Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes, I think he's quite right to do so. If he (and his agent) try to insist on being paid in full for the time he doesn't turn up, then I would quickly lose sympathy.

According to a talksport discussion with Simon Jordan and others last night, the likes of Rose and Deeney will expect full pay for not turning up and may well be backed in employment law. For as many months and years remaining in their contract, as they please.

Through simply saying that football is not a 100% safe (from covid19) working environment.

If that’s the case, could 30 million others could take the same route? How can any working environment be proven 100% covid19 safe?

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
According to a talksport discussion with Simon Jordan and others last night, the likes of Rose and Deeney will expect full pay for not turning up and may well be backed in employment law. For as many months and years remaining in their contract, as they please.

Through simply saying that football is not a 100% safe (from covid19) working environment.

If that’s the case, could 30 million others could take the same route? How can any working environment be proven 100% covid19 safe?

hmm, you've got me thinking now...

I can't see that argument succeeding. Plenty of working environments are not 100% safe, everything from test pilots to lollipop ladies (is that still an exceptable term or am I being sexist?).

What counts is not that the working environment is not safe but that the employer has taken all reasonable steps to ensure that it is as safe as possible for their employees.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
He's gone up in my expectations.

He's thought about it and that takes a brain.

I didn't think he had one up until now.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
How much of player, like Deeeney's contract is made up of appearance bonuses, goal bonuses, assist bonuses etc. He is obviously foregoing that so what we are talking about is starting base salary. Now if that's extremely high and makes the bonuses irrelevant then perhaps the agents and clubs need to look at themselves.

Far too easy to blame the player and we are talking about Troy Deeney here, not Lionel Messi. Someone who has spent most of his career in the lower leagues and came up from the bottom.

But just for argument's sake:

Scenario 1 - Deeney goes back to work because his contract says so and three weeks later his son dies (god forbid). How many people will blame him for spending time in a crowded six yard box with idiots like Odoi?

Scenario 2 - He doesnt go back to work. He gets docked his salary. he gets blackballed, when he complains he is doing the right thing.. His career is over at 34... who wants an ageing player like that?

I truly hope neither scenario happens.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Nonsense. They just have a profile that means if they are caught transgressing, then it makes the news.

Partly that's true.

Partly they can do things we can't and there's a culture of doing so. (for example pay for £1000 per night whores who an then make even more money by going to the tabloids with the story)

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
His wages are not relevant as no amount of money would be worth putting his child’s life at risk and I fully respect his right to make this decision.

He also makes some good points that there are too many unanswered questions so like Murray he is not saying never just not yet it feels too early. The comparisons with Germany are misleading as the daily graphs show we have had a much more significant issue with the virus here and are in the very early days of mildly relaxed restrictions.

There also seems to be a large number of Liverpool fan base having a pop at him which is astonishing. These Liverpool fans with apparently no self awareness tweeting JFT96 then attacking anyone who wants to put their lives and those of their family ahead of a football match.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I wonder if Deeney's decision would have been different if he didn't have a young child suffering from breathing difficulties.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
There also seems to be a large number of Liverpool fan base having a pop at him which is astonishing. These Liverpool fans with apparently no self awareness tweeting JFT96 then attacking anyone who wants to put their lives and those of their family ahead of a football match.

Seems that any scenario that means they don’t get the title is unacceptable to many of them. Players refusing to train threatens that.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
His wages are not relevant as no amount of money would be worth putting his child’s life at risk and I fully respect his right to make this decision..

Not relevant in terms of his not wanting to play (I'm 100% behind him), but the players will need to take a pay cut.

Nothing to do with morality, there are simply unsustainable at the moments.

But fair play to Deeney.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

I’m not sure this is the correct place

But this is now the issue, we all have people at work who like the play the sickness card.

We have given these people the chance to be off for the forseeable

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
There is no prospect of him losing wages for this. He'll insist on being paid that whole amount. If he doesn't get it, it will end up on court and he'll win. Watford won't want to end his contract because of his value.

Took a few incorrect posts to get to the right answer.

His employer cannot provide him a safe working environment and therefore he has no obligation to turn up... And could sue the sh*t out of them if they even blink the wrong way.

Absolute cut and dried. Every employer is obliged to offer a safe working environment. As footballer cannot social distance, any of them can do what Troy has. Good on him. Sick baby at home, the EPL, Sky and Watford can all go f**k themselves.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
3 Watford players / staff test positive today - Deeney vindicated ?

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
One Watford player, 2 members of their staff. Apparently some other Watford players have now said they won’t be training tomorrow. Deeney has a young baby with breathing issues , I totally understand why he is very concerned & isn’t wanting to train at the moment .

Burnley assistant manager was one of the others who tested positive.

Source - David Ornstein- extremely reliable .

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
EPL should rename Project Restart as Project Russian Roulette

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here