Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Defending corners

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Not a whinge, just an observation.....

Something that became very noticeable to me yesterday, was every time Oldham had a corner, we pulled all 11 men back to defend it. Everytime we had a corner, they left 1 or even 2 players up, so our defenders had to stay back in case of a break.

I'd really like to see us leave at least 1 player up front when the opposition get a corner so we at least have the possibility of a quick break.

Discuss...

Edit: Ah, the similar threads facility has just told me this is not a new issue ! I appear to have fixtured myself

http://www.northstandchat.biz/showthread.php?t=112389

Last edited:

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
We have had everyone back on corners all season!!!

Keep Cox on the half way line and they would have to keep at least 2 back.

I just don't get it???

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
This is a tactic i have always wondered about. Recently at a non-league the defending team at a corner put 3 men on the halfway line across the pitch. That meant the attacking side had to keep 4 back,plus the keeper. When you allow for the corner taker that only leaves 5 outfield playaers to cover the attacking corner. The defending team won every time. :bigwave:

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
My mates and I have been talking about this for the last few home games.
It stops us from breaking quickly, just leave someone like Cox on the half way line or Forster and they will leave at least two defenders back to mark.

Saying that, all the time we keep winning ...... :thumbsup:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Most of F block points this out to Wilkins each week, so he can't be unaware! We should always leave 1 up, as the opposition would almost certainly leave 3 back. Yesterday, Oldham left ONE man back, meaning nine were in goalscoring positions.

A couple of times in the second half, they had three up for our corners, something I've never seen before.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
Why not leave Cox up there? I'm not being disrespectful to him, but he is not going to be doing any heading of balls AWAY from the goal if he is up against a 6ft something defender/striker on the opposing team.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I thought that Josh sounded like a precosious little brat who was reading from a script given him by an adult.

I do agree with leaving at least our two smallest players up on the half way line as the defending side will always leave 1 extra in case we break.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
A more congested penalty area means its harder for attackers to get a run in on goal for attacking the ball.

10 back I say.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
A more congested penalty area means its harder for attackers to get a run in on goal for attacking the ball.

10 back I say.

Good point and I can't actually remember conceding many this season from corners (awaits correction). We also have a decent amount of pace to break away if we gain possession.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
As this topic has come up before, I'll say what i said last time.

Put a 2 small, fast, players on the half way line but out on each wing. Defence will have to bring one back for each plus another as cover in the middle.

Basic stuff. maybe Wilkins will explain his tactics one day.

Also basic stuff...why does everybody go into the same part of the pitch for goal kicks? Look's like a kids game.

And why does nobody hang out wide on the opposite side for corners/free kicks? So many times we see balls go over everyone. A player coming in get's more time to see where the ball might be going and can 'come around the back'.

As this topic has come up before, I'll say what i said last time.

Put a 2 small, fast, players on the half way line but out on each wing. Defence will have to bring one back for each plus another as cover in the middle.

Basic stuff. maybe Wilkins will explain his tactics one day.

Also basic stuff...why does everybody go into the same part of the pitch for goal kicks? Look's like a kids game.

And why does nobody hang out wide on the opposite side for corners/free kicks? So many times we see balls go over everyone. A player coming in get's more time to see where the ball might be going and can 'come around the back'.

The end results of having a tv salesman coaching the first team?

All of the above points can be coached into a player until it becomes second nature...clearly we need some professional help for Wilkins.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
another thing iv noticed a few times is the amount of times the ball is cleared to just outside the area and we have know one there,so it's only half cleared and we are still under pressure

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here