Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Dean Cox

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing are my old home-town club. I spent many a miserable Saturday afternoon at Culver Road in the Sixties and early Seventies watching them lose, and having paid no attention to their results for about the past 35 years I've been following them recently since reading a couple of threads on here. (And finding out that by historical standards they are absolutely flying).

This is terrible news. We'll be in the Worthing league by Christmas, you mark my words.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Lancing are my old home-town club. I spent many a miserable Saturday afternoon at Culver Road in the Sixties and early Seventies watching them lose, and having paid no attention to their results for about the past 35 years I've been following them recently since reading a couple of threads on here. (And finding out that by historical standards they are absolutely flying).

This is terrible news. We'll be in the Worthing league by Christmas, you mark my words.
More bad news, the Worthing League is long gone, merged with Brighton league over a decade ago.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
More bad news, the Worthing League is long gone, merged with Brighton league over a decade ago.
Blimey, really? I am out of touch.

EDIT: Yeah, I just googled it. The combined Brighton and Worthing League only has 16 teams! When I played In the old WL I think there were three divisions and about 36 teams.

Last edited:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Just shows how little sport people play now.. In my days were 12/14 divisions in Brighton League. Same for Sunday League

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013

EDIT: Yeah, I just googled it. The combined Brighton and Worthing League only has 16 teams! When I played In the old WL I think there were three divisions and about 36 teams.
For reasons i can't really understand, the Mid Sussex League seems to be the popular one these days even though it contains teams from Hastings to Surrey.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
For reasons i can't really understand, the Mid Sussex League seems to be the popular one these days even though it contains teams from Hastings to Surrey.
It may be because that League has official Step 7 status, meaning you can get promoted from it into the SCFL and the pyramid.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019

I ran a team in the Brighton & Worthing League until fairly recently. In our first season there were 5 divisions and by the time we left it was down to 2. Main issues were cost of pitch hire which is astronomical in B&H for what you get and also just managing to get a team together. Kick offs are at 2pm on saturdays which means anyone going to, for example, a Brighton game is immediately out and it was also hard to get any players who had kids as it just took up a lot of time in the middle of the day. There was also an annoying lack of refs which meant the home team would often have to source their own.

It really wasn't a pleasant experience running a team in that league so it's no surprise that countless clubs drop out of it every year and it's now down to 1 division

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
It may be because that League has official Step 7 status, meaning you can get promoted from it into the SCFL and the pyramid.

yes that's my understanding. The top clubs in the B, H&W league found it really hard to move up (although a few did like Brighton Electric and Montpelier Villa). A few of them migrated over to the Mid Sussex League I think

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Just shows how little sport people play now.. In my days were 12/14 divisions in Brighton League. Same for Sunday League
People do 'sport' but it has to have lycra or expensive accessories and an over priced van.

The thought of only needing 2 old newspapers in your socks and a pair of boots is soooo last century Darling.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here