Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dear Scotland

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
A Scotsman is sitting in the bar alone. He was meant to be meeting an Englishman, a Welshman and two Irishmen - they're still all at the Euros.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
There are only 4 home nations

Tecniqually, yes.

Historically and culturally? No.

A lot of people in the UK have Irish blood, Irish friends and a close affiliation with Ireland. Most people in the UK consider them as a home nation, despite what happerned in 1922. Technically you're correct, but you're being overly pedantic and a killjoy for no reason other than to prove a mundane fact. In 2011, they were part of a reformed home nation tournament (without England, and only briefly before it was cancelled again).

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Yes, we shouldn't really laugh at Scotland unless we are going to laugh at the other constituents of the British Isles with similar footballing ability, such as the ones you mention - Sark, Guernsey, Jersey and the IoM.

Do the Isle of Wight have an international football team? Do their fans wear kilts and support whoever England are playing? If so, we should probably laugh at them too.

But our relationship with the RoI is unlike our relationship with any other nation. Centuries of shared history, passports not necessary, we can vote in each other's countries and so on. It's not unreasonable to take notice of RoI results as Brits, much as the Scandi countries all "support" each other and the same with Benelux countries.

Yes The IOW do have a side that takes part in The Nat West Inter Island Games . In 2011 they won the tournament on home soil beating Yns Mons,Alderney ,Gibraltar [with most of their current squad in the team] Jersey and Guernsey in the Final in front of over a 2000 attendance. It was a fun week of Sun ,Beer and Football.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yes The IOW do have a side that takes part in The Nat West Inter Island Games . In 2011 they won the tournament on home soil beating Yns Mons,Alderney ,Gibralter [with most of their current squad in the team] Jersey and Guernsey in the Final in front of over a 2000 attendance. It was a fun week of Sun ,Beer and Football.

You seem well informed. Did Scotland get out of the group stages?

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
You seem well informed. Did Scotland get out of the group stages?

I was in attendance at 10 games in 5 days . Scotland were in attendance in the guise of the Western Isles in a group with Saare County and Aland ,true to form they failed to put a point on the board or even score a goal.

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
I have to say I am enjoying the Euros far more than I expected even without us in them, possibly because were not in them. Didn’t miss a qualifying home game over the last 10 years but the quality of football pushed me to jack it in. Hampden’s loss is the Amex gain as we used the cash we’d normally spend following Scotland to get me and the boy season tickets this year. :bhasign:

To be honest I wasn’t supporting Iceland but after this thread I’m off to show my support by purchasing a nice frozen prawn ring from one of their delightful high-street shops. M’on the blondies! :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Technically you're correct, but you're being overly pedantic and a killjoy for no reason other than to prove a mundane fact.
I want in, what do I need to do?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Can you water the plants and put the bins out please, we've decided to stay another week.

Thanks, #ENG #WAL #NIR #IRE x
I get far too much pleasure from how shit Scotland are :D

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
But our relationship with the RoI is unlike our relationship with any other nation. Centuries of shared history, passports not necessary, we can vote in each other's countries and so on. It's not unreasonable to take notice of RoI results as Brits, much as the Scandi countries all "support" each other and the same with Benelux countries.

Take notice of the Irish as Brits, they'd love that! More hatred for us over there than the whole of Europe put together.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I have to say I am enjoying the Euros far more than I expected even without us in them, possibly because were not in them. Didn’t miss a qualifying home game over the last 10 years but the quality of football pushed me to jack it in. Hampden’s loss is the Amex gain as we used the cash we’d normally spend following Scotland to get me and the boy season tickets this year. :bhasign:

To be honest I wasn’t supporting Iceland but after this thread I’m off to show my support by purchasing a nice frozen prawn ring from one of their delightful high-street shops. M’on the blondies! :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Well said Alba, I had the misfortune to be in your homeland for the run up to the 78 World Cup, and as a proud Englishman I have had better experiences, however, once the tournament started things got a lot better for me, very quickly.
I still hate that bloody Allies Army song though

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Why have Ireland been included they are not part of the UK, you may as well include any country that is left in the Euros if you are including Ireland.

**** me .....you could well have poland as bed buddy soon ....surely the irish have earned a bit of an attachment....???

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Why have Ireland been included they are not part of the UK, you may as well include any country that is left in the Euros if you are including Ireland.

Simply because we have, once you set aside historical discord, a unique relationship with the Irish. We know they are not part of the UK but we are intrinsically linked with them. Times are different now.

When they scored last night, like many, I was over the moon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here