Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Decent Golf Course nearish to Hove

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
PM me when you have a Saturday free and come up and play...the two pin positions on each hole make it a very different course!

I've played it a few times and it's a nice course but would rather play 18 different holes tbh. Nothing wrong with the quality though. Would be happy to have a round GW.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
PM me when you are next in South Africa and you can come and play with me here http://www.gowriefarm.co.za/.

My dad used to play a couple of courses in joburg and I would go round with him trying to find his ball! I was only 8 to 10 and they wouldn't let me play as I was too young. My ambition is to play the sun city course

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Has anyone played the course near Cowden?

I was riding towards it and knew I had to take a left fork in the road.
I just wasn't expecting the fork in the road to be an actual green.

Shirley many a ball has been pinged into a reasonably busy road.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Has anyone played the course near Cowden?

I was riding towards it and knew I had to take a left fork in the road.
I just wasn't expecting the fork in the road to be an actual green.

Shirley many a ball has been pinged into a reasonably busy road.

Cowden on the Kent border? There are 2 courses near there - Holtye and Sweetwoods Park. I have not played the latter, but have played Holtye many times - there is one green that is in the middle of a V made by the main road and lane off it and yes, many balls end up on the road.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Cowden on the Kent border? There are 2 courses near there - Holtye and Sweetwoods Park. I have not played the latter, but have played Holtye many times - there is one green that is in the middle of a V made by the main road and lane off it and yes, many balls end up on the road.
I would say thanks, but all you appear to have done is rewritten what I wrote :smile:

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Can`t believe no mention of Pyecombe...Great Course,very friendly atmosphere in Clubhouse.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ok then I will answer your question:

Yes, I have played there.
Blimey this is like pulling teeth!!

So what's that hole like, I can't believe it's anything other than a short chip on.
They can't encourage people to take it on from 200 yards.
(excuse my limited knowledge of golfage)

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Blimey this is like pulling teeth!!

So what's that hole like, I can't believe it's anything other than a short chip on.
They can't encourage people to take it on from 200 yards.
(excuse my limited knowledge of golfage)

It is difficult to answer questions you do not ask.

It is the 3rd hole, a longish par 4 and rated the hardest hole on the course. The hole is a dogleg right, so the tee shot is hitting towards the main road and away from the lane - you have to hit it miles right to hit into the lane from the tee and hit it just miles to get to the main road. The second shot can be anything from a fairway wood to a mid iron so yes, people are taking it on from 200 yards plus. However, as most amateurs hit the ball left to right, not many will go near the main road. The lane is in danger though and that is where more balls will end up.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's certainly an oddity.
As said I was on my bike so it's not as if I studied it, but there didnt seem like much room between road and green.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
It's certainly an oddity.
As said I was on my bike so it's not as if I studied it, but there didnt seem like much room between road and green.

There isn't any room from what I remember, but the hole has been designed in such a way to minimise balls on the road as the only place the lane meets the hole is right by the green and only good golfers can get on or near that green in 2. The not so good ones will play up short and then chip it on.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Well there we are then. What time shall I book the tee for?! :)

Do you play a lot of golf around Sussex or mainly at B&H?

Most courses from hill barn to hollingbury, mannings Heath , haywards heath,west hove, singing hills etc. have a competition at mid sussex coming up and one at East brighton

Have lost interest in football these days..probably my last year of having a season ticket!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Most courses from hill barn to hollingbury, mannings Heath , haywards heath,west hove, singing hills etc. have a competition at mid sussex coming up and one at East brighton

Have lost interest in football these days..probably my last year of having a season ticket!

Has your interest in football just gone up a tad?!

Glad you are getting to play lots of other courses and pleased you have been to Haywards Heath - that is my old stomping ground! There are some really good courses in Sussex - you have to play West Sussex at Pulborough, Royal Ashdown, Crowborough Beacon, East Sussex (west course is nicer than the east imo), Copthorne, Ifield, Littlehampton, Cooden Beach, Piltdown, Seaford (Blatchington) and if you ever get the chance to play at Birch Grove (Harold Macmillan's old house) you HAVE to go. It is fabulous but it is a private course that used to get opened to the public for charity events once or twice a year, although I understand that it has been neglected somewhat. Are the SCGU still doing a county card scheme whereby you can get discounted green fees? Worth doing if they are and you want to explore more.

Golf certainly does curtail ones football activities - I played to a reasonable standard so was playing just about every weekend. Had some great times and I do miss them sometimes.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here