Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Decking? What is the ******* point of it?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I don't understand the point of putting decking in a garden.

Am I missing something? All people are doing is creating a
small wooden platform to somehow create an illusion of minimal height
and grandeur. All that you get though is something that you trip over,
will be a fashion faux pas in a few years and to my mind something
that looks shit anyway.

:amex:

I agreed wholeheartedly until I moved here. Slippery, moss ridden, slowly rotting, but enough of the UK. Proper hardwood deck is a thing of beauty, and unlike concrete you can walk on it barefoot when it is 40 degrees outside.

Bit like those with patios, pretentious wankers

You live in a flat huh? :lol:

Brother Sid

Jan 4, 2006
Horsham
My neighbours have decking. A few years ago whilst they were on holiday we had blocked drains and I had to go next door to access the sewer with the drain people. As I stepped on their decking my foot went straight through the decking leaving a large whole. It’s still there to this day.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
My neighbours have decking. A few years ago whilst they were on holiday we had blocked drains and I had to go next door to access the sewer with the drain people. As I stepped on their decking my foot went straight through the decking leaving a large whole. It’s still there to this day.

A large whole what? :smile:

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Have I missed something? Is this an attempt at the world pompous record? I've not got decking but seriously, who the **** cares?

It's called humour and human behaviour observation. Can be quite liberating and generate opinion. That is what
this board is about, would you not agree? Or don't you give a ****?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It's called humour and human behaviour observation. Can be quite liberating and generate opinion. That is what
this board is about, would you not agree? Or don't you give a ****?

NSC is not what it was (still great but much of the humour is filtered out for a variety of reasons)

I have no idea how anyone can link “pompous” to this thread :shrug:

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
I always thought this but didn't realise it was a popular view. I'm sure good decking is good, but the untreated softwood they put up on garden makeover shows always looks so disappointing and will obviously rot in a few years. They build it direct on top of old slabs! Terrible waste of money and material.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
We installed a softwood deck ten years ago. Was significantly cheaper than paving, especially as it’s on a slope so was easy to build up at the low end to level it. We have Little if any signs of rot, occasionally a bit slippy but with a brush down it soon goes. For only the second time since it was installed We’ve just given it jet wash and a new coat of deck oil and it looks brand new again. :shrug:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I agreed wholeheartedly until I moved here. Slippery, moss ridden, slowly rotting, but enough of the UK. Proper hardwood deck is a thing of beauty, and unlike concrete you can walk on it barefoot when it is 40 degrees outside.

You live in a flat huh? :lol:

Twice extended patio actually ;-)

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
We bought the house with the decked garden already installed. Every ****ing year for the last seven years I've nearly killed myself slipping on the ****er in the winter and have to spend a whole day in the summer sweating my bollocks off re-oiling the damn thing at significant expense....don't talk to me about ****ing decking. The wife likes it though so no chance of ripping it up in the immediate future - I'm playing a long game one this one.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
The new composite decking boards have a much longer life, and are less slippery.
I am not a fan of decking, but the sewage treatment plant in my garden is hidden under decking which has just about reached the end of it’s life, and I will replace it with composite boards as soon as the builders merchants reopen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here