[Football] Dear England - by Gareth Southgate

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The same reason that people insult others over the fact they adopt a different religion or that they they come from a different country or they have a different political belief or have a physical abnormality or a learning disability or use rhetoric that others disagree with or are just someone that others don't like.
As long as we are human beings and have fluidity in intelligence levels, maturity, tolerance and understanding then all the above and more will keep happening until the end of time. Countries will keep firing missiles at other countries. Politicians will keep saying one thing and doing the other. Religious dogma will continue to blight the globe and people will keep being rude and insulting to each other, in a society that is becoming less tolerant day by day.
It is a brave crusade to try and change human nature. The best we can strive for is for each and every one of us as parents to do our utmost to instil into our children a sense of worth, tolerance and understanding. To help our children to grow up with the ability to question and reason and to treat others with respect and dignity.

What a depressing answer. If humans had never changed we'd still be living in a cave, eating what we'd picked off trees or clubbed over the head and dying at the age of about 30.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
No doubt he wrote it and means it. Yes, I remember his tame missed penalty and the fact he continues to pick Mings instead of, say, Dunk. No, I'm not massively convinced about positional sacrifices made to protect a weak lower spine, due to all our good players being right backs, AMs and centre forwards. But I'm around the same age as him and had exactly the same excitement over the 1982 finals and Robson's goal (whilst wondering when I'd see Steve Foster). I too remember the 9-0. And 2018 will remain one of the best summers of my life. I know where I was for every gloriously sunny kick.

But most of all the below should be put on our screens in writing before games to explain just why a small and quick gesture is enacted before every game, a gesture you can miss by going and getting a beer from the fridge or remaining on the concourse if it really does offend your broflake sensibilities so much,

Why would you choose to insult somebody for something as ridiculous as the colour of their skin?

Why?

Small and quick gestures pre match by England players to recognise fashionable political movements (inspired by events abroad) is nothing new.

https://youtu.be/jlbLHviSTPc

I bet those that complained about appeasement back in the day were vilified as troublemakers and broflakes......plus ca change.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Small and quick gestures pre match by England players to recognise fashionable political movements (inspired by events abroad) is nothing new.

https://youtu.be/jlbLHviSTPc

I bet those that complained about appeasement back in the day were vilified as troublemakers and broflakes......plus ca change.

I have to admire both your dedication in making sure you post on all of these threads in case we missed what you think and your absolute unsurpassed abilities in the field of whataboutery. Have a gold star, Actually, no. Have a white one.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
People criticising Southgate should remember what England were like for the 20 years before he took charge. Yes, he makes some odd selections, but so do all managers (Potter!?), and he wants England to win the thing just as much as we do. I think the idea of having Mings at CB for England with Lewis Dunk not even in the squad is madness, but I'm never going to agree with every decision a manager makes. The job he has done in getting England players to shed that fear of the shirt is remarkable, and something that some of the best managers in the world weren't able to do with years of trying. So yes, he might get out-thought tactically in a big game, and yes he has dared to only picked one Brighton centre back, but he's made watching England enjoyable again, and we have the best chance for a very long time of winning something. I really can't see who else would have done a better job at this stage.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
All very eloquently put but, I am a bit worried, he says his grandad was fiercely patriotic and fought in WW2 but does not mention who he fought for :eek:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
This. Clearly a lovely chap but not good enough to be England manager however would be very happy to eat humble pie if he is successful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Who would you rather have (who would take the job), out of interest?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Who would you rather have (who would take the job), out of interest?

The list of English Managers under the age of 60, with experience of top English players and some personal success is short. . .

G Porter
Smug Ted
Dyche

LAmpard
Smith
Wilder

Obviously Leeds are bigger than England so Biesla would never be in contention, even with his hand written Blue passport from the queen

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I've decided to go all HWT on THAT poster. You know who he is. Why he hasn't been banned is a continuing mystery. Here he is derailing yet another thread with his racist, far right shit. So if the rest of you could not quote him that would be lovely and I can read some more balanced opinions on the rather nice piece Gareth Southgate wrote (possibly)

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I've decided to go all HWT on THAT poster. You know who he is. Why he hasn't been banned is a continuing mystery. Here he is derailing yet another thread with his racist, far right shit. So if the rest of you could not quote him that would be lovely and I can read some more balanced opinions on the rather nice piece Gareth Southgate wrote (possibly)

Soz for feeding a troll. I’ll keep him on ignore.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I have a lot of respect for Southgate as a leader and human being. Especially think he’s quite talented at working with young players. His psychological man management was impressive at the last WC (especially his preparation for penalties).

Is he a very good or great manager remains to be seen for me. At the last WC we pretty much turned over the lower tier teams we were expected to beat, and we were comfortably beaten by the first good teams we faced.

I look forward to seeing how we do this time and will be roaring them on as everyone will be.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Credit and respect where it's due, that was a stirring piece and most articulately put. He didn't have to do that, and I'm glad he did. With that and selecting Ben White, he's had a good week, and let's hope this continues through the tournament. It's certainly helped me feel more behind the team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports