Dean Cox drops a bombshell

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Monsieur Leclerc

Café Rene. In disguise!
Apr 24, 2006
Oops, I mean hits a rocket.

Cox hits stunner for Albion Reserves
By Andy Naylor

Dean Cox was on the scoresheet as Albion Reserves beat Charlton 3-1 at Worthing this afternoon.

Cox, dropped for disciplinary reasons for the 3-0 victory at Swindon on Saturday, scored after 44 minutes with a right-foot curling shot from the edge of the area to make the score 2-1 to Albion. Nathan Elder opened the scoring after seven minutes, heading in a Cox cross, before Josh Wright levelled for Charlton with a free kick after a foul by Cox. Alex Revell added the third with a close-range volley on 74 minutes.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
as long as he doesnt walk back into the team on friday

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

meaning that what sort of message would it send out if a player dropped for disciplinary reasons walked straight back in after one game - especially a 3-0 victory - the first in a month in a league - away from home against a mid table side, in which the man who took his place, o'callaghan, ran the game, and his replacement on the right, fraser, also had a very good game

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
But at home shouldn't we be looking to attack a bit more - and Cox would give us that over Fraser on the right although I do feel Fraser deserves a start again.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
meaning that what sort of message would it send out if a player dropped for disciplinary reasons walked straight back in after one game - especially a 3-0 victory - the first in a month in a league - away from home against a mid table side, in which the man who took his place, o'callaghan, ran the game, and his replacement on the right, fraser, also had a very good game

The disciplinary matter has been dealt with, and is no longer an issue.

So now that it has been dealt with, we are now talking whether he gets back in on merit. And good though Tommy Fraser might have been (and I do rate him), while we're at home against a lower table side, the onus is on us to field an attacking side. Cox will probably therefore start.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
But at home shouldn't we be looking to attack a bit more - and Cox would give us that over Fraser on the right although I do feel Fraser deserves a start again.

yeah, that would be my ONE reason behind starting cox

having seen how dire gillingham were earlier in the season though, i think we should have enough about us to beating them with a defensive minded player on the right - and fraser hasnt done anything to deserve being dropped. however, if we do went to be more attack minded, personally i would switch robinson to the right and bring rents in on the left. he is a decent enough player on the ball and could do a job on the left, plus it will be good to give him some match time as it is extremely likely he will be in on boxing day once richards goes back

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

having seen how dire gillingham were earlier in the season though, i think we should have enough about us to beating them with a defensive minded player on the right - and fraser hasnt done anything to deserve being dropped. however, if we do went to be more attack minded, personally i would switch robinson to the right and bring rents in on the left. he is a decent enough player on the ball and could do a job on the left, plus it will be good to give him some match time as it is extremely likely he will be in on boxing day once richards goes back

Hang on - you say an attacking line-up is required, so you want the defensively minded Rents in?

Fraser will almost certainly make way for Cox - and rightly so. There is no issue with Cox playing now. You might not rate him, but Wilkins does, and much of the rest of the division's managers and fans certainly do.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Hang on - you say an attacking line-up is required, so you want the defensively minded Rents in?

Fraser will almost certainly make way for Cox - and rightly so. There is no issue with Cox playing now. You might not rate him, but Wilkins does, and much of the rest of the division's managers and fans certainly do.
Rightly so, my arse. Fraser has barely put a foot wrong in the last two games and - as far I'm concerned - now owns the shirt because of Cox's ill discipline. Added to the fact that we've just won 3-0 away from home and it means that Cox doesn't start in Fraser's place.

And I say that as a fan of Cox.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Rightly so, my arse. Fraser has barely put a foot wrong in the last two games and - as far I'm concerned - now owns the shirt because of Cox's ill discipline. Added to the fact that we've just won 3-0 away from home and it means that Cox doesn't start in Fraser's place.

And I say that as a fan of Cox.

Woah! I didn't say Fraser doesn't deserve his place. He does.

I'm saying that if Wilkins wants to go for maximum fire power on Friday, he picks Cox ahead of Fraser - assuming he's not going to drop O'Callaghan and Hammond. If Wilkins doesn't want to go for it, the team stays as is. I would say 'rightly so' because I think Gillingham are there for the taking.

Having said that, I can see a scenario where Wilkins puts Cox in the team and he subsequently has a mare. That would be just sodding typical.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I strongly suspect he'll start Fraser over Cox, we'll romp into a 2 goal lead, he'll make the half time swap and we'll end up winning by 4 or 5.

Leaving himself the same very pleasant dillemma for the Millwall game. :)

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

Fraser will almost certainly make way for Cox - and rightly so. There is no issue with Cox playing now. You might not rate him, but Wilkins does, and much of the rest of the division's managers certainly do.

rents delivery and his range of passing is superb. he might not have the ability to go past a man like cox and robinson - but that doesnt mean he cant be an attacking outlet with his ability to play a decent pass. just because his natural position is left back, doesnt mean he is a defence minded player

for the record, i do rate cox - i just think he has been off form for quite a long time now. if he does start, hopefully being dropped will be the kick up the arse he needs to get back to being the player he was last season, although when he was dropped for one game earlier in the season it didnt appear to make a huge amount of difference

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
If I was a betting man i'd put my money on Cox being among the subs on friday.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
spoke to him 2nite at the xmas party,top fella imo,great with the kids in fact i would say one of the best

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton

Yeh I would agree on that but I'm pretty sure it won't happen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports