Dean Wilkins Man Management

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

deano seagulls

May 11, 2008
If Dean Wilkins man management was that bad then why is it the only players that seemed to have an issue him were the players that were released.

No player who is going to be released from the club is going to say "thank you for not giving me a contract"

It appears to me that none of the other players who are still at the club have had a problem with Dean Wilkins ( apart from Dean cox and Jake Robinson wth their toys)

If Dean Wilkins was that bad of person / coach why was he at the club for over 20 years - much longer than Dick

Also if he was that bad why on earth did we finish 7th - imagine where we would have been if the problems at christmas hadn't been caused - maybe promoted - we will never know - but if we had i'm sure no-one would have been on here slagging him off.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
If Dean Wilkins man management was that bad then why is it the only players that seemed to have an issue him were the players that were released.

No player who is going to be released from the club is going to say "thank you for not giving me a contract"

It appears to me that none of the other players who are still at the club have had a problem with Dean Wilkins ( apart from Dean cox and Jake Robinson wth their toys)

If Dean Wilkins was that bad of person / coach why was he at the club for over 20 years - much longer than Dick

Also if he was that bad why on earth did we finish 7th - imagine where we would have been if the problems at christmas hadn't been caused - maybe promoted - we will never know - but if we had i'm sure no-one would have been on here slagging him off.

It's not. It's just they haven't gone public.

Dean isn't a bad person - no-one is suggesting he is, apart from you refuting the claim that no-one has made.

His coaching skills - Kerry aside - haven't been called into question.

No one has said he was a bad coach. But there is a world of difference between coaching youth team players and managing full time experienced and established professionals. That all comes down to the fine arts of man management. So, as a manager some players opinion was different to his - big deal - show me a manager who has not had problems with players - even Wenger and Ferguson have had to crack the whip sometimes. And given how the club treated him and Ian Chapman as a player, he of all people should have realised that.

And much of the time that he spent at the club was a PLAYER so nothing at all to with his ability to manager players

And you might well ask WHY we finished 7th (rather than HOW we finished 7th.)

Good question. Any answers?

Last edited:

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Well, this is what happens when a manager goes the way DW did.

No-one actually knows why, so every soundbite from players is exaggerated and as Dean has no way to reply this is what happens.

I would say that Mayo probably said this much more off the cuff than has been reported but it is clear that all wasn't well under Wilkins management.

Was he out of his depth, did he fall out with a board member, was it to do with falling attendances ? Unless the club actually make an official statement which is more and more unlikely as days go by, we will never know.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Oh can't we move on now? Myself and others have been critical of both the deed itself and/or the way it was handled - but it's done. Even I'm bored with discussing it now and that's saying something.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
No one has said he was a bad coach. But there is a world of difference between coaching youth team players and managing full time experienced and established professionals.

One of his failings, IMHO like, was that he failed to treat former youth team players as men when they made the first team setup. The number of times Jakey would score an important goal, play very well, only to be slapped down in post-match interviews and plonked on the bench next game to 'keep his feet on the ground'. Might work well with a 16 year old, but a first team player is just going to get seriously hacked off and think 'what more do I have to DO? :shrug: )

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
One of his failings, IMHO like, was that he failed to treat former youth team players as men when they made the first team setup. The number of times Jakey would score an important goal, play very well, only to be slapped down in post-match interviews and plonked on the bench next game to 'keep his feet on the ground'. Might work well with a 16 year old, but a first team player is just going to get seriously hacked off and think 'what more do I have to DO? :shrug: )

Have to agree with that. As much as i liked Wilkins, his treatment and comments about some players was a touch bizarre. Understated comments at times and over the top reactions at other times. The best managers tend to keep to a more middle ground when commenting in public.

But it's all in the past now, so heigh-ho...

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
It's not. It's just they haven't gone public.

Dean isn't a bad person - no-one is suggesting he is, apart from you refuting the claim that no-one has made.

His coaching skills - Kerry aside - haven't been called into question.

Good to see Kerry continuing his inconsistency !!!

10th June 2008 Kerry says "Dean Wilkins is probably one of the best coaches there is around''

and in the same interview offered this :

"I always got on well with the manager and all the coaching staff''

''I think overall the season Dean Wilkins had was a successful one''

But now he is saying how much of a laugh it is and last year was all too textbook ( professional maybe ! ) !!

Its a throw away comment that I would suspect is something directed to endear himself with the current coaching staff rather than to in someway be disparaging to Wilkins.

Players ALWAYS have there own agenda, and it is always themselves they try to look after and no amount of kissing the badge will allow me to think otherwise.

Maybe players at this level really cannot conform to the levels of professionalism that players and managers at higher levels readily accept.

The most basic of requirements would for players to achieve a level of fitness that would give them every chance to have an advantage over their opponents or at least be equitable to them, but we ourselves have seen some of our own player's blatantly out of shape, some performing admirably, but woefully under their own potential.

I am sure that there has been lots of laughing in training this week ( sniggers too from some of the pro's in response to the latest signings ! ), but I hope too that they are focused and prepared and prepared as well as Wilkins would of demanded.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Good to see Kerry continuing his inconsistency !!!

10th June 2008 Kerry says "Dean Wilkins is probably one of the best coaches there is around''

and in the same interview offered this :

"I always got on well with the manager and all the coaching staff''

''I think overall the season Dean Wilkins had was a successful one''

But now he is saying how much of a laugh it is and last year was all too textbook ( professional maybe ! ) !!

Its a throw away comment that I would suspect is something directed to endear himself with the current coaching staff rather than to in someway be disparaging to Wilkins.

Players ALWAYS have there own agenda, and it is always themselves they try to look after and no amount of kissing the badge will allow me to think otherwise.

Maybe players at this level really cannot conform to the levels of professionalism that players and managers at higher levels readily accept.

The most basic of requirements would for players to achieve a level of fitness that would give them every chance to have an advantage over their opponents or at least be equitable to them, but we ourselves have seen some of our own player's blatantly out of shape, some performing admirably, but woefully under their own potential.

I am sure that there has been lots of laughing in training this week ( sniggers too from some of the pro's in response to the latest signings ! ), but I hope too that they are focused and prepared and prepared as well as Wilkins would of demanded.

:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports