Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Debacle from Pottr through Maupay down to Ryan

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
We just can’t beat the press. Any team that presses us high up the pitch forces errors and we look shaky. Our Defence isn’t as resilient as last year and we cave in. We then go long and have no success as we don’t have the players for that. Basically the opposition press us high and wait for an inevitable mistake.
We need to be able to mix it up. Get physical and play ugly when our playing game isn’t working. My worry is we don’t have the players... or the coach for that. Smug Howe changed it for this game. Would we have? I think we all know the answer.
We need a slight change in Philosophy for certain games and maybe get some powerful strong players in that can deal with a bombardment. Duffy etc..
I am not in favour of a change of manager.. just a few different options.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The 3 subs was a bit of a moment for me regarding Potter. I couldn’t BELIEVE he thought the answer was to go for yet more of the same - even smaller, even more tricky little passes. We were crying out for Duffy and Murray. I actually thought that triple sub smacked of arrogance, of - no matter what, this is right.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
The 3 subs was a bit of a moment for me regarding Potter. I couldn’t BELIEVE he thought the answer was to go for yet more of the same - even smaller, even more tricky little passes. We were crying out for Duffy and Murray. I actually thought that triple sub smacked of arrogance, of - no matter what, this is right.

Unfortunately it showed Potter up for what he is.............a coach from a lower level completely out of his depth in the Premier League.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Unfortunately it showed Potter up for what he is.............a coach from a lower level completely out of his depth in the Premier League.
For me the early warning signs were when he tried to play man city at their own game at the Etihad. It was ridiculously arrogant and we got stuffed.

More recently potter having a pop at fans didn't exactly endear me to him either.

Worrying signs

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
For me the early warning signs were when he tried to play man city at their own game at the Etihad. It was ridiculously arrogant and we got stuffed.

More recently potter having a pop at fans didn't exactly endear me to him either.

Worrying signs

Pep was full of praise though. Wonder why :lolol:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
There was an interesting radio interview with Mariappa of Watford this week. He was asked what Pearson had changed, the answers from Mariappa:

1. Work harder, run further.
2. When not in possession, have a solid defensive shape ... absolutely vital.
3. Finally, keeping things simple, players prefer that and always respond to that, back to footballing basics. They did not get that clear message from the last 2 coaches.

Yielding:
L(Anfield)
W
D
W
W
W
D
L

Elipsis

Sep 14, 2019

Worrying signs

He's looking out his depth. His idealistic approach is unrealistic and inflexible and is being picked off by the better sides. Our lack of resilience and tactical flexibility is in stark contrast to the likes of Burnley and Sheffield United who must surely be operating on lower budgets and transfer spends.

Sent from my 5039D_EEA using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Worrying signs

The funny thing was that quite a few Albion fans found that 4-0 really exciting, because we’d attacked in large numbers way up field. Guardiola used that naive tactic to destroy us on the counter, over and over again.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
There was an interesting radio interview with Mariappa of Watford this week. He was asked what Pearson had changed, the answers from Mariappa:

1. Work harder, run further.
2. When not in possession, have a solid defensive shape ... absolutely vital.
3. Finally, keeping things simple, players prefer that and always respond to that, back to footballing basics. They did not get that clear message from the last 2 coaches.

Yielding:
L(Anfield)
W
D
W
W
W
D
L
EXACTLY what bmuff did to us today.

They have better players. They knew that if they kept it tight and worked hard they would beat us.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
He's looking out his depth. His idealistic approach is unrealistic and inflexible and is being picked off by the better sides. Our lack of resilience and tactical flexibility is in stark contrast to the likes of Burnley and Sheffield United who must surely be operating on lower budgets and transfer spends.

Sent from my 5039D_EEA using Tapatalk
We can only pray he has an epiphany because we've been well and truly found out. But; again I see no evidence that potter thinks things need changing. He hasn't once held his hands up and taken the blame. He seems to think we are doing well enough and are just a bit unlucky.

Well 1 win in 10 tells a different story mate. Get ya head out of your arse quickly.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
We can only pray he has an epiphany because we've been well and truly found out. But; again I see no evidence that potter thinks things need changing. He hasn't once held his hands up and taken the blame. He seems to think we are doing well enough and are just a bit unlucky.

Well 1 win in 10 tells a different story mate. Get ya head out of your arse quickly.

This is my concern and why i now think we're likely heading down this time. Id love to be proved wrong but clubs around us are either picking up points through grit and grind or are turning things around with a new manager. Or in the case of villa, have one top player who'll single handedly keep them up. We're obviously not going to change manager but I just dont think we have it in us this term to grind out results with the way we are trying to play and with the personnel. I can only see us finishing above Norwich

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I don't see anything intrinsically wrong with the playing the ball out but when you do it every single time it is predictable and predictability becomes easier to counter. Too many teams are now pressing high and we don't cope with it so we should be playing a longer ball so the opposition aren't sure what is going to happen. Question is, is it down to strict instructions from Potter or down to players not using their brains!

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I don't see anything intrinsically wrong with the playing the ball out but when you do it every single time it is predictable and predictability becomes easier to counter. Too many teams are now pressing high and we don't cope with it so we should be playing a longer ball so the opposition aren't sure what is going to happen. Question is, is it down to strict instructions from Potter or down to players not using their brains!

The problem is to mix it up with a longer ball you need a target man upfront like Murray which is what Sheff United are doing with Oli McBurnie.

For some reason we are not using Murray who could do this job all the while we wait for the recruitment team to pull their finger out

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
I like Potter, but feel he needs to
Learn by his mistakes, he does not seem
To. We need to change our style quickly or we will go down. We do not play with enough tempo and are so predictable. Last night summed it up for me. Plus Webster can’t defend, Maupay needs help up front (why did Murray not come on last night?). Alzate is not a right back. Think the worst thing last night is Bournemouth we’re awful and they beat us, due to Potters lack of premier league experience. Look at Palace, they play boring negative kick and run defensive football, but got a manager who knows what he is doing with his limited players, think maybe he has got it right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
On the bright side , it’s not like the prem is that good and the champ is that bad
, for where we are at the moment.
Potterball might work at that level, especially with Mac Allister and White added to this squad.
The only one we would massively miss is dunk.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I like Potter, but feel he needs to
Learn by his mistakes, he does not seem
To. We need to change our style quickly or we will go down. We do not play with enough tempo and are so predictable. Last night summed it up for me. Plus Webster can’t defend, Maupay needs help up front (why did Murray not come on last night?). Alzate is not a right back. Think the worst thing last night is Bournemouth we’re awful and they beat us, due to Potters lack of premier league experience. Look at Palace, they play boring negative kick and run defensive football, but got a manager who knows what he is doing with his limited players, think maybe he has got it right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When teams like us have to play like that to survive in the Prem you do start wonder what's the point of it all anyway!

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I am not defending the shambles of last night in any way. Lots of people on the board though are calling for Murray back in the team and I just don’t think that is the answer. He has lost his pace and in his recent cameo performances contributed nothing. No blame as he has has had a brilliant career. Of course we have a problem up front but we have a bigger one with lack of midfielders capable of making accurate forward passes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here