time, the game has moved on, but we need to be less predictable with the routine. At Chelsea and I may be wrong wasnt the penalty caused by a failed short goal kick?

Regarding the point about the short goal kicks, I had people all around me moaning about those for the whole game on Saturday. "Just hoof it" was the call.

I think people fundamentally misunderstand why we play like this. Once you beat the press you have time and space to pick passes and counterattack. Most of the game at the weekend wasn't a good example as our midfield's passing was really poor for the most part.

Sometimes you do have to switch things up, I think even Potter would admit we overplayed the short game at Chelsea away and just put ourselves under unnecessary pressure, however on Saturday, even though Everton got close to dispossessing us at times, we were retaining possession at our best in defence imo.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Thank you, you explain the point I was trying to make, I dont advocate ''Hooffing it'' every time, the game has moved on, but we need to be less predictable with the routine. At Chelsea and I may be wrong wasnt the penalty caused by a failed short goal kick?

One of my favourite moments from Saturday was when Webster got the ball, miss controlled, almost lost it, sent a high pass to dunk who stretched, just got his head to it under pressure and nodded it back to Ryan. Did Maty breathe a sigh of relief and smash it long? Nah, he instantly rolled it back to Dunk's feet, who passed it out and we sliced through then all the way to their box, creating a chance for someone.

This is how we play and I am enjoying the way we can carve through teams with just the simplest of short passing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here