Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Decluttering: well-meaning advice for younger people from an old ****

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
We are in the process of moving home and I done a boot sale a few weeks back at Carden Ave. As soon as I pulled up to my pitch the feckers were on me like flies on cow sh!t. Jeez they didn't even let me unpack. We had some good quality items and made a few quid but what people wanted to pay for some stuff I told them I'd rather skip it or give it to charity as a matter of principal. Needless to say Scope, London Rd done very well out of us.

Chief Wiggum

Apr 30, 2009
This comes under tidying up, but is relevent if you have nippers. When my kids were small (three boys and a girl all under 5 yrs of age) I found that the following de-cluttering regime once a week or so was very effective:

Upon entering room, sweep all assorted leggo, soldiers, meccano and other assorted shit into the centre of the room and leave in a nice neat pile.
Place empty bin bag next to pile.
Announce that anything left in the pile or not in its box, cupboard store etc at the end of 40 mins is going in the bag and then into the bin.

Worked every time.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
If it's not worth much, hiring a skip is the way to go. Once you have that thing sitting outside, you know you have to fill it to get your money's worth.

Not true, I firmly believe that all skips have a built in beacon given that as soon as a skip appears you can guarantee that the next morning it will be full of rubbish that has been dumped in it overnight by people from within a 10 mile radius, meaning that you have to order a second one for your own junk

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
What about tinned food which has been purchased in the last couple of years just in case of a No Deal. Takes up so much space and I m getting sick of Baked Beans I can tell you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Not true, I firmly believe that all skips have a built in beacon given that as soon as a skip appears you can guarantee that the next morning it will be full of rubbish that has been dumped in it overnight by people from within a 10 mile radius, meaning that you have to order a second one for your own junk

My house is ringed by security cameras so it wasn't an issue. In fact I'd loved to catch them at it. The raccoons, however, were a different matter. . .

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Freecycle is the easy way to get rid of stuff. Don't take it to the tip. Find a well run charity shop, and register for gift-aid. We downsized a few years ago, and it wasn't worth the aggro of trying to get money for any of it

This. I have given up car boot sales. Previous comments are correct, people just won't pay and you end up virtually giving away if you don't want to take back home.
If good quality I will give ebay a try, if that doesn't sell give to charity shop or put on freecycle. Try to make tip my very last port of call.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I made £150 at a car boot sale only a few weeks ago. I love selling stuff and whilst some people won't pay much, you just say no when they try and rip you off. If it's worth buying and you price it right, it will usually sell.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
I have started selling my stuff through Auctions. We have a good one here in Worthing (Goring). 50p an item plus 10% of the selling price. Far better than a boot sale.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here