Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Decent cafe for a full-English in Bethnal Green

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
There's a place called Hulya's Cafe that's right by York Hall that I love for some reason. Always seems quite quiet and good fry-ups. This was last time I was there: fry-up.jpg

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Surely not for breakfast. I prefer coffee and croissants in a North Laine deli.
Must be more of a Brighton poseur than I like to admit.

To be honest I mostly skip breakfast, but normally I just have a yogurt. However, there are some days when only a concerning quantity of food will do.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Pleased to see fried bread, black pudding and bubble on the Pellicci full-English menu.

theboybilly

That was my local for years in the eighties. Loved the place. Fantastic doorstop sandwiches. Well kept cellar. Laura the beautiful barmaid who married Eric Sykes' son Dave. Danny Wallace's dad. Greta the Princess of Norway. Happy days.

I used the Dog & Bell on a Sunday evening for the excellent quiz nights. I loved it too but it was too far away to be a 'real' local for me in Woolwich. Most of the pubs around SE8 have closed now and there were quite a few back in the early 90s. I've drank in most

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What a great place is E Pellicci is. The cafe itself has a lovely 30s deco wooden interior and was very busy with a mix of punters. The host, an east end Italian Spurs supporter, was proper old school class and charm. Got talking to him about my day, football, Chris Hughton and German mustard and white sausage; he showed me the German mustard a mate sends him from Bavaria. The breakfast itself was superb and the tea was exactly how I like it (the colour of the gold Quality Street toffee disc)

And Eric Hall was sat on the next table. Monster monster.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 128

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What a great place is E Pellicci is. The cafe itself has a lovely 30s deco wooden interior and was very busy with a mix of punters. The host, an east end Italian Spurs supporter, was proper old school class and charm. Got talking to him about my day, football, Chris Hughton and German mustard and white sausage; he showed me the German mustard a mate sends him from Bavaria. The breakfast itself was superb and the tea was exactly how I like it (the colour of the gold Quality Street toffee disc)

Nice bit of bubble there - great to see.

Controversial to have the egg on toast and then the fried slice on the side though.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Your rings are very pretty, HT.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

image (3).jpeg

there appears to be a woman with a tattoo near you
is it one of those communal strangers sit where they want places?

more importantly someone has pinched all your beans and left no trace at all.......bloody cockneys!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
View attachment 73947

there appears to be a woman with a tattoo near you
is it one of those communal strangers sit where they want places?

more importantly someone has pinched all your beans and left no trace at all.......bloody cockneys!

The tattooed stranger is the missus but we did share a table with a couple of young gents.

I didn't even realise my beans had been stolen; the perfect crime.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Controversial to have the egg on toast and then the fried slice on the side though.

I agree, if an egg has to be on top of something I would typically expect the reverse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here